myjtp

Tandy High Tech Leather Splitter on sale $129 today only is it worth it?

$129 is a low price for a splitter.  I haven't used this model but I had their better one and didn't like it.  It is doubtful that it will be sharp out of the box, plan on doing a serious sharpening before you can use it.  The width of it is ok for belts and straps but will limit you on doing some other things.

I would bet a pinky toe that it will need sharpening out of the box. But we should all learn to sharpen stuff. At that price I would try it. It won't get any cheaper.

If you are looking to skiving belt ends it is ok, but as those above have said you'll need to keep a strop handy to strop the blade after a few belt ends.  I do have one and I think it is the same as that one, if your lookin at splitting leather after a just a few, no more than 4,5 you will definitely need to sharpen the blade, one thing that can help to make it last is to not use the same area of the blade, keep moving around so the blade will last a little longer.

I have one.  I use it all the time.  It Is sharp out of the box.  I have not had to strop or sharpen the blade yet.  It has a basic blade that is easy to sharpen or have a saw filer sharpen for you.  For the price it is good entry level skiver.  My recommendation is on the adjustment screw that you put a indicator marking on it so that you know how far you are adjusting the rollers.  I did had a wood handle for easier opening.  Other then that I have no complaints.  Overall good unit. 

Guess I owe somebody a pinky toe.

I have this one too. It was sharp out of the box. I do wish the wider ones were not so expensive though. Sometimes I like to make holsters with full exotic outsides. These are always wider than 4".

3 hours ago, Powerband said:

Can you use this unit to skive 4-inch gussets?

This one is spendier, but will do the job.  5 1/2" wide leather.

https://tandyleather.com/products/deluxe-leather-splitter?_pos=6&_sid=e213dcde5&_ss=r

This one from Springfield Leather is around 2 bills...

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Splitter-Bench

Edited by Tugadude

On 11/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, Powerband said:

Thank you, Tugadude. Anyone tried around four inches with the Tandy unit?

I have the Tandy one (it was a bit overpriced at time of purchase) and does what I need it to do, sharpening tips on the blade would be helpful, PM me

15 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

I have the Tandy one (it was a bit overpriced at time of purchase) and does what I need it to do, sharpening tips on the blade would be helpful, PM me

I know this is for a Osborne 84 splitter but the method will be pretty much the same just to add more often than not give it a good strop every now and then it will help keep it in good working order meaning less time spent on sharpening, a good polished blade works a lot better. This method is pretty much the same way as i sharpen both my splitter blades. 

Help this helps

JCUK 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, Doc Reaper said:

goes into sharpening the blade at the end:

On 1/6/2022 at 2:00 PM, Doc Reaper said:

Sorry just seen i did not add the link. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUvErBUG68

Hope this helps

JCUK