myjtp

Granite slab 12"x18"x4" for $20 bucks... worth it?

This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while.  I read many times a nice thick piece of granite is the way to go for stamping leather.  I had a guy message me off craigslist with this slab ( pic attached ).  I assume this is a crazy good deal and i should jump on it and he will DELIVER it to my house!  My question is ( probably stupid ) how can i tell if its real granite? Can you guys tell from this picture?

Thanks!

CAM00918.jpg

It needs to be smooth with no holes. You should be able to source a sink cutout from a local shop, or a defective headstone or...

unless you have a dedicated place on your bench for that beast, go for the thinner piece from a local shop that does countertops so you can move it when you aren't using it. I got an oval piece for free that is about 9x14x1 from a local shop

Worth it IMHO. 4" thick is way sturdier then the counter top stuff. You can sink it into your bench and it will work great. 

If there are any divets or holes just use a slow setting epoxy to fill it in then sand it smooth with sandpaper and a wood block. 

I actually scored this piece for free a few days ago but I was wanting something thicker I can build a workbench around. But will this be good enough?

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

The piece pictured directly above is actually very similar to the piece I found in a basement at an estate sale with my wife.  I have been pounding on that slab for almost a year with no complaints.  Go with what you have man.  ;)

As for the photo above, I wouldn't care if it was genuine granite or not.  That behemoth chunk of stone is definitely worth 20 of my hard earned dollars.  That thing would be more solid than my garage floor when driving a tool over some leather on it.  DO IT DUDE.

And, unlike the sink and counter drops you get for free, no sharp edges that will constantly screw up your finished leather pieces.  those rounded corners are nice!   I'd say get it.

YinTx

Don't know if that $20 would be worth the hernia from lifting it ;) I am going to go with the others and say that a freebie piece from a countertop place works just fine. And anything that is free is worth saving up for.

I also agree! I got a block similar to that, an unfinished gravestone. I set it into a free workbench I got and it was amazing!!!! if he will deliver at no charge, go for it!!

Just dont try to use a small anvil on top of whatever piece you end up using. I've done it plenty of times before... I reckon there was just enough bounce on my bench, and stress from the anvil for me to wreck my trusty 18"x24" slab. Im on the hunt over the next few days to score a new one. 

15203307_1647786405518982_8697814029446517048_n.jpg

Edited by JerseyFirefighter

If anybody is in the arklatex area I can gladly help you with a remnant of granite. I probably have ten to twenty pieces just in my back yard.

Tha's a good deal.. the delivery is likely worth that ;)

A chunk for tooling .. about an inch thick is enough IF you have a solid table under it (no flex).  2" thick is more common, probably, and works great. 4" thick is NOT necessary, but then it won't hurt anything either.. and at that price I'd likely pick it up "just in case".  I like a wider slab because belts lay nicer on one at least 2' long, but that isn't "necessary" either.

I would hope that delivery is already scheduled AND you have a Bevmo gift card waiting for him as a thank you gift! I have a granite inspection plate from Grizzly like that inset into my bench. When you stamp the only sound you hear is the soft "tink" of the maul on the stamp shank. 

3 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I would hope that delivery is already scheduled AND you have a Bevmo gift card waiting for him as a thank you gift! I have a granite inspection plate from Grizzly like that inset into my bench. When you stamp the only sound you hear is the soft "tink" of the maul on the stamp shank. 

oh can you post a pic of how you have it set in your bench? im thinking of building a small bench just to hold that slab and want some good ideas :)

thanks!

top looks pretty good though.  I know it's only $20.00 BUT i just don't want to buy a chunk of concrete only having to throw it away.

CAM00920.jpg

Looks like a marker stone or a surface plate that got left in the weather. Helluva nice score for 20$. That is the size I use, and it works great.

Just picked up the stone and man it's SMOOTH as glass. I saw some markings on the side I guess from Craigslist it's don't ask dont tell lol. $20.00 well spent!

IMG_1948.jpg

Probably a surface plate and an old one. They put stickers on them now a days. There is probably a company from that place way back. 

I've got a 2x3' X4" that I got off Craigslist. Works great. Little overkill but it don't bounce around either.

Surface plates are THE way to go. You can get small ones cheap from many different sources.  I have one as well as a monument from a monument place by the cemetary.  Mine was a mistake  and it was for a home warming from all the kids to the parents so no creep feeling.

I bought a thin piece like springfield and tandy sell.  I broke mine right away. Then I got a sink cut out free, once again broke it right away.

I was going to build a little workbench around it cheap butcher block with 2x4 should i place a rubber mat or anything under this or just rest it directly on the wood?

thanks!

My rock on a scrap of chap leather. The surface is about 1/8 higher than the surround bench top. makes it easier to move big pieces around. The whole thing was built with dimensional lumber and bolted. As the wood shrunk I gave a few cranks with the wrench every so often until it wasn't shrinking anymore. The height is comfortable for standing or using the drafting stool to sit. 

IMG_0001.JPG

stamping bench (2).JPG

Let it rest right on the wood. 

20160822_183050_zpsht0ajvzx.jpg

That stone is definitely granite.

A few tips for sink cutouts aka 3cm granite.

Avoid veins in your selection. The natural fissures will likely be a breaking point. You want something more like a pebble looking grain or small spots. Avoid lines, veins, fissures (all are the same, just wanted to clarify).

Black granite are usually denser then lighter colors (absolute black or galaxy black are good choices).

If you are able to tap on a big piece you will find the dense ones have a "ring" to them like a dinner plate. The softer ones have more of a "thud" sound.

If you have one that you move around like I do (for now) make sure you don't have anything under it. Something as minimal as an ink pen or rivet back can snap it when you go to hitting on it.

Most of these tips can be ignored if you have manmade quartz. That stuff is tough. It's as dense as the the black granites, but comes with a little more flex strength. I have handled pieces of this in situations where granite would have broken for sure.

Either product should always be carried vertically with a clear path and plenty of help. I like to use a cart when I can. It can be a real pain to carry a top into a house and wrestle it almost into position only to find out it's a 1/4" too long.

Carts are handy. Hope this helps someone.