thekid77

how do you guys manage leather dust and avoid exposure?

Hey friends, I was just reading some literature about how leather dust is a carcinogen,  so I'm thinking how do I still continue to do what I love safely?

Is anyone out there or has anyone out there taken steps to limit their exposure? If so, what do you do?

Fresh Air mask in a well ventilated area when I'm sanding, same thing if i'm spraying resolene or dye.You can get a decent mask and replacement filters for a relative low price at the local hardware giant.

Edited by MisterSmith

Without reading the literature, i would bet that veg tan is going to be much less carcinogenic than chrome tan and i would also guess that the glue, dye, rubber  and finish in the dust is also the major culprit. Shoe makers use sanding as an operation more than most any other leather trade, and they also use the nastiest chemicals and products on that leather meaning the data on carcinogenic nature is likely skewed. I doubt many harness and saddle makers get cancer from the dust.  If you are grinding away soles on boots all day, get a mask and filter system, if you are just doing the edges on a veg tan holster once a week, I would not worry as much.

Now as for vapours from spraying/product application, absolutely get a mask rated for organic vapour. Your brain will thank you.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Spirit based dyes do not come off well.. and I sprayed one time and had red burgers for almost a week. lesson learned lol. your auto parts stores carry paint masks (3m makes good ones that oreilly auto carries).

Umm we are suppose to wear masks when using glues and dyes and now dust?! Did I miss a memo?? Oh well use to work in a plastic blowmolde factory, helped dad in his cabinet making, help rebuild half  a boat, and worked in a chicken processing plant...pretty sure I am going to die of something..so what the hell why bother?!

RED BURGERS, only when I order my prime rib :)

42 minutes ago, Windrider30 said:

so what the hell why bother

I will admit i never used masks and the like for most of my life. I have painted and sprayed and cleaned so many things in poorly ventilated areas, and it never bugged me. Unfortunately now I have become sensitized and I get a debilitating headache from fumes in no time. I know people who are much more sensitive than me. Its not the death i am worried about, it is the headaches. I wear a mask now.

I also have hearing loss in my right ear from various ways i abused my hearing in youth. Mostly motors, explosions and extremely loud music (135db+). Considering what I put them through, I'm surprised they work at all. I wear earplugs for anything remotely loud now. I want to keep what i have left. Tinnitus sucks.

Glue fumes can be nasty, most any dust isn't good. Some people will never have a problem and other will do something for 20 years without a problem, then on day #7305 they do. Masks are cheap, gloves are cheap, ear plugs are cheap, vacuums are cheap, fans are cheap and windows usually open easily. Now that I have switched over from leather work to leather tools, I can also add that leather aprons with leg shields are cheap, leather sleeves are cheap, and eye protection is cheap. My biggest problem used to making myself put it all on. At my other job (and likely yours) there are all these safety posters that take up wall space. I made up a non OSHA approved version for my little home shop. Laminated right there on the door - eye high for me to read every time I walk in. It has sure helped me to safety up.  I attached a copy below here.

Safety Notice.jpg

Mask and hook a shop vac up to my sander when I'm using it.  I use the mask when I'm gluing now too.  It's there, might as well.  

I had an art professor that was violently allergic to a very specific kind of paint thinner, then kind he used for nearly 30 years before he became allergic to it.  He would not allow it in his class and talked the school store into not carrying it.  

on the glue note I have stopped using rubber and contact cement, I am now hooked on Eco-flo leather weld. Its a water based contact glue looks like elmers glue almost. you apply it while its wet to one or both sides (I do both pieces) apply pressure while its wet and wait for it to dry which doesn't take too long to set. two bonuses to it A: water baised great for the environment and safe around the moron dogs that currently live with me and B: no smell!

On 12/12/2016 at 1:09 PM, MisterSmith said:

Fresh Air mask in a well ventilated area when I'm sanding, same thing if i'm spraying resolene or dye.You can get a decent mask and replacement filters for a relative low price at the local hardware giant.

