wlg190861

Round/Head knife

I've been thinking of buying a good quality head knife an was hoping to hear your input. I don't want to say money is no object but, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So give me you advice and why.

What kind of work are you doing?

There are two paths I personally would go down. 

1- Buy from a custom maker. I am not in the know on good ones but there are a few makers of leatherworking knives. 

2-Buy old stock knives like Gomph, Rose, Old Osbournes (some others). I have a Gomph like the one here item 6531 http://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/knives-and-handled-cutting-tools-sale that is very sharp and I really like it plus its a smaller but not too small so works for a lot of different projects.

Now the why, the old knives were made usually with "high carbon" steel (calm down knife guru's) and was generally good high quality steel. They had good heatreat, held an edge, and if maintained properly only require stropping to stay sharp. 

The new "custom" makers now a days use a wide range of high quality steels and generally have the heat treat dialed in. They can get you the shape you want, usually have a few different steels to choose from if you have a preference. 

The mass produced knives today are just not worth your money assuming you work for it. 

Atleast thats IMHO. 

Wanted to add, there are some differences with the thickness of the blade as well. I have a rose blade also which is somewhat thick comparatively to some of my other knives, it works great for cutting true english bridle and thicker veg hide. The thinner gomph and a couple others I have still perform great but do thinner leathers a little better. Atleast that has been my experience. I think the thicker blade pushes out the thicker leather a tad more opening up the cut.  

Edited by MADMAX22

I am looking very hard at knipschield knives. I don't own a quality head or round knife yet, but I will own one of his sooner or later.

http://www.knipknives.com/leather.php

I'm loving the knife @Rossr made for me. It really holds an edge. Actually I haven't sharpened it since I got it, but stropped it only. Only got it blunt on a side of stingray leather.
Contact him, he's a really nice guy and I'm sure you'll be happy with his service as well as his knife.

56 minutes ago, HBAR said:

I love this style or a slight variation. The shape and handle angle make it wonderful to use.

http://www.shop.leatherwranglers.com/product.sc?productId=37

_MG_9990-Deeter-w.jpg

And for 275 bucks it should also cut the leather for you by itself as well.  Who needs the mosaic pins or the fancy handle material....I just want to cut leather with a sharp blade.

2 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

And for 275 bucks it should also cut the leather for you by itself as well.  Who needs the mosaic pins or the fancy handle material....I just want to cut leather with a sharp blade.

I personally dont need the fanciness of it either.  I like the design of the blade, the angle of the handle, the good steel.

However I find it strange that a craftsman who probably makes decorative items for money would begrudge another craftsman for doing the same thing.

I mean I can buy a $5 nylon guitar strap that holds up my Martin, but its nice to have a custom leather guitar strap made by a skilled craftsman.

Also, I dont own the knife pictured or know the people who sell it.  I did use  one of their knives like this one at a class I took.  It was  fantastic.

Edited by HBAR

14 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

What kind of work are you doing?

There are two paths I personally would go down. 

1- Buy from a custom maker. I am not in the know on good ones but there are a few makers of leatherworking knives. 

2-Buy old stock knives like Gomph, Rose, Old Osbournes (some others). I have a Gomph like the one here item 6531 http://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/knives-and-handled-cutting-tools-sale that is very sharp and I really like it plus its a smaller but not too small so works for a lot of different projects.

Now the why, the old knives were made usually with "high carbon" steel (calm down knife guru's) and was generally good high quality steel. They had good heatreat, held an edge, and if maintained properly only require stropping to stay sharp. 

The new "custom" makers now a days use a wide range of high quality steels and generally have the heat treat dialed in. They can get you the shape you want, usually have a few different steels to choose from if you have a preference. 

The mass produced knives today are just not worth your money assuming you work for it. 

Atleast thats IMHO. 

