Chrism

Harbor freight workbench or alternative

As with all starting I need a bigger space for cutting, tooling etc. Harbor freight has their bench on sale 119.99. question for you guys that have one and don't have. If you have one how well do you like it? There's a clamp already made into the wood. Also what cutting what surface do you use? The green cutting mats (hobby lobby for instance) can get pricey! notice some use pine to cut on. Would home depot, lowes etc have this? If I can get a nice sturdy table built for 100.00 I'd be doing good. It can be 5' long give or take. Been browsing the forums forever on this and on the Web. Can't seem to get my mind made up quite yet. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Bigger is better.  The tables I use now are getting a bit soft, so I'll be replacing them once I move.  Depends on the size work you'll be doing, of course, and the room you have available.  My buddy has a 30'x60' shop with 14' ceilings.. which is a bit much for me ;)

Still, I like a cutting table 8' x 4' ... which allows me to lay out an entire side of leather to view / cut.  2x4 frame covered with 3/4" plywood (you could likely get by with 5/8" plywood).  Screwed down to teh frame, and the whole thing held up with 4x4 posts (5 of em - one in the corners plus one half way down one side).  Then another "shelf" about 10-12" off the floor - this can be a framework as above covered with heavy cardboard, or better yet light plywood covered with heavy cardboard.

Cover teh top with 1/8 masonite (comes in 4'x8').  Drive a finish nail in opposite corners to retain it.  This will let you cut leather for a LONG time before it's scarred up... at which time you just pull the two nails, put on a new sheet (cost about $5) and go back to your business.  The bottom shelf holds more sides of leather - off teh floor, off the ground, and out of direct sunlight.

Now, you can't do this for $119, so HF starts to look quick n easy, but I think you'll want bigger soon.

Note my cutting table looks a bit like this, but i have 3 other tables plus a "rack" for hanging chrome leathers .... 

That's overkill considering space limited. hence why I mentioned the harbor freight model and I can set it up fairly quickly. But I like cutting with the Dewalt compound saw with a built in light that shines on the blade so you know exactly where it's going to cut ;). I built my own keezer (freezer converted into a kegerator). That was fun to build. Built a frame around the freezer, cut out oak trim and finished it with a cherry stain and sealer. The temp controller was home made. Perlic stainless taps. So I had 4 different beers (home brew). 

I bought that Harbor Freight bench almost 2 years ago and found it is exactly right for me. I bought  two 24"x 18" cutting mats from JoAnns and laid them end to end with double sided tape to hold them down. It rigidly supports ponding on my marble stamping slab and anvil for setting rivets and snaps. I use the end vise/clamp to hold a stitching pony and to clamp long pieces of glued leather before sewing. I have a 28" stool that puts me at the right working height.The only issue I had to deal with was to glue and clamp the bottom shelf into the dado groves. It wanted to spread the rails and not support the weight, I wanted to put on it. I would definitely buy another, especially on sale, at $120. I think I paid $160. 

jr

I have the bench too. Works great. If you don't cover the surface with cutting mats plug the holes in top or stuff falls in the drawers. And you HAVE TO put the top drawer in before bottom drawer or it won't fit.I am gonna take the clamp apart and put leather on it like a stitching pony.

I don't recalling my two table costing much more than about 110. each one is a 4x8 the other is a 2 x 8. both use a 4 x 8 x3/4 plywood for the top the 2 x 8 x 1 1/2 is the one sheet cut in half and 4 x 4 legs, if you have the saw you can cut most of the stuff yourself the 2 x 8 lowes cut the plywood in half for me at no cost,  the 4 x 8 table I did spend a little more on as I put it on big casters so that if I need to roll it around in the garage and make more room I can.  I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I built to my specs and still didn't go over the cost of what I would have paid for a ready to bolt together table but each to his own.

The workbench I use atm I think I'll just use Masonite. I don't have a lot of room. Xmas coming around the corner. stalking stuffers I'll be doing small items like Keychains etc. thanks for the info 

Normally I just build my own work benches, but a few months ago decided to buy this workbench from Sam's Club: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip

Its very well made from square tubular steel and rated for 1000 pounds.  I'm happy with the purchase although it is a bit smallish compared to my other benches... 25" X 72" but its perfect for what I wanted to do with it which was mostly stamping and drawing.  Price was $200

...Tony

On 11/24/2016 at 9:20 AM, JLSleather said:

Now, you can't do this for $119, so HF starts to look quick n easy, but I think you'll want bigger soon.

I bet i could do it.

1. sheet of 3/4 ply for top - $40
  2. sheet of 3/8 for shelf - $18
  3. 2 x 12' 2x6 studs for top rails - $19
  4. 2 x 12' 2x4 studs for bottom shelf rails - $13
  5. 4 x 8' 2x3 studs for shelf and top cross braced $10
  6. option a:)  2 x10' x 4x4 posts, 3 36" table legs out of each - $40
  7. option b:)  4 x 10' 2x4 studs doubled up for posts - $24 dollars.

