HENDREFORGAN

Walsall Leather Museum to close?

This is important to those of us here in the UK or that can visit or travel through the UK but even within North American forum threads I do believe I have seen past reference to information that can be sourced from this totally unparalleled venue.  The "heads up" came from an email from Abbey England and the fact that it has concerned them shows this is a matter to be taken seriously.

http://abbeyengland.com/Blog/plans-issued-to-relocate-walsall-leather-museum

If you have never been there than DO go before it is too late but equally use the petition link provided to try to get the local Council aware that this collection is to the history of leather what the British Museum is to ancient history in general . . and imagine the response if anyone wanted to close the BM and relegate less than 10% of it's artefacts to a side-show?

Whoever you are wherever you are if you care about the history of leather being kept public then PLEASE support Abbey and their petition?

Thank you.

Hi Hendreforgan,   thank you for the heads up, I have just signed up as I trained in Walsall and have regularly visited the museum  in fact the first belt I ever made was on a day course with Val Micheal at the museum.

It would be VERY sad if the proposed changes are carried through . . much more so for those yet to learn as an amazing centre for learning would be lost.  :(

Pass the word to as many as you can in order that the Council are aware of the national importance of the treasure they hold.

Looks like Walsall Leather Museum has been saved for the moment and will stay where it is which is great news.

On 2/8/2017 at 3:36 PM, fivewayswelshcobs said:

Looks like Walsall Leather Museum has been saved for the moment and will stay where it is which is great news.

According to documentation the Council aren't supposed to be sitting down at meeting and deciding this until February 23rd . . can you say please what you are basing your report on?

On 2/14/2017 at 7:26 PM, fivewayswelshcobs said:

It was in the Express and Star on the 14th of February 2017

Thank you for that heads up and, following the meeting on the 23rd, it does appear that the closure plans were dropped prior to the meeting itself.  Another report here . . go half way down page : https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/15022017-birmingham-walsall-drop-proposed-museum-cuts

However, the venue isn't in the clear yet as perhaps indicated by the comment : "It has also agreed to keep the leather museum open at its current venue while seeking out new commercial opportunities to maximise its income."

OK . . . so best advice then is go NOW and as many times as you can then. :(

With my partner we visited the Walsall Leather Museum very recently and talked to the staff there.  They're confident that, for the foreseeable future, they will remain where they are.  Fingers crossed.