mitkomont

Folding Stool with Leather Seat

Hi everybody, I am currently working on a combined project - woodworking and leather. I am making a folding stool, similar to the one on the photo. Any ideas on how to attach the leather seat? I want to make it 2 layers, so it is stronger. Do you think it will be OK to just fold the leather around the bearing wooden elements and then sew it. Will I be able to fold 2 layers of thick leather so it is even and can be stitched? Will the stitching make it weaker?

Any other ideas, maybe small nails or screws to attach the leather?

I am still working on the wooden part and the leather comes last, so I am open for any suggestions.

taburet.jpg

My first instinct is to say that perhaps this is not the best application for leather.  I would think that leather would tend to stretch excessively over time.  This is just a guess on my part though, and who knows until you try, right?  I don't think that I'd rely on sewing alone to hold the leather in place.  The stress on the stitching may be too much.  Perhaps along with stitching you could also find some decorative tacks to use on the sides...something that would relieve some of the stress off the stitches.  Or, barring the use of tacks, maybe use another piece of wood screwed to the top side to serve as a clamp to hold the leather in place.  I think I like that idea better than using tacks.  In any event, I wouldn't rely on stitching alone.

Leather has been used for chair seats for ages, both as padded cushion type and stapled or nailed to an open frame.  I'd go with decorative upholstery tacks along the outside of the bar.

Sewing makes nice perforations so it can rip along the seam.  Still can be done, but need something like 8 or fewer stitches per inch.

Tom