Sign in to follow this  
JLSleather

Bodyguard 380 w/clip

Anybody seen one of these done... simple owb clip on for the bg380 with a laser?  I've seen a few done, but not one done well.  Got a gal who wants one, but I aint seein' how to keep the clip from interferin' with the laser toggle. 

Not familiar with that pistol or the lazer, but I had a similar issue with the wife's SD40. I ended up rotating the lazer so that the switch didn't contact the holster. If you don't like that answer, you could form a groove in the holster so that the switch clears it.

So that's one "no".  I admit, I never did "get" why someone posts to a forum to say "i don't know ..."

Actually, ya know...I think it's unlikely - so I'll just go on lay one out myself :dunno:

Edited by JLSleather

45 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

Not familiar with that pistol or the lazer, but I had a similar issue with the wife's SD40. I ended up rotating the lazer so that the switch didn't contact the holster. If you don't like that answer, you could form a groove in the holster so that the switch clears it.

Thank you for giving the rest of us a couple of ideas that may help us out in a similar situation.

Glad to

6 minutes ago, Roq said:

Thank you for giving the rest of us a couple of ideas that may help us out in a similar situation.

Glad to help if I can.

Interesting... I haven't scratched my head this much over a holster design in.. well - maybe ever? :rofl:

Can't find a usable clip less than 7/8" wide, and this little gun doesn't allow room for that...(before piping in, guy might consider that's 7/8" PLUS space to attach it).

I don't get it. It's alright for you to "think out loud" on the forum, but not CaptQuirk?

What's to "get"?  Not my forum, so not my call who says what, or when.  When I do post, I actually like to encourage thinking ;)

I don't know that guy (and next month, I still won't), so :dunno: .  Post to not answer seems strange to me.  

I suppose I'm unlike some others in the sense that when I ask a question, I really am interested in an answer -- not simply killing time or begging attention.  In fact, maybe somebody could fill me in on how you "rotate the laser"  out of the way on a S/W M&P Bodyguard? 

34 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Can't find a usable clip less than 7/8" wide, and this little gun doesn't allow room for that...(before piping in, guy might consider that's 7/8" PLUS space to attach it).

I would grind down a clip to the width I need and replate it, cause I can, or use some other finish that I had on hand. 

26 minutes ago, Roq said:

I would grind down a clip to the width I need and replate it, cause I can, or use some other finish that I had on hand. 

See, now there's some actual thought!  I considered something like that (though I don't have the means to "plate" anything), but I don't want it weakened right in that area. Here's ONE OF the issues...

Gun is about 1" wide between the laser toggle and the top of the slide (you could call it 1 1/8" to the top, past the radius).  Clip is 7/8, plus 1/8 on each side to stitch a retainer, there's yer 1 1/8 max.  But the toggle would be riding right down the vertical stitching every time the gun is taken in or out...

BG_CLip.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

I took a look at the gun here https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-380-crimson-trace

The button appears to be recessed. If you recess your inside stitches and/or line the holster I don't see a problem. Or line it with 3/4 leaving a groove as mentioned before.

You could also rivet the clip on.

You can get into plating pretty cheap if you want. It's not for everyone. 

Edited by Roq

That IS the correct model. But that buton isn't recessed, it's raised.  Here's a holster I made for it in another style, at  another time (note the 'bump').

But, my big sister is in town, so I'm off to do lunch ... ;)

zm.jpg

Offset is "about" 3 oz 

Edited by JLSleather

I would drive a .125" piece of lauan board or plastic inbetween the form and the leather at the end of forming.  Round off the end in 3 dimesions on your belt sander and it will look and perform fine.

Also, I oversized the holster in this application to allow for the clip.  I tried to attach a photo but size limitations will not allow.  Check out my website on the single clip page.  The barbed wire border job was for this pistol with no laser.  A little extra leather goes a long way with these new tiny tuckers.

9 hours ago, jmatthews7157 said:

lauan board or plastic inbetween the form and the leather at the end of forming

So what keeps the leather from pushing down when this "form' is removed?

9 hours ago, jmatthews7157 said:

Check out my website

WHAT web site?

That looks awfully loose.  Maybe if we could see it with the gun IN it?

I like to see a holster FIT a gun, like ... no room to flex and "smoosh".  No wrinkles, front OR back.  "extra space" between the gun and the stitch line won't take long to become a wet noodle.

DSC00522.jpg

Just gonna tell that gal her holster can't be done with hardware currently available to me.  Maybe make her one with TWO clips.. ahead of and behind the pistol.

Just a bit of FYI.. in the process of searching for other styles of clips, I find the best price on these (short of buying in some bulk) is at http://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=547

I just sandwich the clip between the double layered 3oz. The one shown was a prototype that my wife saved from the scrap bin. She's used it daily for about 3 years now. With just weldwood holding the layers at the clip, there's no noticable wear.

tmp_4815-Prototype lcp clip-1226279315.jpg

Any reasons you have to have the clip?  I tried one OWB and didn't like it.  I made a Taurus 605 holster with a Blade-tech Tec lok.  It holds great.  It's my hunting, fishing, hiking gun.  Only down side is it offsets a bit more than I would like.  But it's not really a CC holster anyway.  

http://www.bluegunstore.com/blade-techtekloklarge.aspx

Next option might be a FOMI clip.

http://www.bluegunstore.com/1-1/2DIYQUICK-CLIPBLACKWITHSLOTTEDHOLES.aspx

You only have to inset 6/32 T nuts into the holster and attach these with screws.  And yes, that laser is hateful.  

Nope.. don't have to be a clip.. something like that might work.  The pistol will be carried on the outside, not concealed in any way.  Only issue is something that fits on that little pea-shooter, holds well, and looks good.

If it's not for CC go with one of the Tec locks.  They are adjustable for belt width and have a 2 stage lock.  It snaps closed, then you snap another part over it.  That's why it's on my woods holster.  I can go from belt to waist band on my pack and not worry about it coming off.  The large might be overkill.  So you might have to check knifekits site and see if they have different sizes.  If you can fit 2 6/32 T nuts under a piece of leather and get the spacing needed for the clip you are in business.