FFbullrider

Can I stamp drum dried harness

Quick question can I stamp drum dried leather straps? I have only used it once a long time ago and never tried it,. I want to make some straps with letter stamps and possibly carve a grove on the edge.  Can I do that with this type or do I need to use veg tan and dye it.

Do you mean drum DYED?  First, drum dyed leather is not necessarily drum dyed harness leather.  Drum dyed skirting and strap leather, yes you can stamp it, carve it, mold it, whatever you want to do with it.  Drum dyed harness leather, to a lessor degree. It will not have the same look as skirting or strap leather, but you can stamp initials and the vast majority of straps in a set of harness have been run through a creaser, so yes, they do take an impression. Some harness leathers contain more wax and are harder than others. Wickett and Craig's Regular Harness leather is fairly dry and will take a crease really well if cased up a bit beforehand.  A gal I wholesale some stuff to stamps a lot of her russet Hermann Oak harness leather, and then antiques it.  Not a bad look.

2 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Do you mean drum DYED?  First, drum dyed leather is not necessarily drum dyed harness leather.  Drum dyed skirting and strap leather, yes you can stamp it, carve it, mold it, whatever you want to do with it.  Drum dyed harness leather, to a lessor degree. It will not have the same look as skirting or strap leather, but you can stamp initials and the vast majority of straps in a set of harness have been run through a creaser, so yes, they do take an impression. Some harness leathers contain more wax and are harder than others. Wickett and Craig's Regular Harness leather is fairly dry and will take a crease really well if cased up a bit beforehand.  A gal I wholesale some stuff to stamps a lot of her russet Hermann Oak harness leather, and then antiques it.  Not a bad look.

1 hour ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

Here is some 13/15 oz drum dyed harness leather. I stamped a letter and a 3d stamp into it as well as the side view of the density of the leather. 

http://imgur.com/a/oFMiI

I guess I was wrong. I learned something new.