Geargarcon,

It was a cream colored cowhide suede.  I don't recall off the top of my head where I got it from.

YinTx

On 12/15/2016 at 3:11 AM, YinTx said:

Thank you, Venator and Brown.

Here is the latest iteration.  It would be nice to know how to square out the bottom some instead of the rounded shape I end up with, so if anyone has suggestions:

Hahns Atelier have a video on Youtube about copying (?) the Hermes version. They use two full-size layers of fairly thin leather and sandwich a square of stiff split leather between them on the bottom.

3 hours ago, Klara said:

They use two full-size layers of fairly thin leather and sandwich a square of stiff split leather between them on the bottom.

That does square up the bottom nicely, and similar to what RockyAussie suggested.  Kinda tells me a single layer chrome tan isn't really going to be a flat squared off bottom like those.  I think Hahn's would have come out really nice if he had stitched the base so the leather didn't pull up when he formed it and put in the rivets, maybe I'll try one like that!

YinTx

A single layer of veg tan split leather won't be square or straight either, as I found out yesterday. But it does the job...

To help make the bottom to sides corner sharper, I do two things

1. I gouge a line on the inside of the tray where the fold will be, then I dampen the leather and fold it, tapping it with a light mallet so it makes a sharp corner

2. I use a thick card base insert. The card is compressed card such as you get in good quality document postal envelopes or the card envelopes used by Amazon

In both cases another leather covers the card

I still get a wee bit of a curve to the corner and it varies according to how much effort I make

example 1. Hex valet tray. Veg tan outside, card base, all lined with a very thin green leather

The Book of Ard Mhacha, no.1 set, 04LWs.jpg

Example 2. Small square tray. Veg tan outside, card base, stamped veg tan panel glued on inside over card. Sealed with acrylic varnish

J's tray, 01LWs.jpg  J's tray, 02LWs.jpg

Edited by fredk

I like your corners on the square tray! What shape did you cut them? The best shape I found yesterday was to round them off, but the result is very different from yours:

20210813_183559.jpg

I don't mind that the angles won't be as sharp as if it was a wooden tray  - I could always make a wooden tray if I wanted sharp angles and corners. And if I made a small stuff bowl in felt, it would be even more rounded...

Edited by Klara

25 minutes ago, Klara said:

I like your corners on the square tray! What shape did you cut them? The best shape I found yesterday was to round them off, but the result is very different from yours:

Do you mean the 'ears' ? I have a half-round chisel I used.  The whole tray flat was square cut. I glued up the corners, put in the rivet then used the half-round chisel on the 'ear'. On a few others I just cut the curve with my shears

edited to add a 

PS. When I glue up the corners I clamp with a piece of wood lolly stick on each side. Juggling them around into position I get a sharp side-side join which  helps keep the sides more upright. You can see this on the right 'ear' of the one in the right photo

Edited by fredk

Yes, I see. Your leather must be more flexible than mine, but this black plastic-coated sh*t is firstly easy to clean, secondly good enough to practice with and thirdly I'll be happy to use it up...