TerryJ

Removing shark trim from a holster

Pretty strange question here, but here it is.

i bought an all shark IWB holster from a semi well known holster maker some years back. I never did like the way it fit, and after a few attempts to sell it, it just landed  in a drawer.

Ive since started to make holsters for myself, and am kind of happy with my work.

Can I take this shark holster, and open it up by cutting away the seams, and somehow peel off the glued on shark trim, or is it near impossible? I had thought to use it for some trim pieces on my home made holsters...

Thanks for any advice

Yeah, likely more work than it's worth. Pitch and replace.

Yeah, I saw the shark at Springfield. I just didn't want to drop over $100 for it , as I'm not that good yet....

of course, I could get it for a future date when my skills are better!

thanks for the replies

Shark is dang tough. You might be able to rip it off from the glue, any other leather is probably more likely to give than the shark.
However, if you want to try to make one, I found some very nice shark for a good price here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/112220720754?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not regular scrap, some good sized pieces and quality leather. Also has some other exotics. Even has  some anteater. His first listing he didn't realize how rare or pricey it is now, been in storage for some time but in good condition. Outside of some dust, no sign of mold, deterioration. I got 2 pounds for a lower price and was astonished at the size of the pieces and quality. That and shark look like remnant from high end boots. Some of the pieces of either would be big enough for some holsters. Maybe send a message asking if any pieces in the size you need. Prompt shipping at reasonable cost, well packed. 

Maverick leather is cheaper and has a better selection. 

On 08/12/2016 at 11:13 AM, TerryJ said:

Pretty strange question here, but here it is.

i bought an all shark IWB holster from a semi well known holster maker some years back. I never did like the way it fit, and after a few attempts to sell it, it just landed  in a drawer.

Ive since started to make holsters for myself, and am kind of happy with my work.

Can I take this shark holster, and open it up by cutting away the seams, and somehow peel off the glued on shark trim, or is it near impossible? I had thought to use it for some trim pieces on my home made holsters...

Thanks for any advice

If you got nothing to lose I'd try soaking in some soapy water for a day or so and then see if it peels of easily while while still just a bit damp. Most contacts over time can let go fairly easily if damp. The glue mostly will stick with one or the other, my guess would be the shark but you can sand that off. Regards Brain

Gotta remember also the amount of usable shark after you get rid of the edges, where the belt slots are, the stitch lines, your gonna end up with a minimal amount to play with and thats if it all comes off in a usable fashion. Time better spent making an extra holster to cover the cost of some fresh pieces of shark.