CraftyNick

Waxed linen thread from SLC

I have a good collection of thread spools going, because I have been buying a lot looking for one that's just right.  The next one I'm looking at it the waxed linen thread from Springfield Leather Company.  Before I buy it though, I thought I should ask if anyone has an opinion on it.   http://springfieldleather.com/Thread-Wax-Linen-Black-50yd?_ga=1.138375344.1056171022.1481065108  Thanks.

the fact that it doesn't give a thickness (1mm or 0.035", etc) makes me wonder just how heavy the thread will be when you get it. It looks a lot like tandy's Waxed Linen Thread and that stuff is 0.08mm (0.031") but no way to know and nothing to compare it to in their image

I asked SLC about the thread and they said it was equivalent to 6 cord linen thread.  I don't know a lot about thread sizes but I think that means it's pretty thick.  

Yeah, it's real thick.  Just guessing and in comparison to my other threads, I'd say SLCs linen thread is 1.25-1.5mm thick.  But I like that it's thick.  What I don't like is that that it frays....a  lot.  It also takes on dye, which maybe you want and maybe you don't.   This is the thread I started off with years ago until I got turned on to Tiger Thread (braided polyester) and its lower cost variants.   I HIGHLY recommend Lekoza Twin Eagle thread for hand sewing.  It's much cheaper and far better than the SLC linen thread  -- like night and day better, like Black and White to Technicolor better, like gruel to bacon eggs and hashbrowns better, like a lump of coal to.....

However, it isn't a fair comparison if you are intent on linen threads only.  

Edited by cseeger

if they tell you that there linen thread is comparible to 6cord linen thread then I would look else where. 

If I was doing linen thread I would shoot for barbours linen thread and wax it yourself. 

Cseeger what are you talking about taking dye, prewaxed dyed linen thread doesnt take dye FYI. Maybe I read your statement wrong. Also all linen threads are not made equal. Also maybe you know, what is the shelf life/life span of your braided poly? I asked in another thread and noone had any response really. Just curious if you knew. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Sorry, was referring to their white linen thread.  And yes, totally agree that linen threads vary greatly in terms of quality. Barbours is an excellent linen thread....but pricey and not readily sourced here in the U.S.

Shelf life of braided poly?  Mmm gotta say forever.  As a synthetic material I can't think of anything that would cause it to naturally degrade, certainly not as quickly as a natural product (cotton or wool versus poly or rayon), but that's just a guess.  I couldn't say definitively.  It's a good question though and I'm curious what made you think of that?  I've never thought about threads having a shelf life.   Interesting.

A forum buddy of mine put together a fairly exhaustive thread comparison sometime back.  Might be some worthwhile info for the OP.

Ha, this is funny.  He states that SLC's linen thread is .7mm.  Goes to show what I know... 

Thanks to all for good answers to my questions.  The thread comparison chart in the other thread was very helpful.  After the mention of Barbours linen thread I searched and located this thread about sources where you can buy thread.  Otherwise I might have asked :)

Crafty, you ought to check out Abbey England.  They have a fairly deep selection of linen threads including Barbour and are often recommended as a source for otherwise hard to find supplies here in the U.S.  Several years back Ritza "Tiger Thread" was all the rage and incredibly hard to source.  Abbey England was the go to vendor back then.   They only sell to the trade so you have to register before you can buy anything.  Just a formality as best I can tell but it does take a day or so until you are "approved".  You can peruse the site, just won't see any pricing until you get admitted to the club.   If nothing else It's fun to have a look at a proper Upscale British Leather Supply Shoppe where all things equestrian are taken quite seriously so it seems. 

One other tip you ought to at least entertain are the Chinese eBay vendors selling waxed braided poly for a mere $4 -- that's for a 260M spool of 1.0mm thread.     What's cool about that is for $20 you can have five colors that you otherwise wouldn't have on hand because who can afford $30-$50 a pop per color?  I have 10 spools of various colors myself and for the money couldn't be more pleased with these threads.  And while they are not my go to thread, they are when I need Red, Yellow, Orange, Peach...etc.  Several of the threads in the Thread Comparison were donated by me.....from these very vendors.

Heck, if you like, PM me your address and I'll send you some samples and throw in a roll of SLC linen thread that I'm never gonna use (I've got like five of them).  Seriously, take me up on it.  Happy to help.