Colt Hammerless

Round and Head Knives. W.Roses and Osbornes

I've got some round/head knives for sale.  Prices are plus shipping.

#1 is a Newark marked Osborne.  This knife if really nice and heavy, with a really gorgeous handle.  Blade is 5 inches wide.  There's slight movement of the blade in the handle, though I don't notice it when using it.  Sharp and ready to use.  $80

P1100098_zpsb3kt1da1.jpg

P1100099_zpschtvvii0.jpg

#2 is a really nice William Rose.  Blade is just shy of 5.75 inches wide.  Blade and ferrule are nice and tight.  Sharp and ready for use.  $120

P1100102_zpsqeqc9iuw.jpg

P1100106_zps9lg75b3s.jpg

#3 is a neat little Newark marked Osborne that's great for sharp curves.  Blade is 3.5 inches wide.  Sharp and ready to use. $70

P1120047_zpswt2ndsm3.jpg

P1120048_zpstkv90stz.jpg

P1120054_zps4pcgpbof.jpg

#4 is interesting.  It's a William Rose.  The blade is just shy of 5 inches.  I showed it to Bruce Johnson some time back, and he thinks it's in a different handle (likely an Osborne).  The blade is nice and tight in the handle.  It has a bit of gunk on it, possibly some red paint.  I was anxious to use the knife, so sharpened it up instead of cleaning the blade.  There's a crack in the handle where the pin (which is missing) goes through.  Someone scratched the year "1893" into the wood of the handle, and also scratched several state abbreviations into the brass ferrule (I assume indicating different places they worked while a leather worker).  States include, PA, VA, MD, IN, IL, MO.  Also, not visible in the picture above the "PA" are the initials "H.H."  Possibly the previous owners initials.  Not perfect, but cuts wonderfully.  If you'd like to try Rose steel, without paying "Rose Prices" this one will do nicely.  Sharp and ready to use. $80

P1120067_zpsecv5ce9o.jpg

P1120065_zpsrzekgxnn.jpg

P1120063_zpsmira1wyc.jpg

P1120062_zps5lunczpg.jpg

P1120061_zpssnjxlgap.jpg

Paul

I see the W. Rose #2 is not actually round as some of the other blades. Has this possibly been poorly sharpened at some time, or what else might be the reason?

Message sent.

It's not uncommon to see these old round knives not-so-round anymore, and it is due to sharpening.  That Rose is not at all bad - I've seen some that are practically triangular.  This one has plenty of meat and many many years of sharpening and life left in it, particularly if you're a hobbyist - it'll likely outlive your grandkids with a little care.  Sharpening a curve like these aint easy to get the hang of, but it certainly can be done..   I have a Gomph that's shaped much like this Rose, and it works great!   I'm told that once sharpened, a Rose will hold its edge like no other.  Bruce Johnson once posted a quote on here:  "A Rose knife is harder than a whore's heart and sharper than a wife's tongue".  

Enjoy!

Bill

Bill said it pretty much as well as I can.  Probably wasn't made that way by Rose, but over the many decades, it's been sharpened to where it's not quite as round any longer.  I've seen some of those triangular ones as well Bill.  Some of them look pretty useful, and I often wonder if a previous owner didn't re-shape their knife on purpose.  I've noticed that knives with a bit more of a point in the center do a bit better at skiving, than a purely round knife.  

I've seen that quote about Rose before, and it's pretty true.  I have a Henckels that holds it's edge for a long time as well, and Gomphs are well known for that also.  Never had a problem with a good ole' Osborne (either Newark or early Harrison) holding it's edge for a good while for that matter.

Paul