cdthayer

Singer 78-3 Treadle

I’ve been setting up my 1950 Singer 78-3 needle-feed machine that I finally got hauled home from OKC.  It was in an old H-leg power stand when I bought it.  I gave the stand & clutch motor to my son-in-law and mounted the small 18”x42” slab top onto my household MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) stand.  I have multiple tops for my MUTT so that I can use it with a variety of machines.  This is the first industrial machine top that I’ve fitted to it.  The top was only drilled for a motor, so I had to drill a second hole for the treadle belt.  I guess that by 1950, tops didn’t get drilled for both treadle and motor power.  I’m also using a smaller 3/16” household leather treadle belt on it for now until I see how much slippage that I get.  I’m not going to be sewing dense leather with it, so the small belt may work fine.  I use a 2-piece belt on my MUTT, a long piece and a short piece, so that when I change tops and machines, I can just change the short piece.

I need to get a spool pin on it, a new hook, a second face plate screw, and do some more cleaning on it.  I still need to mount the knee-lifter back onto the underside of the top too.  It’s a Simanco #228360 lift that mounts on one side of the top, and is not the lift shown in the 78-3 parts list, so the top must not be original to the machine. The hook that was in it is for a 31-15, and without the big needle in it that it came with, a size 18 needle won’t pick up the Tex 90 thread that I’ve test-sewn with.  Hopefully, the correct hook will solve that problem.  I’m not sure what I’ll use the 3SPI for, but I like the long stitches.  Even with a treadle, it doesn’t take long to get somewhere with that long of a stitch.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine604_01.jpg

Machine604C_05.jpg

Probably refurbished in the 1960's with that logo

3 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Probably refurbished in the 1960's with that logo

Could be.  It sure is “new-looking” isn’t it?

I got the presser foot lift lever mounted back onto the table.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine604_07.jpg

Machine604_08.jpg

What a difference a correct hook can make.  I put hook #37854 in, and the missing stitch problem is gone.  I test-sewed a vinyl and woven “sandwich” with Tex90 thread and a size 18 needle, and it sewed just fine.  Then, I test-sewed a quilting cotton and batting “sandwich” with Tex30 thread and a size 14 needle, and it sewed just fine with the thin thread.  

I intend to use this machine as a straight-line quilting machine for my wife.  I’m not sure if she’ll take to the treadle or to the machine, but she’s going to give it a try.  If it turns out that she doesn’t “bond with it”, I can always set it back up for heavy work and put it back in my sewing area.  I think it would be great for woven saddle blankets, dog beds, and that sort of thing.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine604_10.jpg

Singer 78-3 - The Ma & Pa Machine

If you’re wanting to get a good needle-feed machine for your light leatherwork, but are having trouble getting financing from the one that holds the purse strings (wife), you might consider going for a Singer 78-3.  But, make sure that you call it a “quilting machine”, because it is an excellent straight-line quilting machine.  That may help get one into your herd of machines.  My wife tried mine and liked it so well that she quilted two quilts in four days, her first treadle quilting ever.  Yea, she had some sore muscles when she was done.  

I set it up for her with a size 14 needle (135x17-14), set the tensions for Tex30 polyester/cotton thread, and set the stitch length to about 12 stitches per inch.  It didn’t miss a stitch, and she didn’t get any puckers at the end of a stitch line.  She was impressed, and is looking forward to doing more quilts on it.

On the other hand, I had initially tested it on vinyl set up with a size 18 needle, using Tex90 thread, the stitch length set to 4 SPI, and it sewed great.  I understand that it will handle up to size Tex138 thread, and sew up to 3/16” thick.  It’s not designed as a harness machine, but it will work well for lighter projects.  My 1950 model came to me with a #36280 serrated inner foot and a #36281 smooth outer 3/16” welting foot.  There are no feed dogs, so there are no marks underneath.  My inner foot doesn’t have sharp teeth.  I don’t know if that’s wear from use, or if someone worked it over to dull them.  With the presser foot pressure set at about half of the thumbscrew adjustment, foot marks on textured vinyl are negligent but noticeable on smooth vinyl.  If I did much smooth vinyl or leather with it, I’d probably try dipping the foot to smooth it out.

When it comes to a “his and hers” craft sewing machine, the 78-3 is about as dual-purpose as I could ask for.

