pearlheartgtr

Double Capped Snaps?

I was thinking about making a wine tote for my aunt, but it calls for 3 snaps at the top of the handle. All well and good, but the backside of the snap is ugly and really makes the tote look cheap. Are there snaps that have caps on both sides?

I had thought about just leaving it be, without a fastener at the top, or sewing a flap of leather with a snap to wrap around the handle. I just wanted to check my options before I proceed.

I'm not sure about your application, but you could use another dome (rather than a post) with the stud part of the snap?  Then it would be pretty on both sides.

This is what I'm making.

Wine-Bottle-Carrier.jpg

The top of the handle is supposed to snap closed.

Use domes (caps) on both sides. With line 20 and 24 snaps, the stud part will work with either the usual post or a dome.

OK. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

If you haven't worked with YKK directly I would reach out to them. They make an SX series snap that you don't have to pre punch holes. It's amazing. And both sides look great. 

Give it a google!

21 minutes ago, imstephenjones said:

If you haven't worked with YKK directly I would reach out to them. They make an SX series snap that you don't have to pre punch holes. It's amazing. And both sides look great. 

Give it a google!

Do those work in leather? Up to what thickness? 

I've used them in 8-10oz. I've never tested it's limit, since that's the thickest I use. 

Thats cool, just wondered if they would atleast handle leather applications. 

For sure. Shoot an email to Ed Kelly. He's the man when it comes to explaining their product. They are also insanely easy to work with. They have never mistreated me. I think it would be impossible for them to. 

I DM'd his email to you. 

Thanks, appreciate it. 

Those do look pretty cool. I'm a hobbiest mainly. Can they be had in smaller quantity and a one way snap (pull the dot I think it's called) style?

3 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Those do look pretty cool. I'm a hobbiest mainly. Can they be had in smaller quantity and a one way snap (pull the dot I think it's called) style?

I order as large as 1,000 units and as little as 100 units. The cost is really great. I did work with a company last summer that we used a one way snap for. 

Heres where they can get spendy - the dies. They have two price points for dies. $70 and $140/ piece. So for snaps I believe it's a hefty investment. 

I do know what you can manually set these of you don't have the cash to buy the dies. What I do is pierce the material with the side that has the two prongs. I then use an awl to poke two small holes in the side without the prongs. Then I press that piece onto the prong piece and tap them down with a tooling tool and a hammer. 

This is is what I do for the jean buttons I get from them because I don't use them in large production runs. Just samples for clients so far. 

They are worth the investment, though. So it's great to start with and then buy the dies when you can afford them. 

Move even just punched a 1/16" or 1/8" hole (just like the other style snaps) and installed them the same way as mentioned above. 

You MAY need a business license to get an account with them. I'm not 100% sure. Let me know if you pursue that so I can provide better info in the future. 

I know you already have plenty of suggestions but... I would have just lined that  top portion of the tote above the cut out or including just under the cut out.    You could set the 3 snaps in the liner and then glue and stitch it to the rest.  Nothing would show from the outside and would be cheap and easy to do.

Edited by HBAR

I've only ever needed to cover the base of a snap a couple of times. On those I glued the head of a rivet onto the base with the wee short stemmy bit fitting tightly into the centre hole of the snap's base