A friend wanted an IWB holster for his new Sig.  This is what I made.  

Thanks,

Bob

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

Very nice !! I really like that shade of brown. What finish did you use ?

Fiebings choclate and rubbing alcohol 50/50.  Maybe 4 coats or so.  

Fiebings Leather Balm atom wax.  2 coats.

the leather balm will darken it a little   

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by lansacoder

Nice job, I'm sure your friend is happy.

Stu

That does look very nice! What weight leather did you use, and how did you mold it?

2/3 and 3/4 glued together, back to back.  The resulting thickness would be about 5/7, except where the trim is added, would be somewhere from 7/10. The extra trim is another piece of 2/3. I think the overall thickness on this one was towards the lower end of the numbers because it resulted in a nice thickness for the back side (not too thick) and just what I had hoped for in the front.

After the stitching was complete and everything dyed (interior and trim dyed before stitching) wet with warm water until pliable.  Insert the gun (wrapped in plastic if concerned about the moisture).  Start pressing the leather into shape.  I used a bone to detail it and help form the sight channel.  I taped a pencil that I had cut to size between the front and rear sights as well as aft of the take down lever, to provide appropriate channels for drawkng the gun.

Some day I want to try stitching a nylon sight channel in place like some of the nicer holster makers do. 

This is only the 7th holster I've made so I am still learning.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by lansacoder
Spelling, further explanation

Really like the two tone design.  Nice.

Thanks for the nice comments!  I was pretty proud of this one.  There still are a few things I missed in my excitement to get it done:

1.  Stitched the extra support leather after gluing the liner.  Would rather have done that first to avoid the extra stitch line inside the holster. 

2.  Touched the holster before the atom wax had completely dried.  :-|  

3.  I tried fiebings white glue instead of barges contact cement.  I'm not sure which I like better.  I liked that I could adjust it slightly to line things up but had more glue to clean up.  An eraser did seem to work pretty well to remove the excess.

I've still got lots to learn but I do enjoy it a lot.  

Thanks,

Bob