myjtp

Singer 4423 just sewed through 8oz 1/8 thick leather!

Snagged the Singer 4423 sewing machine brand new from amazon for $99.00 black Friday deal. I wanted it just to do some curtains but then wondered if it would sew through 8oz 1/8 thick leather.  Tried it and it worked!  Now the needle got a little sticky in the beginning but then it just went through after the first few stitches.  I am sure I need to adjust the tension and other things.  This is my VERY first time every sewing anything at all and the stitch is indeed not straight but I just wanted to test out the machine and to me it works pretty decent.  I just wanted to add thin leather to the backs of the belt to get rid of the nappy leather part and this should do just fine.  I would not recommend it AT all for any heavy leather work but for small jobs on thin leather it should be ok :)

leather-stitch-front-belt.jpg

leather-stitch-back-belt.jpg

side-leather-belt.jpg

side-leather-belt-8th-thick.jpg

Does not surprise me - with a thin needle and thin thread almost every sewing machine can do that with 3mm leather - thats physics. Guess why the doctors are using thin needles on syringes  ;)

Will probably keep doing it for days, possibly even weeks

12 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Does not surprise me - with a thin needle and thin thread almost every sewing machine can do that with 3mm leather - thats physics. Guess why the doctors are using thin needles on syringes  ;)

Needle was 18/110 and thread was #69 T70 bonded nylon so not too thin ;)

Edited by myjtp
Didn't finish :/

43 minutes ago, myjtp said:

Needle was 18/110 and thread was #69 T70 bonded nylon so not too thin ;)

#69 is thin around here. Most do not sew with less than 138 unless they do garment/uphostery work. I and many others use 207 for everything but small pocket items. Holsters are done with 277/346 a lot. As to your machine, the problem you will run into is material feeding. Non-walking foot machines can have issues with the material shifting. especially if one of the layers is slippery and one is sticky. Also, on grabby or stiffer materials and glue sandwiches, the material will pull up with the needle unless you have enough foot pressure. This pressure can prevent the top layer from sliding under the foot and cause the teeth on the dog to bite and chew up the backside. If it lifts, you get skipped stitches.

While that machine may work for now, as others have mentioned, it won't for long and you will soon find its limitations. Use it, sell a few items and then buy a real walking foot industrial. Do your research, read up on here what models are good for your use, and get looking. Stay away from ebay unless you know what you are shopping for. Many horror stories and bad sellers. Talk to actual used machine dealers, like some of the advertisers on the site, and/or scour craigslist and the like and then ask on here for opinions on the machine you found. With time and luck, a used good machine can be had for cheap. Just like everything, if you need it right now, you are going to pay.

4 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

#69 is thin around here. Most do not sew with less than 138 unless they do garment/uphostery work. I and many others use 207 for everything but small pocket items. Holsters are done with 277/346 a lot. As to your machine, the problem you will run into is material feeding. Non-walking foot machines can have issues with the material shifting. especially if one of the layers is slippery and one is sticky. Also, on grabby or stiffer materials and glue sandwiches, the material will pull up with the needle unless you have enough foot pressure. This pressure can prevent the top layer from sliding under the foot and cause the teeth on the dog to bite and chew up the backside. If it lifts, you get skipped stitches.

While that machine may work for now, as others have mentioned, it won't for long and you will soon find its limitations. Use it, sell a few items and then buy a real walking foot industrial. Do your research, read up on here what models are good for your use, and get looking. Stay away from ebay unless you know what you are shopping for. Many horror stories and bad sellers. Talk to actual used machine dealers, like some of the advertisers on the site, and/or scour craigslist and the like and then ask on here for opinions on the machine you found. With time and luck, a used good machine can be had for cheap. Just like everything, if you need it right now, you are going to pay.

Excellent reply thank you!  I originally just got this to sew come curtain then thought hmm can it stitch through some leather and it does.  I make no illusions that it will make a holster or any thick two pieces of 8oz slapped together but putting thin skin on top of leather for a few of my hobby projects it should suit me.  I shall keep an eye out though for a bigger machine thanks for the tips!

Well for a little over $100 machine it's making that Sailrite look really pathetic...

(I wont post the video again)  haha

16 hours ago, Yetibelle said:

Well for a little over $100 machine it's making that Sailrite look really pathetic...

How many belts will it sew before an arm bends or a gear strips or a bearing surface wears out because the machine wasn't designed for this heavy a use, permanently affecting the timing?

16 hours ago, Yetibelle said:

2 minutes ago, Matt S said:

How many belts will it sew before an arm bends or a gear strips or a bearing surface wears out because the machine wasn't designed for this heavy a use, permanently affecting the timing?

I will keep you posted.  I'm not mass producing anything I just wanted to make a few for myself and friends so I'm not sure I will even reach the point of bending anything.

A 1960's Japanese domestic straight sewer for $20 will sew the same thing and probably last another 30 years

2 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

A 1960's Japanese domestic straight sewer for $20 will sew the same thing and probably last another 30 years

A $50 1920 White Rotary treadle will do it and then some. Plus if you get a nice one in a cabinet for 150 your better half will let you keep it in the house. The nice ones are cheaper than nice treadle singers because of singer collectors pushing prices and are a little tougher in my opinion.  I can sew 20 oz of canvas to 8 oz leather no prob. It also does 6.5spi.

13 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

A $50 1920 White Rotary treadle will do it and then some. Plus if you get a nice one in a cabinet for 150 your better half will let you keep it in the house. The nice ones are cheaper than nice treadle singers because of singer collectors pushing prices and are a little tougher in my opinion.  I can sew 20 oz of canvas to 8 oz leather no prob. It also does 6.5spi.

I love the White Rotary!

There are many treadle machines out there that are way better than anything from Singer.

8 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

I love the White Rotary!

There are many treadle machines out there that are way better than anything from Singer.

I have 2, one was converted to electric in the 30's, and the other is in a perfect mission style cabinet. It is my baby. This one:

index.jpg

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

WOW - nice cabinet! But can´t see the needle :blink:;)

That was a pic of a similar cabinet off of the net. This is mine: The table hinges opens to the left. As it opens a cable pulls the machine up and the part where it says white flips up to give you a place for your knees.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

And here are the secret ninja compartments....:

IMG_0398.JPG

Also, forgot to mention, I saw the machine and cabinet for 100 dollars on craigslist. I phoned and offered 150 delivered to my door. They took it, and being without a truck this was ideal.

Edited by TinkerTailor

in awe!

That's cool!, So being the curious, what model is that for knowing nota!

thanks for the pic

Floyd

How's that 4423 working out? I have a Cowboy 3200 but need something for light leather. 

Nice White..
Most things ..including singer 15/88 make sailrites look "pretty pathetic"..
second thought..having actually touched one recently..strike the "pretty"..( they are not ) ..pathetic..they are..