chachkas

'Neutralize' white boots before dyeing?

Newbie here! :)

I have a pair of white shoes and light cream-coloured boots that I intend to dye. I've used Fiebings in the past, but never on such light colours (usually light tan --> dark colours, or colours --> black). For the boots, I'll be using Angelus's rose with hopes of making them hot pink/fuschia, and the shoes will be purple via Fiebings purple/oxblood.

According to Fiebings's website, white should be 'neutralized' with a tan/light brown before dyeing the final colour. I called Angelus today to ask about their dyes, but didn't receive a clear response.

My intention is to buy Angelus's honey and lighten it with their neutral dye, as the woman I spoke with at Angelus today said honey would most likely provide the best foundation. I googled around trying to find info on honey, but couldn't find anything. According to reviews at Dharma Trading, tan, for example is way too orange, hence the decision for honey.

So my questions to you all...

Is it true that it's best to neutralize white leather and bring it back to as close to an 'unfinished' colour as possible before dyeing? And if so, is a diluted Angelus honey the best way to achieve this?

Thanks kindly!