CaptQuirk

@TinkerTailor- Old Domestics

In one of the many posts, it seems like you mentioned owning an old Domestic treadle machine? I picked up an 1896 model in pretty good shape a few years back, hoping it might serve the wife's sewing needs on the homestead. Problem is, nobody can figure out how to use the thing. Would you happen to have some sort of literature, or even be able to describe the process of getting it going?

I was referring to machines for domestic use in that thread, however i also do have some info for Domestic brand machines anyways.

What problems are you having and do you know a model number? Do you have a picture?

One thing i know is the white machines turn the opposite way singers do. Domestic licensed some of their designs from other makers, so watch the feed dogs while turning the handwheel to see which way it turns. The dog should rise and move back if you are turning it the right way.  Domestics do not have the number of collecters as other brands, but back in the day they made a fine machine and were one of the oldest makers in the usa. Btw, old machines last forever but the cabinets/tables are hard to find nice. At one time they made 50000 machines a year by hand..........They were also known for having more silver plating than the others as well as things like solid walnut cabinets.

Old treadles are very simple and very similar to each other. You basically have rotary machines with a round modern style bobbin or a shuttle type with a bobbin that moves back and forth. Without the model number, or a picture I would guess your is a shuttle by the age. While other manuals may not be exactly the same, a manual for a similar machine or another clone will work if you need to adjust it.  As far as getting it going, clean all the moving parts and free them up. Quite a few threads on here about cleaning up old machines. Then get the manual out and oil it as per the instructions, then do it again. If it has been sitting for a while, after cleaning it well, over-oil it and wipe up the mess after. Over oiling won't hurt it, but running it without oil will. Once it is free and working, clean up the excess oil and get sewing. Stop if it is binding. If the machine is clean, and it binds up there may be a mechanical problem and it needs adjustment. Never know why the last person stopped using it. Usually they are just seized with hardened old oil. If it is tight but not binding, oil it well and turn it slow by hand. Usually you can free them up with some wiggling and lube. If you do not have a manual,  everywhere where metal moved against metal there will be a need for oil. If it sits there in your house unused, get in the habit of turning it over a few turns once a month.

Some info on Domestics:

http://ismacs.net/domestic/home.html

http://www.sewalot.com/domestic sewing machine.htm

Other than no reverse, that machine is likely great for a homestead. That is exactly what the were built for. Making the farmers shirts, frilly things for sunday and sewing up a hole in a feed bag.

@TinkerTailor- I knew you were the one to ask! I do not know the model number, nor am I able to get a picture right now. Once it was deemed unusable, it was moved to the back of the storage building, which means it kinda got buried behind stuff. Once I moved my leather work area in the same building, more stuff got piled in front of it. I can see it, just can't get to it. As for the problems she was having, I'll have to describe it in novice terms, since I know nothing at all about any kind of sewing machine.

There is a cone shaped thingy in the under region, that has something to do with the thread. While my Pops is old, and has been sewing for many years, this had him baffled. My wife is completely lost. When I can get back to it, I'll continue this thread (no pun intended), with some pics and a number. In the meanwhile, I can assure the missus there is indeed somebody that might be able to help her.

As far as the machine itself goes, it looks to be in excellent condition, and moved freely. At least it did when it got moved to storage. The cabinet is in ok shape, specially considering it's age. There is a little fading and peeling of the veneer, but that happens to old stuff. My veneer is nowhere near as old, and it is also showing lots of wear and tear, so who am I to throw stones, right?

The usually used hide glue for the veneer which means that if you know how, and have all the pieces, you can fix it. I am not the most knowledgeable about these old machines on here by far, but glad to help. Some of these guys are darn near obsessive..........

I'd say you are an expert compared to me, or any one else I know. And the finish is fairly simple, you're right. It is also not at the top of my list, considering the work it will involve.

Where are you located capt? Have you tried CL for cabinets? I know in my area there are always nice looking old tredle cabinets for sale many of them in very nice shape. 

I don't really mind the cabinet fading and peeling. When it gets ready to come back in the cabin, or gets a sewing shop to live in, I'll sand it down, oil it, and just try to preserve it. As far as parts, most folks seem to just scrap everything and try to sell the cast iron stand in antique stores.

1 hour ago, MADMAX22 said:

Where are you located capt? Have you tried CL for cabinets? I know in my area there are always nice looking old tredle cabinets for sale many of them in very nice shape. 

Louisville, Colorado according to the IP address.

It lies! If'n I was in Colorado, you could expect way more spelling errors, and lots of pointless ramblings ;)

6 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

One thing i know is the white machines turn the opposite way singers do.

FYI - Be careful with that statement, my friend.  White Rotary machines turn opposite Singers, but White VSIII (Vibrating Shuttle - third version) machines turn the same way as a Singer.  Not trolling you, just letting you know....

CD in Oklahoma

53 minutes ago, cdthayer said:

FYI - Be careful with that statement, my friend.  White Rotary machines turn opposite Singers, but White VSIII (Vibrating Shuttle - third version) machines turn the same way as a Singer.  Not trolling you, just letting you know....

CD in Oklahoma

I actually had rotary in that sentence before i edited it and forgot to put it back in, thanks for the correction.

Edited by TinkerTailor

1 hour ago, CaptQuirk said:

It lies! If'n I was in Colorado, you could expect way more spelling errors, and lots of pointless ramblings ;)

Ha I use to work at Jeffco airport for a few years (back when it was still jeffco). I dont recall much being between there and Boulder. Course that whole place has changed in the past 17 years since I lived there.