CraftyNick

How to make veg-tanned leather NOT change color.

Sometimes people choose to make an item out of veg-tanned leather and not finish it so that it develops a natural patina, or darkens with light or handling.  What if I wanted the opposite, and to do something to keep a veg-tanned leather item from changing so that it retains it's original light color.  Is there a type of finish I could put on it to keep it from changing or darkening?  Thanks a lot for any suggestions!  

Nick

Edited by CraftyNick

Anything you put on natural veg tanned leather will darken it some but you would need something with uva and uvb blocking as sunlight will darker leather. You don't want to use olive oil or neatsfoot oil as that will darken it as well. Not sure if resolene or tankote will do what you want or not

Resolene, Super Sheen, Tan Kote, Leather Sheen, Bag Kote.....they all darken veg tan.   But I'm with you on that search.  Hopefully one of the masters here will share their secret.

The short answer (of commonly-available products) is to use Resolene.  I don't have the link handy but it was the product that kept fading/darkening down more than the others, in a small trial over several months.

I agree with all the above.

My take on it: if you really want light color leather - first bleach it (with oxcalic acid mixture for leather) and than use acrylic finish on it.

The issue you will have is that the acid will make the leather more stiff and if you oil it - it will darken.

Bee natural makes a saddle oil that won't darken the leather nearly as much as neats

chan Geer uses it on his videos. They make RTC   also