Hello all,

It's been a while since I have been here to show some of my stuff, but since I am now (almost) done with my very first saddle (stirrups and breast collar are waiting to be done), I wanted to post some pictures of it here...

I have chosen DVDs and books as sources, I've made my own patterns, and since almost every saddle over here is more for recreational riders than the hard working cowboy, I have made some decisions considering weight etc...

The Saddle is made for my wife, it is all handstitched, it's got a 16" Seat, Small Skirts, inskirt rigging, and features a rather simple border tooling :-)...

I've had some problems here and there, but all in all, for my first saddle I am very proud...

Alltough I am a little bit scared; feel free to critique whatever you may find odd or "special"... haha :-)

Thanks, Andy

Saddle_No1-XS.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_1.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_2.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_3.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_4.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_5.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_6.JPG

Saddle_No1-XS_7.JPG

Andy you you should be very proud of yourself. This is looking very good for a first saddle. Both thumbs up from my end here.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Andy you you should be very proud of yourself. This is looking very good for a first saddle. Both thumbs up from my end here.

Thank's a lot Thorsten! It is very much appreciated! :-)

All in all, not bad or a first attempt. There are a couple things that stand out right away when I look at the pics.  For me, the stirrup leathers are set too far back.  I couldn't ride a saddle like that for very long.  I know the horsemanship "experts" say shoulders/hips/ heels should all line up in a vertical line.  I don't compete in equitation or dressage, I just want to be able to walk when I get off, and stirrup leathers hung like this would kill my hips. 

The cut on the front jockey doesn't look right to me.  I would cut the front of the side jockey back an inch to an inch and a half from where it is, lower the bottom cut of the front jockey by maybe a couple inches, and extend the front cut of the front jockey ahead closer to the edge of the skirt. The cut of the rear of the side jockey could be extended a little further back; to me it looks a little short.

It looks like your rear jockeys don't fit tight against the cantle. This is always a trouble area for me.  I'll spend a lot of time to try to get this right.  I may get it pretty good with the initial fitting, but then after stamping and sewing the cantle binding on, they don't fit anymore.  Don't rush this phase and don't edge the cut next to the cantle.

There is too much space between where the skirts meet in the back, and the jockeys as well.  I like them to butt up against each other with no space between at all. Either that, or leave enough space between so it looks like you MEANT to.  Some makers leave a couple inches between for spine relief at that point. I haven't done that myself, although I'd like to try it on one of my own.

I also like to see the edge of the jockeys tight up against the surface of the skirts.  This is not merely aesthetics, it keeps dirt, hay, and anything else from working it's way up under between the jockeys and the skirts.

One last thing that I see at first look, the way you've installed the rigging ring.  With that ring, I like to make a little shallower cutout and put a plug underneath so that the ring is pulling on the 4 rivets AND the plug.  But I do see others installing them this way.

This was meant to be helpful, and I hope you take it in the manner it is intended.  Like I said, not bad for a first one and it's better than my first one!

10 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

All in all, not bad or a first attempt. There are a couple things that stand out right away when I look at the pics.  For me, the stirrup leathers are set too far back.  I couldn't ride a saddle like that for very long.  I know the horsemanship "experts" say shoulders/hips/ heels should all line up in a vertical line.  I don't compete in equitation or dressage, I just want to be able to walk when I get off, and stirrup leathers hung like this would kill my hips. 

The cut on the front jockey doesn't look right to me.  I would cut the front of the side jockey back an inch to an inch and a half from where it is, lower the bottom cut of the front jockey by maybe a couple inches, and extend the front cut of the front jockey ahead closer to the edge of the skirt. The cut of the rear of the side jockey could be extended a little further back; to me it looks a little short.

It looks like your rear jockeys don't fit tight against the cantle. This is always a trouble area for me.  I'll spend a lot of time to try to get this right.  I may get it pretty good with the initial fitting, but then after stamping and sewing the cantle binding on, they don't fit anymore.  Don't rush this phase and don't edge the cut next to the cantle.

There is too much space between where the skirts meet in the back, and the jockeys as well.  I like them to butt up against each other with no space between at all. Either that, or leave enough space between so it looks like you MEANT to.  Some makers leave a couple inches between for spine relief at that point. I haven't done that myself, although I'd like to try it on one of my own.

I also like to see the edge of the jockeys tight up against the surface of the skirts.  This is not merely aesthetics, it keeps dirt, hay, and anything else from working it's way up under between the jockeys and the skirts.

One last thing that I see at first look, the way you've installed the rigging ring.  With that ring, I like to make a little shallower cutout and put a plug underneath so that the ring is pulling on the 4 rivets AND the plug.  But I do see others installing them this way.

This was meant to be helpful, and I hope you take it in the manner it is intended.  Like I said, not bad for a first one and it's better than my first one!

Thanks a lot; yep, some of that stuff I was thinking of when I first wrote about some problems here and there :-) But I've learned a lot and I'm ready for my second saddle ;-) That Rigging is plugged btw :-) 

Thanks a lot for your answer; good, helpful points there... 

35 minutes ago, Blackbirdhills Andy said:

Thanks a lot; yep, some of that stuff I was thinking of when I first wrote about some problems here and there :-) But I've learned a lot and I'm ready for my second saddle ;-) That Rigging is plugged btw :-) 

Thanks a lot for your answer; good, helpful points there... 

You're welcome.  I, too am always thinking about the next one before I even finish one:-)  I do still like to see a little more leather below the rigging ring, although it's very easy to leave too small of an opening also when lowering the cutout.  I love the style of this ring, but I feel the design of the ring itself could be a little deeper, not by much, but even a half inch would help.  Good luck in your saddle making endeavors!

10 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

You're welcome.  I, too am always thinking about the next one before I even finish one:-)  I do still like to see a little more leather below the rigging ring, although it's very easy to leave too small of an opening also when lowering the cutout.  I love the style of this ring, but I feel the design of the ring itself could be a little deeper, not by much, but even a half inch would help.  Good luck in your saddle making endeavors!

Thinking about quitting while making it; and just before it's finished, thinking about the next ten... haha :-)

I will do a smaller cutout the next time; a more "flowing" one would be nicer anyway I guess... Thank you!