BillinOK

Aerostitch Problems again

Aerostitch......Started to sew a project today and when the needle goes down, it either #1 goes all the way down and stops, will not return up.  Acts like it run out of air....or #2 it returns (goes up) only part of the way causing the stitch not to tighten, then goes back down.  It is very sporadic in doing this....sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.  But it can be certain it'll do it if you are sewing a project so it can mess it up.  I did notice air coming out around the #56 return button housing, can't remember if it should or not while it was running.  I have about had it with this machine.  Called Tippmann, but they were closed. Any ideas??

aerostitch.JPG

Not knowing anything about the aerostitch that #56 looks like it has a o-ring groove on it which could be leaking by causing your sporadic air pressure issues. Generally an air operated "operator" doesnt vent area unless its out a designated vent path which I assume goes out some of the lines on the main valve mounting plate but not sure without seeing the whole diagram. Its also generally regulated to some degree which if there is a leak that regulation wont be properly regulated. 

UPDATE*****

I think I have found the problem.  Got new O rings for the main valve and it's still leaking bad.  I think the main valve #64 threads are shot.  The end cap that seals, when screwing it on, slips.  This is causing the leaking of the air.  Called Tippmann again and those main valves are expensive.  Does anyone have a used one they could let go of?

Edited by BillinOK

What the heck is that?  

don´t know the machine but when a valve with a threaded cap is leaking through it´s threading I´d try some loctite or JB weld. At least worth a try when its it shot anyway.

1 hour ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

What the heck is that?  

What is what? Who made who? Back in Black?

3 hours ago, BillinOK said:

UPDATE*****

I think I have found the problem.  Got new O rings for the main valve and it's still leaking bad.  I think the main valve #64 threads are shot.  The end cap that seals, when screwing it on, slips.  This is causing the leaking of the air.  Called Tippmann again and those main valves are expensive.  Does anyone have a used one they could let go of?

Can you post.a pic.of.the.part in question. Usually threads aren't used as a sealing surface in air systems.

2 photos show the main valve without the cap.  If looking at the white part, there is an O ring on it.  You can see the threads are messed up.  I guess over the years they became weak.  The cap, when screwed down, seals with the O ring and does not allow air to leak out.  The pic with the cap shows that it will not thread on right.  Once you get it started, trying to tighten causes the side not to go down, thus causing that side to allow air to come out.

The cap has a button that pushed in and out when air is present.  It has a very small O ring in it.  This button raises the sewing machine needle.

20161203_132818.jpg

20161203_133023.jpg

20161203_132916.jpg

Yep that's your issue. Time for a new valve. The threads look cross threaded or were at one time.

New valve will more than likely fix the issue. Just gotta be careful taking it apart and putting it back together

1 hour ago, MADMAX22 said:

Yep that's your issue. Time for a new valve. The threads look cross threaded or were at one time.

New valve will more than likely fix the issue. Just gotta be careful taking it apart and putting it back together

I found one on ebay for dirt cheap and its new old stock.  So I'm going to try that.  Thanks for your help, and everyone else!

1 hour ago, BillinOK said:

I found one on ebay for dirt cheap and its new old stock.  So I'm going to try that.  Thanks for your help, and everyone else!

Good deal Bill. Yeah that cap looks to be aluminum which is easy to goof up the threads ecspecially when going onto steel which I am not sure if the body is steel or not. Either way aluminum sucks for applications like that but its cheap so companies use it if they can get away with it. 

Good luck with the new valve when ya get it. 

20 hours ago, houndsnmules said:

can't you just re tap to next closest thread

They are more or less shot all the way down.  Can't beat $15 for a new one.

Bloody useless things!

Despite the fact that they are .0001% of the sewing machine market Tippman machines are 10% of the real problems that people post on this forum.

7 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Bloody useless things!

Despite the fact that they are .0001% of the sewing machine market Tippman machines are 10% of the real problems that people post on this forum.

Tandy is trying to change this........the market share part, not the problems part.....Upside is tandy is stocking big machine thread now(of what quality is to be seen)