Got a template for a long wallet. I think it turned pretty good. It has a zipper pouch too but I didn't have a zipper. Soooooo. lol. It's 4/5 for the out side and 3/4 for the intereior.

received_10202705249107674.jpeg

received_10202705249067673.jpeg

Edited by Mattsbagger

looks good. could have gotten a little closer to the edge with your stitching but overall, looks good. Nice even stitching, even color and edges look pretty good. Using tandy awl thread?

Well done!  Very nice.  Generally on a piece that nice or darkly colored, I would tend to line the back piece or at least use a gum trag product and then slick down the flesh side fibers which will darken a bit in the process.

11 hours ago, Halitech said:

looks good. could have gotten a little closer to the edge with your stitching but overall, looks good. Nice even stitching, even color and edges look pretty good. Using tandy awl thread?

.08 Tiger with a Tandy Pro stitching chisel. I debated trying to slick the back or lining it. It was basically a test run on a template and something never built before. Some people use tan kote to slick back down too I read but not sure how well that works either. Still new to all of it.

Nicely done.

Nicely done! The only thing I see wrong is there is no makers mark. You don't want people to know who done this beautiful work?

2 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

.08 Tiger with a Tandy Pro stitching chisel. I debated trying to slick the back or lining it. It was basically a test run on a template and something never built before. Some people use tan kote to slick back down too I read but not sure how well that works either. Still new to all of it.

tan kote will slick it down however, on anything that will be bending, it may crack if you put it on too thick. just wet it down and run a glass slicker over it

On 11/25/2016 at 7:39 AM, Brown64 said:

Nicely done! The only thing I see wrong is there is no makers mark. You don't want people to know who done this beautiful work?

Thanks. I haven't got one yet. Been looking online for one. I saw Ian Atkinson from Leodis Leather in Leeds did a review on one for stamping and embossing that looks promising.

Very nice, but I think you should line your next one for sure.  Maybe a cool looking fabric?

Thank you. I guess I'm gonna have to buy fabric now.lol.:helpsmilie:What material works best? I'm assuming a synthetic one glued down to the entire main body panel and stitched.

Thank you. I guess I'm gonna have to buy fabric now.lol.:helpsmilie:What material works best? I'm assuming a synthetic one glued down to the entire main body panel and stitched.

Great job, Matt.

A for a makers mark, may I suggest Phillips Engraving in Springfield, Missouri. I have had great success with them, and their pricing is not bad at all.

To everyone hitting on the lining issue, here is some real fact-based information:  I used to line all of my wallets and card cases up until recently when I started getting asked about what type of material was being used for the exterior.  When I answered them that it was leather I was met with an immediate "I would rather see the raw leather than have it covered up" so, I started making all of my wallets and card cases without linings and the orders/sales have more than doubled.  When I was first taught how to do these things it always included the use of pigskin for lining but having learned that the modern shopper would rather see that it is real leather I have made the change and it has been a great thing.  So, take it for what it is worth but be open enough to adapt to what the customer wants and not how you want to make it.  After all, we make our leather goods for them and not us.  Now, unless otherwise requested as a custom option (who would have thought that this would be), lined interiors are not standard within my designs.

In regards to the wallet, it is very nice work, and the stitching is just fine too. It should be no more than 1/8" in from edge and it appears to be pretty much that.

which pattern did you use for these?  I am starting to do wallets my self and have not settled on a long wallet pattern to buy.

This is the one from Makesupply. It comes with a zippered pocket too. Didn't have a zipper when I made it. I have made a couple with pockets now will send if can find pic of those. He has a YouTube video on how to make it too. I lined this one with pigskin. It's very stiff and needed the strap to keep it closed. It's edged with Tandy pro edge paint. I like it but overall I do like the unlined ones better. I have a more roper style pattern I got off etsy too. If look at my chain driven wallet post. Also the Makesupply one can be digital download or order a acrylic template. https://www.etsy.com/listing/458845044/leather-patterns-projects-vol-1-iss-4 This is the other pattern I used call a pocket secretary. 

received_10203052094018580.jpeg

received_10203052093738573.jpeg

Edited by Mattsbagger

Cool, great job on that one too.

Edited by bikermutt07