Yes, definitely...I need to get a better mask than the one I'm using now....thank you!

On 12/12/2016 at 1:17 PM, TinkerTailor said:

Without reading the literature, i would bet that veg tan is going to be much less carcinogenic than chrome tan and i would also guess that the glue, dye, rubber  and finish in the dust is also the major culprit. Shoe makers use sanding as an operation more than most any other leather trade, and they also use the nastiest chemicals and products on that leather meaning the data on carcinogenic nature is likely skewed. I doubt many harness and saddle makers get cancer from the dust.  If you are grinding away soles on boots all day, get a mask and filter system, if you are just doing the edges on a veg tan holster once a week, I would not worry as much.

Now as for vapours from spraying/product application, absolutely get a mask rated for organic vapour. Your brain will thank you.

Thank you, a better mask is next on the list!!

On 12/12/2016 at 4:26 PM, Chrism said:

Spirit based dyes do not come off well.. and I sprayed one time and had red burgers for almost a week. lesson learned lol. your auto parts stores carry paint masks (3m makes good ones that oreilly auto carries).

LOL!!

On 12/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, Windrider30 said:

Umm we are suppose to wear masks when using glues and dyes and now dust?! Did I miss a memo?? Oh well use to work in a plastic blowmolde factory, helped dad in his cabinet making, help rebuild half  a boat, and worked in a chicken processing plant...pretty sure I am going to die of something..so what the hell why bother?!

Well, apparently dust can be just as toxic as the other things lol...

On 12/12/2016 at 5:14 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

RED BURGERS, only when I order my prime rib :)

LOL!!

On 12/12/2016 at 6:00 PM, TinkerTailor said:

I will admit i never used masks and the like for most of my life. I have painted and sprayed and cleaned so many things in poorly ventilated areas, and it never bugged me. Unfortunately now I have become sensitized and I get a debilitating headache from fumes in no time. I know people who are much more sensitive than me. Its not the death i am worried about, it is the headaches. I wear a mask now.

I also have hearing loss in my right ear from various ways i abused my hearing in youth. Mostly motors, explosions and extremely loud music (135db+). Considering what I put them through, I'm surprised they work at all. I wear earplugs for anything remotely loud now. I want to keep what i have left. Tinnitus sucks.

Thank you, yes, I need a better mask...fumes give me headaches as well

On 12/12/2016 at 10:49 PM, bruce johnson said:

Glue fumes can be nasty, most any dust isn't good. Some people will never have a problem and other will do something for 20 years without a problem, then on day #7305 they do. Masks are cheap, gloves are cheap, ear plugs are cheap, vacuums are cheap, fans are cheap and windows usually open easily. Now that I have switched over from leather work to leather tools, I can also add that leather aprons with leg shields are cheap, leather sleeves are cheap, and eye protection is cheap. My biggest problem used to making myself put it all on. At my other job (and likely yours) there are all these safety posters that take up wall space. I made up a non OSHA approved version for my little home shop. Laminated right there on the door - eye high for me to read every time I walk in. It has sure helped me to safety up.  I attached a copy below here.

Safety Notice.jpg

Haha, thanks for sharing Bruce I will take those things to heart!!

On 12/12/2016 at 11:41 PM, chiefjason said:

Mask and hook a shop vac up to my sander when I'm using it.  I use the mask when I'm gluing now too.  It's there, might as well.  

I had an art professor that was violently allergic to a very specific kind of paint thinner, then kind he used for nearly 30 years before he became allergic to it.  He would not allow it in his class and talked the school store into not carrying it.  

Good idea.....what kind of sander are you using? belt sander?

On 12/13/2016 at 0:55 AM, Windrider30 said:

on the glue note I have stopped using rubber and contact cement, I am now hooked on Eco-flo leather weld. Its a water based contact glue looks like elmers glue almost. you apply it while its wet to one or both sides (I do both pieces) apply pressure while its wet and wait for it to dry which doesn't take too long to set. two bonuses to it A: water baised great for the environment and safe around the moron dogs that currently live with me and B: no smell!

