kjcreamer

Messenger bag shoulder straps

Making a messenger bag from WC English bridle. What should the shoulder strap be like? Does it get lined with pig skin? Is it more common to leave single layer and make a small padded part to prevent sliding on shoulder?

Thoughts?

Most people use a single or double layer 1" strap (some will go down to 3/4" or up to 1-1/4") depending on the weight of leather used and desired look. Most will use the same material on a double layer to give a consistent look and finish on front and back. Then they make a shoulder pad that may be padded and/or lined that can slide on the strap. if you do a search for messenger bag on google specifying   site:leatherworker.net   then it will give you the results for this forum that can show you examples folks here have made.

You can really do it however you feel works best. That's one of the great parts of this craft. If it works for you, then it's right. If it's the way that other folks do it, but doesn't work for you, then you need to find a different way that's better for you.

My personal bag and a couple commissioned ones i have done have single thickness 2" wide 8oz veg straps. I carry a lot of weight and no shoulder pad is necessary. I use belt buckles with the tongues cut off for square rings to attach. Way overbuilt, but it is the part of the bag everyone notices and comments on. Even though it is single layer the back is perfect so i edge stitched it on my machine just for contrast. I sometimes have to prove to people it is not a sandwich. Again, its up to the designer and the limits of the design. I have also used 1-1/4 lined straps for more businesslike messengers. Just remember that as it gets narrower, it will dig in more needing a shoulder pad, and it will stretch more meaning the leather will need to be thicker on a 1 inch strap than a 2 ". Downside to wide straps is they only bend, they don't curve, and the body is not straight. Cutting wide straps on the curve can help the bag carry better. With a narrower strap it will curve and follow the body better. Take these things into account when designing.

Edited by TinkerTailor