mitkomont

What machine make and model is that?

Hey everyone, I want to buy a machine, which I can use to sew leather (have some experience with hand stitching). I have found one for sale, but the guy doesn't even know what model it is, he says it is some kind of "Singer". Can any of you recognize it and tell me what model that is, so I can research it and see whether it fits my needs, before I drive out to see it. It looks intimidating, I think it is for very thick leather.

singer.jpg

It is a Singer 7 class,it should have an oval plate with the model# on it on the other side.There is much better machine to get nowdays than this.It has a hopping foot & lower feed dogs in it that will leave marks on your leather.Parts are getting hard to find for it over on this side of the pond too! I don't know if you can any over there or not.

Hi CowboyBob, thanks for the prompt answer! Seems like you know your way around those things.

I can currently choose between this one (Singer Class 7) and a Singer 132k6. I know that probably neither of those is on the same level as modern machines, neither functionally, nor precision-wise, but they are cheap. I would probably be paying $300 - $400 dollars for each of them and the owners claim them to be in good working condition. And extra bobbins, pedals, thread etc. will follow. This is much cheaper than paying $1000+ for something more contemporary. Regarding parts, I have Germany close by and I have not researched it, but I speculate that if I need parts, this will be the place to go.

I am looking for a machine which I can learn sewing on, I am inexperienced, I have an old Adler 30-1, which I got for a penny and bought it for fun, but it doesn't really do the job with solid vegetable-tanned leather, it's more suitable for thinner skin, like pigskin or similar.

I want to use my new machine for stuff like sewing along the edges of belts (3mm - 5mm thickness), sewing strong tote bags and leather cases (2.5mm + 2.5mm = 5mm thickness or more), but also the occasional wallet or clutch purse with thinner leather, but not paper-thin. In any case we are talking vegetable-tanned leather. I do dye, finish and buff my leather carefully, so rough marks from feeding mechanisms are frowned upon, but they can be tolerated to a certain extend.

If we have to compare the two - (Singer Class 7) and a singer 132k6. Which one is better?

singer.jpg

singer2.jpg

If  you can get that singer 7 for a good price, ya could clean it up and resell it as it looks to be in nice condition. 

Or you could buy both and have them in your shop taking up space because they are cool looking machines and will probably have there place some day for some project you may do. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Would like to add, anyone that has that machine next to a modern power tool, a plastic skeleton, and some chicken wire is probably gonna be someone interesting to chat with for a little while. Probably worth going over there just for that. 

2 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Would like to add, anyone that has that machine next to a modern power tool, a plastic skeleton, and some chicken wire is probably gonna be someone interesting to chat with for a little while. Probably worth going over there just for that. 

Good call.

Can someone be helpful with some info about these machines cons and pros and the type of work they are best at?

Bob knows alot about those 7 series singers. One tip for a good search is type in "singer 7-33 leather" into google search. There will be a bunch of threads for leatherworker.net, also you can  click on the show more from leatherworker.net and it will list them out. I put 7-33 above because it seems to be the most popular one. They were used a ton for making nylon type strap works and buffing wheels or military canvas type work. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=singer+7-33+leather

Or do this method type in "singer 132k6 leather site:leatherworker.net" to get https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=singer+132k6+site:leatherworker.net

I have found when researching common and some uncommon old machines that they have popped up one time or another on this site with someone asking about them. 

On 5.12.2016 at 7:08 PM, mitkomont said:

Hi CowboyBob, thanks for the prompt answer! Seems like you know your way around those things.

I can currently choose between this one (Singer Class 7) and a Singer 132k6. I know that probably neither of those is on the same level as modern machines, neither functionally, nor precision-wise, but they are cheap. I would probably be paying $300 - $400 dollars for each of them and the owners claim them to be in good working condition. And extra bobbins, pedals, thread etc. will follow. This is much cheaper than paying $1000+ for something more contemporary. Regarding parts, I have Germany close by and I have not researched it, but I speculate that if I need parts, this will be the place to go.

I am looking for a machine which I can learn sewing on, I am inexperienced, I have an old Adler 30-1, which I got for a penny and bought it for fun, but it doesn't really do the job with solid vegetable-tanned leather, it's more suitable for thinner skin, like pigskin or similar.

I want to use my new machine for stuff like sewing along the edges of belts (3mm - 5mm thickness), sewing strong tote bags and leather cases (2.5mm + 2.5mm = 5mm thickness or more), but also the occasional wallet or clutch purse with thinner leather, but not paper-thin. In any case we are talking vegetable-tanned leather. I do dye, finish and buff my leather carefully, so rough marks from feeding mechanisms are frowned upon, but they can be tolerated to a certain extend.

If we have to compare the two - (Singer Class 7) and a singer 132k6. Which one is better?

Greetings to Denmark from Germany,

1st of all Germany is not the country for buying parts for vintage Singer sewing machines. You probably go nuts before you find something for the 2 machines. Germany is Pfaff and Adler country however parts for vintage machines are hard also to find also. I´m quite a bit vintage Singer crazy and I order 90% of the parts I need form College Sewing in the UK (UK is still a EU member so no Tax and custom fees).

I think the Singer 7 is way way way way to heavy for your work. This thing is a monster and great for parachute webbing, sails, heavy tarpaulins and so on.

So considering what you want to sew and if you have no other options I´d buy the Singer 132K6. I have a similar machine, a 133K3, its a cylinder arm machine and w/o the upper jump foot but it is the same class. You can easily find parts at College sewing. This machine is still manufactured, not by Singer but by many other companies in China. So the parts situation is excellent!

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer132B,132K,133KSewingMachineParts

Side Note:

You probably have to replace the motor with a modern Servo Motor and probably add a speed reducer to get better control and more torque (if needed).

Edited by Constabulary

On 12/6/2016 at 1:38 AM, mitkomont said:

Can someone be helpful with some info about these machines cons and pros and the type of work they are best at?

Not many here have first hand knowledge of a seven class singer, and i for sure don't. Do you know the subclass Ismacs.net has the 7 class listed in their industrial sewing machines list, but also lists the uses for each individual subclass, of which there are many. Sometimes the subclass can make a big difference, sometimes none at all. That site is a really good resource when looking up these machines if you haven't found it yet. Sometimes a singer machine will not have any manuals online but on ismacs you can discover things like it is just a variant of a very common machine and most of the info on the common machine applies.