Those are current canadian prices. While i am in an area with cheaper wood, our dollar is worth $0.75us right now.

It works out to $118 if you make the frame out of just 2x4 with 2x3 cross braces under table and shelf.

If you beef up the top rails to 2x6, and use doubled 2x4 posts it will cost $124

If you use 4x4 posts and 2x6 rails top and bottom with 2x4 support rails it is only $152.

$152 CAD= $114 american. Just enough left for a box of screws.

Edited by TinkerTailor

... Good point Tinker .. That also assumes that one has the woodworking tools and skills to do the job, which not everybody has.

Bill

20 minutes ago, billybopp said:

... Good point Tinker .. That also assumes that one has the woodworking tools and skills to do the job, which not everybody has.

Bill

It is pretty basic, the plywood is used full size, and the store will cut the studs down to 36" lengths for you. The 12' pieces get cut into a 4 and an 8 for an end and side rail. All you need is a drill and possibly a small hand saw or a jigsaw to cut notches in the bottom shelf where the posts are. Most big box hardware stores will rent you a drill for a few dollars.

This table design is also far superior to the harbor freight one. I have held trucks up on lighter weight frames. If the table is properly built, 2x6 rails with 4x4 posts every 4 feet will likely hold up 5 or 10 thousand pounds if not more. (An unsupported fir vertical 4x4 post 4 feet tall is rated for 17500lbs vertical load and 2x6 fir is rated to hold 4200lbs on a 4' span, and you have 2.)

Granted, some don't have the skills to work with wood, however the leather projects they are going to do ON the table have more complex construction than the table itself.....

Edited by TinkerTailor

I just bought another, from Harbor Freight, for my kid. And it has 4 felt lined drawers. Just sayin'.

jr

10 minutes ago, JREESER1 said:

I just bought another, from Harbor Freight, for my kid. And it has 4 felt lined drawers. Just sayin'.

jr

I looked at the harbour freight site and i see a woodworkers bench and a metal bench with a pegboard backing. Both are pretty good deals as general workbenches go, however for leather:

I have used a woodworkers bench before but got annoyed with the dog holes all over the top. I frequently had issues with these holes, like pushing my knife right through the leather and cutting mat all of a sudden when I went over one, messing up the cut. The vise was nice for clamping glue ups on smaller items like wallets. It also looks nice.

The metal one with the backboard is a good deal if you replace the top right away. If it is the same one we get up here, the frame is pretty sturdy but the benchtop is particle board and will not survive any hammering. Replacing the top or even skinning it with real ply is the way to go.

5 minutes ago, TinkerTailor said:

I looked at the harbour freight site and i see a woodworkers bench and a metal bench with a pegboard backing. Both are pretty good deals as general workbenches go, however for leather:

I have used a woodworkers bench before but got annoyed with the dog holes all over the top. I frequently had issues with these holes, like pushing my knife right through the leather and cutting mat all of a sudden when I went over one, messing up the cut. The vise was nice for clamping glue ups on smaller items like wallets. It also looks nice.

The metal one with the backboard is a good deal if you replace the top right away. If it is the same one we get up here, the frame is pretty sturdy but the benchtop is particle board and will not survive any hammering. Replacing the top or even skinning it with real ply is the way to go.

The one with pegboard at my hb is real flimsy looking and feeling. I'm gonna get some wine corks and put in the holes of the dog holes in my woodworking bench from hb. But I do find myself putting some tools like my slicker in the holes so I don't roll off. It's my only bench and only space so far. So it gets cutting boards, cardboard, and whatever shifted on it and off as needed for the step I'm at. Just starting out it works good but someday would like a bigger space and benches. Just gotta wait for the kids to move out.lol

I have two HF woodworking benches

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=wood+working+bench

I am not a fan of HF, but those benches are actually very nice. I use them for tooling, cutting, dying, and general assembly work on leather.    

I have a HF woodworkers bench as well, I did want a larger surface so I added a solid core door to the top, Works great.

On 11/28/2016 at 9:03 AM, TinkerTailor said:

I bet i could do it.

1. sheet of 3/4 ply for top - $40
  2. sheet of 3/8 for shelf - $18
  3. 2 x 12' 2x6 studs for top rails - $19
  4. 2 x 12' 2x4 studs for bottom shelf rails - $13
  5. 4 x 8' 2x3 studs for shelf and top cross braced $10
  6. option a:)  2 x10' x 4x4 posts, 3 36" table legs out of each - $40
  7. option b:)  4 x 10' 2x4 studs doubled up for posts - $24 dollars.

Those are current canadian prices. While i am in an area with cheaper wood, our dollar is worth $0.75us right now.

It works out to $118 if you make the frame out of just 2x4 with 2x3 cross braces under table and shelf.

