tnhomestead

I HATE Thieves!

Some lowlife broke into the new house on Thanksgiving and stole all my leather tools as well as my power tools/hand tools. Wish I had been there, but maybe I will get lucky and they will come back while I am there! Well at I have a few tools left, my maul, couple swivel knives(not the best, but neither am i LOL), and some leather -- Wish I could find that sucker!

That truly sucks.  You have my sympathy.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It drives me nuts that people feel that entering other peoples residence and taking what isnt theirs is somehow justifiable. I'd like to be there right with you the next time to help teach them a lesson. 

That is not your average thief, as most would have passed up the leather tools. You also have my sympathy, Thieves should be castrated, then shot.

Not sure if they knew what they were stealing -- they left batteries, solar panels, lathes and inverter and a charge controller. Not to mention they didnt touch a couple 4 wheelers and a boat. 

Appreciate the sympathy, been a bad month so far!

Talk to all the pawn shops and keep your eyes out. Leather tools are not as easy a sell as cordless drills. They are pretty uncommon and identifiable. They may just turn up.

If you file a police report the pawn shops are "suppose" to enter the products they get into a data base that will pop up with the police if the item matches the description of the stolen items. Supposedly. 

While back I had a rental powered drain cleaner stolen. Ended up costing me $1500 and a bunch of time wasted. Still find it hard to believe someone stole a crap covered drain cleaner that I had used that day to clean out the sewer pipes under my house. 

I live in a very small county, reported it and gave the investigator a pretty good list but i am sure I have missed a few things.Need to run around to the Mennonite and Amish leather guys around, talk to them. I am known in that community so hopefully if they get offered any i will find out. Posting it on Facebook as well, who knows -- I dont expect to get anything back but I can dream, right? LOL

1 hour ago, TinkerTailor said:

Talk to all the pawn shops and keep your eyes out. Leather tools are not as easy a sell as cordless drills. They are pretty uncommon and identifiable. They may just turn up.

Exactly and keep an eye on eBay. Chances are it's someone who "knows" you if they only took your tools.

I hate thieves. They are even lower than liars.

While back I had a rental powered drain cleaner stolen. Ended up costing me $1500 and a bunch of time wasted. Still find it hard to believe someone stole a crap covered drain cleaner that I had used that day to clean out the sewer pipes under my house. 

I once borrowed a nice snake from my plumber buddy to clean out my mother in laws drain. When I finished I walked in cleaned up my hands and walked back outside. A guy had pulled up and was already getting out of his truck by the time I was coming back outside. He looked at me and asked if this was the house having the garage sale (on a Tuesday afternoon?) I gave him a hard look and said Nope. There ain't nothing for sale around here. It made me sick to my stomach to think of my friend letting me borrow such an expensive piece of equipment, and it possibly getting stolen.

I'm sorry for your loss.  It really sucks losing things that have taken years to accumulate.  Tell you what though, since it appears that you're not covered by insurance, consider starting a GoFundMe page to help in recouping the loss of your leather tools.  I, for one, would contribute.  All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing. :)

Never thought of a go fund me page, may try it. Just seems like begging to me, and i hate asking for anything from anyone. Thanks for the idea though!  Well at least the local investigator is trying to help, we have good folks on the force here, just well its a SMALL town force!

Edited by tnhomestead

Been there.. years back, had some junkies take a box which was being shipped.  Box big enough to ship yourself in, but never got to the right place.  Insurance pay for the $$ amount, but some of those tools are tough to find these days.

That is super underhanded.  Especially during this time of year.  I make very little money and I have built my tool collection over the years, and if this happened to me I would be deeply hurt.  I would look on Craigslist.  I know of people who steal and post the items on local listing.  Most of these people have issues with substance abuse.  I hope things work out for you. 

well, lucked out on a few things -- they threw some templates on the floor so still have my strap end templates from black river! Also found my mini punch and 4 tubes, it isnt much but its that much less i need to replace. And blowing up facebook local buy here pages, maybe i will get lucky. Thanks for the sympathy and good wishes, it helps!

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad luck.  I agree with the sentiments above; there isn't much lower than a thief.  About a month ago, I discovered someone had stolen a singletree off a horse drawn wagon sitting about a hundred feet from my house.  There were two singletrees on the wagon (for a team of horses) but the pin had been welded into the clevis on the other one, so they only stole the one.  Would have been easy enough to pull the main pin from the evener and take the whole thing, but they didn't.  I was so furious when I discovered it.  It wasn't even that great of a singletree. It was wooden and had set outside for many years. But it is the principle.  It was my property and they had no right to take it. I work so hard for what I have, it really pissed me off that someone took something that I had bought and paid for because they were too damn lazy to work for it themselves.  I'd hate to think what I'd do if I caught someone trying to steal my leather tools, although it's not that I've never thought it couldn't happen. I'm afraid all thoughts of the possibility of spending the rest of my life in prison would fly out the window and I'd start shooting.  The only thing more near and dear to my heart than my leather tools and machinery are my kids.  I have a new shop going up, and the place will be rigged with cameras and a security system.  And I DO know how to shoot!

I hope you find your tools again. Leather tools aren't like wrenches and socket sets. Some are irreplaceable.

Your handle is TNhomestead so I'm figuring that your here in TN somewhere so depending on what part of that state your in if you need a hand with anything let me know.  I am up near Ft Campbell but on the Clarksville side so just shoot me a pm if I can help out.

Thanks for the responses, 1 gentleman sent me a NICE Christmas present of tools, still no word from the police, so I figure its unlikely to get any tools back,To the other gentleman in tn, thanks for the offer, I did appreciate it and look forward to meeting you sometime!