canemaker

Selecting leather for the back of a CHAINMAILLE vest

I can use a little bit of help selecting a letter to use on a project that I'm working on. I am making a vest combining chainmaille front panels with the back being solid leather. I would like to do some light tooling and carving, so I'm guessing a heavy garment leather is not an option? I have lots of veg tan leather in multiple thicknesses. Will that soften up a bit and be pliable or will it remain or get stiffer over time?

Can anybody point me in the direction app where I can get some laser etching done on weather?

15338833_1801280893479029_4976466445664894654_n.jpg

15442282_1801280503479068_9059344973675306089_n.jpg

You could use 3 ot 4 oz veg tan leather for your backing, and as for stiffness as it is armour a little stiffness will not hurt you as the chainmail itself will be flowing so it SHOULD counter act the stiffness in the leather. Personally I would not go any thicker then 3 to 4 oz veg tan leather, and you can't use garment leather to tool on.

Sorry for the delay in my response, the holidays have been hectic... LOL

I intend on wearing this at Renaissance Fairs as I sell my chainmaille. So I'm looking for a little bit of comfort. I have lots of veg tan on hand. What is the easiest way to soften it up, or should I be looking more towards a deer tanned leather.

Look at how the back of a denim jacket is constructed. If you tooled a center panel with veg tan, that piece would not need to be as flexible.  Then make a shoulder and two side pieces out of some garment leather or deer hide.

3 hours ago, cjartist said:

Look at how the back of a denim jacket is constructed. If you tooled a center panel with veg tan, that piece would not need to be as flexible.  Then make a shoulder and two side pieces out of some garment leather or deer hide.

This is a great idea or you could do what was suggested for my leather waist coat use BOTH veg tanned and garment leather. Do the back out of garment leather and the make a panel/s out of veg tanned tool it then stitch the panel to the garment leather