If you beef up the top rails to 2x6, and use doubled 2x4 posts it will cost $124

If you use 4x4 posts and 2x6 rails top and bottom with 2x4 support rails it is only $152.

$152 CAD= $114 american. Just enough left for a box of screws.

Pretty much what I have done for a few benches in my garage. I usually have lowes split the plywood in half so its 2'x8' then double them up. Gives ya a good solid 1.5" top that I line with whatever if I am using it for leather. Everything else is easy peasy to cut with a chop saw, as cheap as ya can get those things why not. 

I built a 2 1/2 foot by 7 foot table frame out of an old wooden swing set, used 1/2 inch plywood for the top, then covered it with 1/8 luane to protect it from due, cuts, and unwanted impactsI also acquired a one foot by four foot by 3/8 inch thick white nylon cutting board to make all my cutting on! I use an old hickory tree tree limb as my impact post to set snaps and rivets. Now I'm working on an adjustable stitching pony/horse to stand or sit while hand stitching. I made tools out of galvanized pipes, I've even picked up some 2 1/2 inch plastic rods to make mallets with, just looking for wood dowels to make handles with. You don't have to follow the rules when it comes to leather working tools, corporations want you to purchase their products, just don't waste your cash on shhtuff made in China, they won't last and it will frustrate you to no end!

Edited by Doc Reaper
Had to leave table to answer call

I've been looking at the 2x4 Basics workbench legs the past few days. Theyre heavy duty plastic legs for $50. The bench would end up being about 36" high. 

You just cut 2x4s for the length and width that you need. Looks very easy to assemble. Even has screw holes in the legs already and holes for two shelves under the top. 

I might splurge on a nice maple top if I go this route, that way I can just cut directly on the top and remove the top once in a while and sand it smooth again. That would also save on having to buy the cutting mats which are expensive in the large sizes. 

Form the reviews I've seen, I have no doubt the legs are heavy duty. I just think the plastic legs will be kind of ugly to look at. 

This setup might look silly to a woodworker, but I'm not one and id rather just spend $50 to know my table will not be wobbly. 

I use the HF bench as well. With a coupon code it came out around $107.

Take your time installing it and glue all the joints with Gorilla wood glue, and it is rock solid. One of the very best things they sell for leatherworking (Other is the deablow hammers and razor knives).

I have used expensive tables before and you can't build a table this good for even twice the cost.   What I have realized is you quickly need more than 1 ,2 or even 3 benches.  Need a whole workshop :)

30 minutes ago, KeithHideWorks said:

I have used expensive tables before and you can't build a table this good for even twice the cost.  

You can build a stronger table for the same cost, cheaper if you look around for lumber/wood on CL. 

I'd like to fix up a smaller one just for stamping this year, but knowing a bigger one is needed for throwing around pieces and parts is a must have. Weather one cuts on it or uses some mats atop it for task cutting comes in pretty handy, so I agree more room!

I guess if a person kept a workstation for stamping and some part left over for other small task, seems a pretty good idea. So if after awhile a stout table that's still able to be moved around was built. Then some replaceable top surface could be a benefit, say some contact cement or whathav ya applied and lay on another sacrificial top surface and Bam! get back to work.

I've thought about a 6' long and 5' wide lately as i really just need a tough top table. As there's already some table area for laying stuff but I have to keep them surfaces clear and no cut marks would be best.

Floyd

I had somewhat the same dilemma, . . . went to Joann Fabric, . . . bought their big table top cutting mat (36 x 60) and put it down on my 3/4 inch plywood topped table with double sided carpet tape.  That was several years ago, . . . still holding up well.

Check with Google, . . . sometimes get a 50% off coupon, . . . mostly just 40%, . . . but they are like $60 apiece, . . . and with all the lines and measurements on them, . . . they are worth every penny, . . . at least to me it is.

May God bless,

Dwight

my work bench.jpg

Edited by Dwight

My 2016 very simple yet very tough 2x4 workbench with a 3/4" plywood top was be made for $35- 40 add $12 more for another plywood project panel if you want to double the thickness of the plywood bench top. Screw the 2x4's for the top together first squaring it up. Next screw on the plywood top and flip it over. Next clamp the legs in place checking they are vertical and secure the legs. With it upside down use 3/4" thick smaller plywood panels screwed to the legs on the ends of the bench this remove most if not all wiggle. Next flip it the entire bench right side up and  add  long horizontal 2x4 stretchers or 3/4" plywood lengthwise to join the leg for a very tough cheap workbench.

I bought a stainless steel table with pegboard back from Lowes a while back. While it's built well I don't recommend it for leather work. Unless you LIKE the sound of metal rattling every time you hit something with a maul. The drawers are nice though. I took the back off and it's not so bad but I'm thinking of the Harbor Freight one or home built one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-45-in-W-x-36-in-H-3-Drawer-Wood-Work-Bench/50109238

Edited by cradom