Wanted to add, there are some differences with the thickness of the blade as well. I have a rose blade also which is somewhat thick comparatively to some of my other knives, it works great for cutting true english bridle and thicker veg hide. The thinner gomph and a couple others I have still perform great but do thinner leathers a little better. Atleast that has been my experience. I think the thicker blade pushes out the thicker leather a tad more opening up the cut.  

Leatherwork is  just a hobby now an I dabble into everything from 14oz to 1 1/2 oz. Been messing with furs lately.

6 minutes ago, wlg190861 said:

Leatherwork is  just a hobby now an I dabble into everything from 14oz to 1 1/2 oz. Been messing with furs lately.

I would recommend personally a medium to smaller sized one like that gomph on Bruce's website. It will handle a range of items. 

One thing to remember also is that if you take care of your knife and 10 years from now (assuming were all still around) that knife will probably get you your money back or close to it. 

Same goes for the custom made ones, although generally more expensive, take care of it and you can always sell em and recoupe most of your cost and in some cases more than what ya paid for it. 

3 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

For someone who is interested in knife making ya have a odd outlook on other knife makers work. 

Ya think that is bad, price some blanchard pricking irons without fancy wood or mosaic pins or honestly much finish work at all. 

I guess I am kind of bias because I like good craftsmanship with some artistic talent thrown in, hence why I picked up a couple sets of bearman mauls vs just getting a rawhide mallet. Sure I could accomplish similar work but the feel of them are so much nice, the rebound is nicer, the sound much more pleasant, and they look good. Not to mention when I am on my way out I can give em to my kids if they are interested or sell them to another leather worker for a decent price and still not be out much. 

I stand corrected if each of these head knives are custom made.  I was under the impression that these were production pieces.  Still in all, and, when I'm shopping for tools for everyday use I take more of a utilitarian approach.  I don't need it fancy, I just need it to work.

5 hours ago, HBAR said:

I personally dont need the fanciness of it either.  I like the design of the blade, the angle of the handle, the good steel.

However I find it strange that a craftsman who probably makes decorative items for money would begrudge another craftsman for doing the same thing.

I mean I can buy a $5 nylon guitar strap that holds up my Martin, but its nice to have a custom leather guitar strap made by a skilled craftsman.

Also, I dont own the knife pictured or know the people who sell it.  I did use  one of their knives like this one at a class I took.  It was  fantastic.

Touche' sir. Well said, hahaha.

Thank you all for your input:rolleyes: I love this site as you can learn so much.

Hey, Thor, which knife did you get, and what do you normally use it for?  Do you mostly make straight cuts, curved cuts, skiving?  Thanks!

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

Hey, Thor, which knife did you get, and what do you normally use it for?  Do you mostly make straight cuts, curved cuts, skiving?  Thanks!

YinTx

@YinTx since I got a prototype for testing mine is this one http://oldmillleathercrafts.thewesternsource.com/review-for-headround-knife-of-einhorn-llc/ Ross uses a thinner blade now, which is better and the model doesn't have a hole in the blade. The hole was made just for me cause I like using it for a pulling cut as well. The current model Ross makes and sells is this one http://www.einhorncustom.com/product-page/80ff7a0f-f04e-1cd9-797b-17093704c646. With only $150 for the quality he makes well worth it.
I'm using it for all sorts of cuts. Cuts just like a charm and since I learned a different cutting method with the round knife during the saddle making course with @gmace99 I'm even cutting heavy skirting leather with it now.

Personally I prefer the full round, ecspecially if it has two different shapes. Allows one knife to be used for different cutting operations plus if one starts dulling while your cutting just flip it over and your good to go. 

I am sure with the tool steel the dulling effect doesnt happen as frequently. Nice looking knives. 

On 12/11/2016 at 10:40 PM, TonyRV2 said:

I stand corrected if each of these head knives are custom made.  I was under the impression that these were production pieces.  Still in all, and, when I'm shopping for tools for everyday use I take more of a utilitarian approach.  I don't need it fancy, I just need it to work.

