Svey302

Keychain pattern

Good day,

Relatively new to leather working. I saw this key chain that I like because it is made from one piece of leather (I think). I am trying to come up with a similar version on paper but I have a hard time coming up with the solution. Looking at the pictures, I think that the 2 main rectangular portions should be at some angle to one another (45-60 degrees). I must be missing something to come up with a working pattern. Any suggestion(s)?

Tx

Yves

porte clef2.jpg

porte clef 2a.jpg

New also but it looks to me like just one piece folded 2 ways. 2 circlesupers on the top and narrows dow. Ik that don't help you but just have to keep drawing till you get it. Look at Tboice wall he might have something similar he draws and posts a lot of patterns. Good luck I go through a LOT of paper.lol

I did a search for Tboice but did not come up with anything. Can you make it a url link? I could browse his wall.

Tx

Roq, I am sorry, I must be thick (I am from Canada, so I can't even pretend I had to much to eat/drink yesterday). I have printed your suggestion, I am trying to fold the piece with the "antenna" but I don't get it.

I still think it is made from one piece of leather.

I have included a front and back pics.

newpic.jpg

newpic2.jpg

How much could one of these things cost?   Buy one, take it apart, instant pattern.  Just saying.

You are 100% correct, they go for 20$ usd but they are sold out. That would have been my first intention.

wow...20 bucks for a keyring?  I may start making them myself!!:rolleyes:

Well Tony, if you do I will buy one from you!!!

In the mean time, I am cutting individual pieces as I see them and I will assembled them with a hotglue gun, I should be able to figure it out before the new year.

1 hour ago, Svey302 said:

I did a search for Tboice but did not come up with anything. Can you make it a url link? I could browse his wall.

Tx

Tom Boyce dang aautocorrect. 

59 minutes ago, Svey302 said:

Roq, I am sorry, I must be thick (I am from Canada, so I can't even pretend I had to much to eat/drink yesterday). I have printed your suggestion, I am trying to fold the piece with the "antenna" but I don't get it.

You're excused, being from Quebec, we know you guys are always drunk ;)

Nah you'll have to modify Roq's pattern a little. Bottom antenna will have to be little longer than the top one. Also the the hole antenna section will have to come more downwards, well over the middle of the top. Just draw around a little and you'll figure it out.

It similar to where I was going, I had the antenna/tab crossing more like an X. I will printout your suggestion and play with it. Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Roq said:

more like this. 

try 2 Popsicle sticks, paper and tape 

key.JPG

Maken them two legs straight, extend the antennas and you're done. Just figured it out.

Hopefully Thor, I soon as I sober up, I should be able to figure it out.;)

Here is one option.  The main part is folded rather than forming a Y.  If you are using heavier weight leather like about 8 oz or so, gouge the inside to get a cleaner sharper fold.  Light leather like 2-3 oz does not make a nice loop.  Print the pattern, fold in half on the centre line and cut so you have a mirror image of the one side.  This was traced from a trial run 8 oz leather, wet molded to form it.  So some of it stretches a little, so the pattern is not symmetrical.  You will have to adjust the cut between the top ears to fit, so give yourself a little extra leeway.  Same for the size of the ears.  Large Chicago screw or concho needs larger ears.

You could experiment with main body so there is relatively no fold, and both edges would then look similar instead of one folded, and one not.

Have fun

Tom

KeyFob2.pdf

I'm not seeing a length-wise seam.  Matt is correct -- one piece.

Actually, if you look at the provided images very closely you will find that this is not folded down the centerline as some have indicated.  However, the attached sketch that @northmount has provided does give a more accurate design concept to it, just cut down the centerline to about 1/2" below where the neck starts; this concept would also be easier to work with than the design provided by @Thor but both of these ideas work so it is your choice.  I have made one of each based on the designs provided and they look pretty much spot on to the original image.  I did have to make an adjustment to the first version though as the neck area is too wide, I adjusted it down to 1/2" wide and it looked a lot better as the leather doesn't bunch up when you fold it through the ring.

7 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

Actually, if you look at the provided images very closely you will find that this is not folded down the centerline as some have indicated.  However, the attached sketch that @northmount has provided does give a more accurate design concept to it, just cut down the centerline to about 1/2" below where the neck starts; this concept would also be easier to work with than the design provided by @Thor but both of these ideas work so it is your choice.  I have made one of each based on the designs provided and they look pretty much spot on to the original image.  I did have to make an adjustment to the first version though as the neck area is too wide, I adjusted it down to 1/2" wide and it looked a lot better as the leather doesn't bunch up when you fold it through the ring.

Sorry can't take the credit. The pattern was by Roq.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Sorry can't take the credit. The pattern was by Roq.

Oops! Sorry about that guys.  Anyway, with some minor modifications you can get the first version to work great but the biggest down side I would have is the fact that once you start laying out a run of these things you will notice that the potential waste is going to be a bit high; always hated that with these unique designs but some of them just can't be passed up.

Thank you, I have tried both design. I did not think of using a thicker leather to get a smoother loop over. I will try that tonight. Tx

Yves

On 11/26/2016 at 5:09 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

I have tried with both design suggestions a couple of time but I must be doing something incorrectly because I am not seeing it. If you haven't discarded them already NVLeatherWorx, could you take a picture of your trial? Truth be told, my problem could be that I haven't got enough leather under my belt to tackle this project.

Tx for your help,

Yves

I couldn't resist trying to figure this out...  Could be something like this?  Maybe where it folds (the big part, not the part on the ring), use a V gouger?  

Just saw that my post is redundant... Northmount already went where I went only he did it better. :)

IMG_20161129_085954419.jpg

IMG_20161129_090054806.jpg

IMG_20161129_090025020.jpg

Edited by monicaj

12 hours ago, Svey302 said:

I have tried with both design suggestions a couple of time but I must be doing something incorrectly because I am not seeing it. If you haven't discarded them already NVLeatherWorx, could you take a picture of your trial? Truth be told, my problem could be that I haven't got enough leather under my belt to tackle this project.

Tx for your help,

Yves

Take my pattern above.  Shorten the neck by about a quarter inch, and cut up the fold line from the bottom to about equal with the screw holes and you should have what you need.  The loop was a little too long, so that is why you need to reduce the length of the neck a little.  I'm tied up on other stuff, else would make a new pattern along with a photo example.  

Tom

20 hours ago, Svey302 said:

Tx for your help,

Yves

I will do you one better and see if I can get my pattern off to you shortly.