enginecoleather

Help with the Tippmann Boss

I am having a heck of a time getting the boss set up right.  I mainly want to use 415 thread and plan to sew 2 8oz veg tan pieces together with a light 2oz backer.  I had trouble when I first got the machine and sent it back to tippmann and they told me my timing was way off, which I don't know how since I didn't mess with any of that stuff.  I have been using the 794-250 needle and have trouble even picking up first stitch.  The machine will sometimes pick up but wont sew constantly. I have adjusted all the tension as recommended and have lost patients with this machine!  I hope this wasn't a bad investment as I had previously hand stitched everything and was hoping to cut down on my sewing time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kale

9 minutes ago, enginecoleather said:

I am having a heck of a time getting the boss set up right.  I mainly want to use 415 thread and plan to sew 2 8oz veg tan pieces together with a light 2oz backer.  I had trouble when I first got the machine and sent it back to tippmann and they told me my timing was way off, which I don't know how since I didn't mess with any of that stuff.  I have been using the 794-250 needle and have trouble even picking up first stitch.  The machine will sometimes pick up but wont sew constantly. I have adjusted all the tension as recommended and have lost patients with this machine!  I hope this wasn't a bad investment as I had previously hand stitched everything and was hoping to cut down on my sewing time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kale

Yes I am

I don't know the needle you spoke of, . . . 

But try this, . . . take a similar needle and your 415 thread, . . . put the thread in the needle on a piece stretched tightly between your hands about 30 inches long.

Now lift one hand up about 15 inches above the other one.

The needle should easily slide down the string, . . . if it does not, . . .  the needle hole is too small, . . . which will not allow the string to get picked up like it is supposed to.  Or at least that is what I've seemed to find with my Boss.

Another thing you might want to try, . . . drop down to 346 thread, . . . the one sold at Tandy's.

I use it almost exclusively, . . . it is very strong, . . . looks really good, . . . and of all the thread I've used in the last 10 years or so, . . . it has been the one that gave me the least headaches.

May God bless,

Dwight

I am using the 794 chisel point series needles from tippmann, the size 250 is what is recommended for 415 thread.  The needle moves very easily up and down the thread. 

#27 may be more of what you are familiar with?

Edited by enginecoleather

I will give the 346 thread a go tomorrow when I get home and see where I can get with that.  Anymore tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

The 346 thread wouldn't even pick up or sew one single stitch.  I have had the best luck with 415 and actually using a smaller needle than recommended.

OK, . . .   (260) 441-9603  is the number, . . . ask for Jamie (if I remember correctly).

Dude knows his machine, . . . 

I live 3 hours away, . . . twice I've taken my machine up there, . . . both time fixed "el quicko" and both times it was no cost other than the supplies I bought.

****  Had to come back, . . . thought of something, . . . when you drop your bobbin full of thread in, . . . is the thread coming off clockwise or counter-clockwise.  It only works the right way, . . . going off counter clockwise.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I think i have settled on running 277 thread.  The machine operates best with this thread size and and a 200 needle combination.  I have ran every size thread and every size needle thru it and have adjusted it in every way possible, but now know the machine just seems to like this the best.  Thanks for all the help.