Tony RV2 - I am with you on this statement!

The currency is not in my favour nor is the thought of importing a head knife! So I decided to make my own from a circular saw blade.

It is functional and works like a charm

20160806_090505.jpg

20160806_090452.jpg

Dirkba....nice job on the head knife.  I also make knives, mostly hunting style knives, but I've been kicking around designing and grinding out head knives as well.  I haven't gotten as far as pricing out materials yet, I'm just in the "I wonder if I really want to try this" stage.  Using an old saw blade was a good idea for starters, but the hardness is usually suspect since most saw blades use carbide or tungsten welded on teeth.  Not that that's necessarily a problem, just means you might have to sharpen it more often is all.  In the knife making end of things, we call this kind of stuff "mystery steel" because know one knows for certain what it is or how to harden it.  Good looking end result though....I like it.  Oh....and a great job on that secondary bevel as well.  What did you grind it out on?

Edited by TonyRV2

Yeah, I'm in the "just gimme somethin that works" croud here.  If a fella makes custom knives, he certainly can set his own price -- no issues from me.

I remember that day I was in the auto parts store, the kid behind the counter got a personal call.  No hurry, so I told him take his call.  His wife, just got her first ever BRAND NEW car.  Now there's a buzzer and a warning light going off on the dash... she's freeeeekin out.  So what ya do?  Call yer husband the auto parts guy, right?  "Diagnosed" by asking what the light says... "low tire pressure"....  So he asks 'did ya try putting air in the tire?' :rofl:

Now, this is where I'm sitting.... do I REALLY wanna pay several hundred dollars for a "sensor" that tells me to check the tires?@!!#@$!

Car dealer won't sell me that model WITHOUT that sensor (dont come that way), so I dont own one.  But then, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd still be at the fishin' hole with a old pickup truck and a stubborn dog, NOT answering my cheap cell phone ...

C'mon J....if you won the lottery, wouldn't you at least give the F150 King Ranch a look?  B)

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Yeah, I'm in the "just gimme somethin that works" croud here.  If a fella makes custom knives, he certainly can set his own price -- no issues from me.

I remember that day I was in the auto parts store, the kid behind the counter got a personal call.  No hurry, so I told him take his call.  His wife, just got her first ever BRAND NEW car.  Now there's a buzzer and a warning light going off on the dash... she's freeeeekin out.  So what ya do?  Call yer husband the auto parts guy, right?  "Diagnosed" by asking what the light says... "low tire pressure"....  So he asks 'did ya try putting air in the tire?' :rofl:

Now, this is where I'm sitting.... do I REALLY wanna pay several hundred dollars for a "sensor" that tells me to check the tires?@!!#@$!

Car dealer won't sell me that model WITHOUT that sensor (dont come that way), so I dont own one.  But then, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd still be at the fishin' hole with a old pickup truck and a stubborn dog, NOT answering my cheap cell phone ...

Actually that light will also come on if you change tires and the circumference isn't the same as before and it will not do that right away but after several hundred Miles.

Just to emphasize I am not saying don't buy expensive just because.  You can order some 1084 cheaply, make a few brick forge and heat it to nonmagnetic and quench in canola oil, sand appropriately and you will have a nice knife (better then random sawblade steel). Just have to deal with fixing a little warfare possibly. Add a simple oak handle and your all set. 

Oh and JLS my 2014 truck drives me nuts. It has more chimes and reminders than I had to deal with operating a hot rock.

The Master Tools Head knife from Weaver Leather is very nice.  Costs around $58 wholesale.  Came sharp and ready to use.  Has a nice feel to it as well.  Much nicer than the CSO I also have.

Very newbie here. 

I bought a restored head knife from Mr Douglas of Douglas Tools in Wyoming. Crazy sharp. Also bought an edger and his slim awl. Incredible tools.

IMG_0603.JPG