Hello all! I'm having a little trouble making a decision... I'm buying my first walking foot machine and I'm not sure whether I should go with what I'm used to which is a flatbed machine like the Juki 1541s or if I should get the Techsew 2700 Pro which seems to have more capabilities? 

I mostly make garments but I would like to expand into accessories like purses. So it would seem like the cylinder bed would be great for that and with the table attachment it comes with it seems like a two for one. However, I've never used a cylinder machine and the height seems awkward. Can anybody attest or disagree with this? With the flatbed attachment does the fabric feed as easily as it would through a regular flatbed machine? 

I was dead set on getting the techsew today since they are having a sale for the holiday but now I'm feeling a little confused and a little nervous about buying something online that I wasn't able to try out... especially with that price tag. 

I've tried the Juki 1541S and it seems great but I don't want to outgrow it if I decide to make more accessories. 

Oh, and I'll mostly be working with garment weight leathers like lambskin and plonge... but a heavier cowhide to make purses with. 

Any comments, thoughts, or answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated!! 

Thanks in advance :) 

I've had two Techsew machines, the 3650, and now the 3800 for the past year. I'm just two hours away from their shop and so picked up both machines in person, seen their operation and met the guys. The machines were set up and ready to go when I bought them with the thread and needle sizes I would be using first. My experience has been great phone support for questions as I learned how to use the machines. I haven't had any mechanical problems with either machine so my questions were mostly to do with my own learning curve. So I'd say if you can guest-imate that the 2700 is right for you from watching videos, you'll be in good hands regarding support from the company later on. 

Edited by daveottawa
clarification

Thanks Dave for your reply... I guess I'm just a little nervous about the comfort of using a cylinder machine. I know I can use the flatbed attachment with it but it just seems like an awkward height to sit at as opposed to the actual flatbed machines that are more ergonomic. Is it hard to control the leather/fabric when feeding it through? Are they built more for standing or sitting? And are the tables adjustable in height? I'm a little on the petite side (5'3") 

I sit at mine. I have my tabletop at 29" and I use the stool from my drum. The table for my 3800 is adjustable down to about 24". Setting up the machine and adjusting the height is a 2 person job because the machine is pretty heavy and the levers you see underneath the machine in the pics need to be set for the height too. So you'll probably be leaving it set up for sitting or standing.  I don't know the maximum table height but I'll suggest giving Ron a call or email at Techsew. He (or anyone there) is very helpful. I don't have any problems controlling the leather. I never even bothered to get a roller guide like lots of people use. But there are people on this forum with more expertise than me to comment on techniques of using a cylinder machine.  

Edited by daveottawa
added some info

There are height adjustable sewing tables available that adjust in 5 seconds instead of 30 minutes, but most folks on this continent will not even consider a table that costs more than $200. Kessler is a German manufacturer that makes high-end height adjustable tables, some of them motorized. Prices likely run well over $1000 for the motorized versions, available from vendors like MJ Foley. I've been tempted to buy certain used machines (e.g this Durkopp Adler 1183i) simply because they are mounted in a motorised table - but I don't have one yet.

You can get a very nice, versatile cylinder arm sewing machine with a good flatbed attachment in a motorized table that will serve a wide range of projects. But that fancy setup will likely cost the same if not more than two basic machines, one flatbed and one cylinder arm, each mounted in cheap, fixed-height tables.

If you love a good IKEA hack, consider the nice, motorized IKEA BEKANT table ($529).

If you have the room, get two separate machines. If you live in a fancy, microscopic New York City style apartment, go for the nice cylinder arm with a worthy flatbed attachment on a motorized table solution.

Nearly all serious sewers end up with more than one machine, no matter how much they or their spouses initially protest.

Edited by Uwe

6 hours ago, daveottawa said:

I've had two Techsew machines, the 3650, and now the 3800 for the past year. I'm just two hours away from their shop and so picked up both machines in person, seen their operation and met the guys. The machines were set up and ready to go when I bought them with the thread and needle sizes I would be using first. My experience has been great phone support for questions as I learned how to use the machines. I haven't had any mechanical problems with either machine so my questions were mostly to do with my own learning curve. So I'd say if you can guest-imate that the 2700 is right for you from watching videos, you'll be in good hands regarding support from the company later on. 

Thanks Dave !

5 hours ago, Bonadrag12 said:

Thanks Dave for your reply... I guess I'm just a little nervous about the comfort of using a cylinder machine. I know I can use the flatbed attachment with it but it just seems like an awkward height to sit at as opposed to the actual flatbed machines that are more ergonomic. Is it hard to control the leather/fabric when feeding it through? Are they built more for standing or sitting? And are the tables adjustable in height? I'm a little on the petite side (5'3") 

The tables are adjustable so when we pre-assemble your machine we can set the height for you. Recently we set one up for a customer who wanted the cylinder arm height at the same level as that of his flatbed machine.

Thank you all for your suggestions :) 

I really want to go with the cylinder machine but I missed the sale by a half an hour while I was trying to scrounge up $ for it :bike: So close! 

I'd go back and talk to Ron.  Might be willing to help you out.

Tom

3 hours ago, Bonadrag12 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions :) 

I really want to go with the cylinder machine but I missed the sale by a half an hour while I was trying to scrounge up $ for it :bike: So close! 

19 hours ago, Uwe said:

f you have the room, get two separate machines. If you live in a fancy, microscopic New York City style apartment, go for the nice cylinder arm with a worthy flatbed attachment on a motorized table solution.

I'm actually in the midst of emptying out my living room to turn it into a sewing studio (thankfully single :rockon:) so I can fit two machines in there but I'll probably stick with a regular straight stitch as my go to since I still sew garments and use the cylinder walking foot as my backup for heavier stuff. Great suggestions!! Thank you :) 

19 hours ago, Techsew Ron said:

Thanks Dave !

The tables are adjustable so when we pre-assemble your machine we can set the height for you. Recently we set one up for a customer who wanted the cylinder arm height at the same level as that of his flatbed machine.

That's good to know! Thank you! 

3 hours ago, northmount said:

I'd go back and talk to Ron.  Might be willing to help you out.

Tom

Hoping :rolleyes:!!! Hah

On 12/2/2016 at 10:16 PM, Techsew Ron said:

I put my machine lower, more like a flatbed initially, but i found it limited the use of the arm. The lower height meant my  knees were in the way of maneuvering the project sometimes but also because I have found that when making bags, the clearance of the arm is not just for the bag, it is for my head. I am frequently sticking my head under the arm to see if the backside layers are cooperating, and everything is going good. For me, my needle is at shoulder height in a standard sewing chair, and I have a taller bar stool I also use to put it closer to waist height. There have been very few times both making bags as well as doing jobs like binding carpets for my sailboat, stitching straps and even making a deerskin flatcap on a 441, where a flatbed would have made it easier. I do not have a flatbed attacment. I have the ability to throw one together in a few minutes, however i have never had enough need. Apparently they work pretty good.

Btw, not a bad idea to wear safety glasses when stitching, especially at eye height. I have had a needle break and hit me in the cheek.