GaryB

One ton arbor press

Modified one ton harbor freight arbor press which will accept most all crafttools with a shaft diameter of 7/16" with auxiliary fence attachment.  Not my design, seen it on youtube and had to make one!

leather press resized1.jpg

Very nice! And nice tool holders and work bench, as well...from what I can see :-)

Thanks DD, the leather press works beyond expectation, the ability to do border stamping is quick and painless.  I also made another fence for the ability to border stamp round and odd shaped leather projects.

Did you grind the bottom 2 teeth off to make it adjustable? We did and love the fact you can reposition the handle to something comfortable.

There is a thread on here somewhere which shows a useful spring modification to pull the handle and ram back up ... Haven't modified mine but will eventually since it looks useful!.

Bill

No Themodifier I did not remove the 2 teeth wasn't sure if I wanted to do that but am now reconsidering the idea.  The other thing that I wanted to do is to find a machinist and have brass bushings made with a O.D of 7/16" and a I.D in 4 different sizes to accommodate the different sizes  handles on the craftools. They still fit in the 7/16" hole in the ram but felt the bushings would be a added feature.  

Billybopp, I have looked at several ideas for a spring return but not sure if I want to add that as of yet.

drilling a hole with a set screw may also be useful to assist holding the tools in the ram.

I bought bushings at Lowes to fit in my arbor press - they have several inner diameter sizes that should work for you and will be much less expensive than having brass bushings machined!

That is exactly how I accomplished that Themodifier, drilled a 7/16" hole in the bottom of the ram 1" deep and then crossed drilled and tapped 10/32 hole with allen screw. 

Garypl, very interesting about the bushings at lowes, I never even thought about trying lowes, thanks for the heads up!

Let me know if you find what you need - I think I drilled a 3/8" hole in the ram and I know they have 3/8" bushings at Lowes.  Good luck!