Axeman

CB 3200 on its way!!

Well, I took every ones advise and agreed the chinese patcher will not be a good fit for making axe sheaths. Instead Dad and I went in on a CB3200 and he is on his way back to Columbus from Toledo as i type!! Bob set us up with a machine and some thread so I am really excited to get to sewing!! I know everyone said to learn to saddle stitch but I really like the idea of a machine. My time is getting more and more valuable so this machine should reduce my sewing time, leaving more time to handle (haft) more axes. I also plan to make some 12ga shell bags and carriers like Shamrock leathers put out. Maybe some holsters and knife sheaths. I can always do light stuff on Dads 29K. My possibilities are endless, unlike my leather supply!

So, I want to thank everyone here for steering me in the right direction so I didn't get a machine I would regret.

Yes,your folks just left maybe 10 min ago.Just give us a call anytime during the day if you have any questions.

Thanks,Bob

I still haven't ruled out pickin' up one o those, so do let us know what you think.  I mean, not a half hour long ranting video where you appear to be strung out on puppy uppers (since that's already been done).. but just hey.. this is good, that aint kinda thing ;)

Well, I have very limited sewing experience, as in, I used a domestic in home ec class 30+ years ago. I sat down in front of the 3200 and after preparing 20oz veg tan, with a stitch groove, was able to follow the groove and make a perfect 4.5spi line with 277 thread. The servo motor goes so slow a caveman can do it!! The machine is very straight forward and simple, kinda like me. I think this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

The only thing I cant figure out is why this machine is limited to a max thread of 277. This thing is HUGE. But that's what the specs say, so I'm going with it. 277 and 4.5spi sure looks nice. I really like that fact that in reverse, it matches stitch for stitch so your lock stitch is perfect. Also, the walking foot does not leave marks on the leather at all. I'm glad Dad talked me into the cb3200 instead of the cb2500 that I was looking at.

Going to get some axe sheaths glued up today and get to sewing!! I will post a pic of the first one that comes out of the machine.

So, if your on the fence, get off it and go see Bob. He will treat you right.

Congrats, I just picked up a cb 341 from there on Tuesday and I've been very happy with it.  They had just sold a 3200 before I got there so I didn't get a chance to see one set up.  We tried 277 on this one but the needle was too big and hit the hook so I'm limited to 207 max. After using it for a few projects though I think it's plenty big enough, I might even go down to 138.

Is 277 correct?!!@!  I'd ask Bob.. cuz if that machine will use a #27 needle, then it likely use 346 thread too!

Yes,we need to upgrade our website,the current machines  will use #346 thread.We had problems years ago with the first ones using it.

Mine shipped Friday as well. I can't wait! Congratulations

Edited by BlakesBlades
Typo

So I can use 346 thread with a #27 needle? Sweet!! That was my only complaint with the 3200, 277 max thread!!  Not that I would use 346 everyday but I like the option. I bet 346 top and 277 bottom would be a nice combo for a sheath.

BTW, Man does this thing sew nice with 277 top and bottom. 20 oz of veg tan is nothing for this machine.. I am very happy. Made three sheaths today but didnt have my phone for a pic. Maybe tomorrow...

14 minutes ago, Axeman said:

I bet 346 top and 277 bottom would be a nice combo for a sheath.

This is exactly what was recommended to me if you use 346, use 277 in the bobbin.

Edited by BlakesBlades

49 minutes ago, Axeman said:

So I can use 346 thread with a #27 needle?

Think you want a #26 needle.

12 hours ago, Axeman said:

So I can use 346 thread with a #27 needle? Sweet!! That was my only complaint with the 3200, 277 max thread!!  Not that I would use 346 everyday but I like the option. I bet 346 top and 277 bottom would be a nice combo for a sheath.

BTW, Man does this thing sew nice with 277 top and bottom. 20 oz of veg tan is nothing for this machine.. I am very happy. Made three sheaths today but didnt have my phone for a pic. Maybe tomorrow...

Yes,I sure would like to see some pics of what you made.

Here is what I make. I dont collect single bits but dad had one that needed a mask so we worked on that one together. The two double bit masks are 2 1/2lb cruiser axes obviously pre-dye and pre-snap. I ran out, have to run to Tandy tomorrow. I hope I uploaded the pic correctly...

NCM_0234 2.jpg

Yep axeman, you can go to 346 thread, you may or may not need the huge needle size, it depends on what you are sewing and also some modern threads are not as thick as they used to be.

On 12/9/2016 at 3:52 PM, JLSleather said:

I still haven't ruled out pickin' up one o those, so do let us know what you think.  I mean, not a half hour long ranting video where you appear to be strung out on puppy uppers (since that's already been done).. but just hey.. this is good, that aint kinda thing ;)

JLS,I picked up a 3200 head from solar leather recently. I mounted on a pedestal with an 880 watt artisan servo,no reducer. Good machine,not the mass of a 441/4500 or even a short arm 441,but quite adequate. We use it as a portable machine loaded in our trailer for offsite events