rktaylor

Oak Leaf Design

It's not floral, but I would entertain comments or critiques.

Randy

Saddle04 002 small.jpg

Saddle04 005 small.jpg

You got some wrinkles in your stirrup leather LOL just kidding looks real good great job

Both sides are wrinkled the same, so it's balanced. Thanks for the comments.

It looks nice.  The only recommendation I have would be to use a smooth matter or figure beveller to matte down the halo around the leaf carving.  It would make the leaves pop up from the surface of the leather.  The old craftool figure bevellers will work for this, though modern ones tend to leave tool marks (unless Tandy has improved those tools too.)  Barry King has started making tools like this now and Clay Miller would be a good source, and of course there is Robert Beard if you are looking for the perfect tool for this.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't quite understand it. What do you mean by halo? Can you attempt to clarify? Thanks,

Randy

55 minutes ago, rktaylor said:

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't quite understand it. What do you mean by halo? Can you attempt to clarify? Thanks,

Randy

I'm referring to the dark outline your beveller leaves around the leaf carving, the trough the beveller causes as you bevel the lines you cut with the swivel knife.  A matting tool flattens down the dark outline and makes it look level with the rest of the leather around it, so your leaves will appear to rise above the leather surface.  It will also smooth your beveling.  In a few places I can see individual tool marks in the beveling around the leaves.

Does that help?

The design is pretty, and I like the way you worked it into the basket weave. Did you build the saddle as well?

Thanks Bob. That makes more sense. One more thing to learn.

CaptQuirk, Yes I built the saddle. There are more pictures in the saddle gallery under "Small Ranch Saddle." 

Randy