CD in Oklahoma

20170207_01.jpg

Machine604_11.jpg

Machine604_13.jpg

Hey CD Welcome to the 78 Club .. I now have a 78-1 and 78-3 and cannot tell any difference between  (just visual side by side, not detail examination).

Mine works well with the standard 31-15 knee lift mechanism.. It dropped right into a 31-15 treadle-power-treadle table. I have done a lot of piecing with mine and it works great. Very capable machine.  I have not found a live source for the feet.  Yes, it does handle heaver thread than the 31-15.

What is the metal cylindrical chunk above the stitch length adjuster? Thread lube pot?  Where did you find your replacement shuttle.  I found replacement needle plate on the online auction site. I wonder what the little cutter under the needle plate is meant to do?

Got some pictures of my 78-1 at:

https://sites.google.com/site/oldironmachines/home/singer-78-1 

Happy Day

Lee

16 hours ago, leecopp said:

....I have not found a live source for the feet.....What is the metal cylindrical chunk above the stitch length adjuster? Thread lube pot?  Where did you find your replacement shuttle.  I found replacement needle plate on the online auction site. I wonder what the little cutter under the needle plate is 

Lee

Wow.  You’re getting a fleet of 78s aren’t you.  Now you just need the 78-2 with the bobbed-off bed next to the needle.  I think one of those would be real handy for making repairs.  I haven’t tried to find any feet for my 78-3.  The #37854 hook is available new from my distributor for the Consew Class 28 and Singer Class 78 machines, so you can probably get it about anywhere.

Yes, that’s a tiny little lube pot.  It has a wire spring that snaps down on the thread to make sure it rides against the felt pad.  I don’t know what the little tab under the needle plate is for.

CD in Oklahoma

I have a 119-2 which looks like a class 78 but with a cylinder arm. have you found any good place to get replacement parts for the 78s? I guess this is a rare find because i can not find parts for the 119-2 but so far the parts for the 78 match the part numbers for the 119-2.

39262864_2080920908586178_6630299168415940608_n.jpg

39242296_2080920815252854_2473503031912562688_n.jpg

17 hours ago, justingschneider said:

I have a 119-2 which looks like a class 78 but with a cylinder arm. have you found any good place to get replacement parts for the 78s? I guess this is a rare find because i can not find parts for the 119-2 but so far the parts for the 78 match the part numbers for the 119-2.

I had not seen the Singer 119-2 machine before.  Thank you for showing it.  It appears that it would be an excellent machine for mending repairs, where a person would have to get into tight areas.

I still don’t have a source for 78-series parts.  I still haven’t needed any.  I don’t use the machine a lot, but I found out that it’s really useful for basting the lining to the outer shell on insulated work clothing when I need to replace a zipper.  The long 3SPI basting stitches are easy to remove afterwards.

I swapped the machine into a different treadle since the last photos shown in this thread.  It’s now in an industrial-size Singer treadle that is outfitted with a household 12-inch flywheel.  I didn’t have a 16-inch flywheel for this treadle, so I put a smaller one in it with an extended pitman rod.  It works just fine this way.  Besides my basting with it, the wife still uses it for straight-line quilting, so it is still set up for Tex30 thread for both uses.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine604_14.jpg

Hello,

I have a 78-2, the pictures of your machine look very much like what I have, but I think you noted it as a 78-1 or 78-3.  I cannot seem to find a picture of the 78-2.  Can you tell me the differences between the 78-1, 2, and 3?  I hope someone is still receiving these messages, the last post was some years ago.  Thank you for any information.  

I had a 78-1 for a while.  No service manuals.

I disagree with the Singer literature.  These are not lightweight machines.  Needle size to 25, 1/2 inch under the presser foot, large heavy handwheel, 3 stitches per inch.  Simple and reliable yes, light weight no.

Have fun with yours!

5 hours ago, sandmanred said:

I had a 78-1 for a while.  No service manuals.

I disagree with the Singer literature.  These are not lightweight machines.  Needle size to 25, 1/2 inch under the presser foot, large heavy handwheel, 3 stitches per inch.  Simple and reliable yes, light weight no.

Have fun with yours!

Agree that you disagree. I had one too but I only had 8mm foot lift. But it was a phenomenal simple machine with an extremely long stitch. I really liked it.

I have a parts list for 78-2 78-3 but file is too big to attach here. But you for sure find it online. Also look for Consew 28  thats  the same machine.