Sign in to follow this  
leatherator

DIY Line Finisher

I'm looking into making (or buying, on the off chance that flying pigs are sighted) a line finisher.  It's mainly for shoe/boot making.

What are the essential features?  Looks like a muslin and horsehair wheel would be really useful.  Also, a burnishing wheel.  A few sanding wheels.  What about trimming/cutting wheels?  I usually see cordwainers cutting soles by hand.  And the tool used for marking stitches on a welt?  Is that essential or just nice-to-have?  Also, I see some cone-shaped wheels that look like vitrified grinding wheels.  What are those for?  A shelf seems important.  And what other features would you want?

What about belt sander wheels vs drums?  Seems like the drums would be a lot simpler and the belts would be higher performance.

I suspect there will be lots of "just buy one" and "you can pick one up at an auction for cheap" and "DIY is a false economy" thoughts.  I don't mean to start a debate about DIY or acutioning or whatever.  I'm just trying to understand the basic requirements for a line finisher.  

Cant help ya with what is needed and what each is required. I am more curious how a do it yourself setup would work out. Besides having to turn all the units would require some horsepower but also have to remove the main shaft to replace belts and such. Almost wonder if several separate machines on a 8ft work bench for example would be a better solution. 

Do you have any shoe repair places in your town? If you do I would see if they were up to answer some of your questions or even let you watch (may be less distracting) while they use there equipment. Probably a long shot but worth a try. As always some fresh coffee and donuts go a long way to getting questions answered. 

our shop used a Jackmaster all in one, a compact and efficient line finisher, came with 2 burnishing wheels, 2 sanding wheels, a 4x42 sanding belt, a cutting wheel and 2 muslin wheels and a horsehair finishing wheel. I saw Cobra makes one similar, if you can get your hands one one similar, they are worth their weight in gold, not only for boot and shoe repair but regular leather work as well! once you get use to having one it is really hard to go without :(:(:(