Thank you Smith! :)

My sanders are both hooked up to a small shop vac (hose goes thru the wall so I don't have to listen to the whine) and it is turned on first.

I then turn on the lights so I can see what I'm cutting with the sander.

I then turn on the sander and go to work.

Reverse the process to shut down.

I long ago, . . . while working in a very large industrial paint production facility, . . . was told and still believe, . . . that the real key is not as much the protective stuff as it is the amount of exposure.  YES, . . . by all means use the equipment, . . . but also do not allow the work to get to where you are sanding for 3 hours, . . . or applying contact cement for hours on end, . . . or spraying dye or finish without a paint booth.

ALL of our spraying was done in a booth, . . . and I have not begun serious spraying simply because I don't have a paint booth set up yet.  I will, . . . but until it is finished, my lungs are more important to me.  Open air spraying leaves mists in the air in all the shop, . . . when you take off the mask, . . . you will breathe whatever you were spraying a few minutes ago.  

At 72, I'm still in reasonably good health, . . . but my lungs need a bit of help, . . . I do the 2 puffs of inhalant twice a day, . . . y'all protect them lungs you got, . . . you only get one set.  I believe my problem stems from agent Orange, . . . but the VA doesn't, . . . so I just go on, protecting what I have, . . . hope y'all do the same.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I have a sanding drum that I mount in my floor drill press.  Saves space and does what I need to too.  I use a bungee to mount the shop vac hose to the drill press table.  

I have a system that really limits the amount of dust- I do everything by hand. No expensive or fancy machines to make thing quick and easy for me, no sir. The only dust I create is when I fart... Oops! Did I say that out loud?

If you can smell it chances are it's not going to be good for you, a bit like smoke and fire. Here are a few idea's I have used that should help and compared to your health costs are very inexpensive.

The first and second pics for dust is a good sized extractor which I have located just alongside and outside which services several machines.

The third and forth pic shows what can be done with a bit of perspex and a piano hinge. This takes care of the majority of dust and the wall fan extractor takes care of any smaller floaties that escape.

The fifth pic shows what can be done for a drum sander with a bit of pvc plumbing pipe and araldite. This works very well and has lasted for many years and thousands of belts.

The sixth pic shows  a simple piece of vacuum pipe ground out close to grinding stone and this also works very well. 

For glue I run flexible ducting up to the ceiling and out and this keeps the main glue fumes dragged away from the operator similar to as it is used in a welding extractor.

I hope this will be of some use and encourage some of you to enjoy their leather working skills in to a good long and healthy age.:rockon:

Regards Brian

5.JPG

6.JPG

DSC02979_resize.JPG

DSC07923_resize.JPG

DSC07921_resize.JPG

DSC07919_resize.JPG

DSC08041_resize.JPG

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

If you can smell it chances are it's not going to be good for you, a bit like smoke and fire. Here are a few idea's I have used that should help and compared to your health costs are very inexpensive.

The first and second pics for dust is a good sized extractor which I have located just alongside and outside which services several machines.

The third and forth pic shows what can be done with a bit of perspex and a piano hinge. This takes care of the majority of dust and the wall fan extractor takes care of any smaller floaties that escape.

The fifth pic shows what can be done for a drum sander with a bit of pvc plumbing pipe and araldite. This works very well and has lasted for many years and thousands of belts.

The sixth pic shows  a simple piece of vacuum pipe ground out close to grinding stone and this also works very well. 

For glue I run flexible ducting up to the ceiling and out and this keeps the main glue fumes dragged away from the operator similar to as it is used in a welding extractor.

I hope this will be of some use and encourage some of you to enjoy their leather working skills in to a good long and healthy age.:rockon:

Regards Brian

5.JPG

6.JPG

DSC02979_resize.JPG

DSC07923_resize.JPG

DSC07921_resize.JPG

DSC07919_resize.JPG

DSC08041_resize.JPG

WOW....that is a professional looking setup....blows my little shop away lol

It all sucks really:17: