yippi

Cowboy 3200

I have a Cowboy 3200. Wondering if anyone has ground off the front of the center needle foot so that the needle point is visible while sewing? Or maybe it is interchangeable with another brand that has an open needle foot?

Leather Machines Company (Cobra) sells an inside foot with a slot that fits all 441 clones. Use one of their banner ads on top of our pages to go to their website and search for presser feet.

Might be as easy calling a dealer, its sure possible there is one available.

That sure makes it nice on other models being able to see the work a bit better.

I've noticed there's been some with a thread slot in them I have seen before, and its a good question seriously, so maybe someone can find something.

Floyd

The trouble with doing that is if your not careful when you pull what ever your sewing out you will break or bend the needle. You will have to pull slack in the top thread to take whatever your sewing out. I have one machine that's like that and I don't like it.

Hi, its Steve from Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia, Wiz is correct, Cowboy can supply both closed and open center feet.    General leather and saddlery training schools often prefer the open foot as the students can better see the stitch.   You shouldn't break the needle when pulling the thread out to cut, if its that tight then pull some from the top first or check that the lever separating the secondary (top) tension disks is engaging when you lift the foot.

Edited by Singermania

Yeah ground mine off, polished it up and it works just fine. 

My 4500 doesnt release much tension when lifting the tension release, never has always gotta pull thread from the top. Didnt realize that tension release actually worked on these things. It does split the top tension device just the bottom tensioner seems to hold the tension regardless.  

On 12/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Leather Machines Company (Cobra) sells an inside foot with a slot that fits all 441 clones. Use one of their banner ads on top of our pages to go to their website and search for presser feet.

Never scene that on there website, if they have it you have to call to order. 

Called Bob K.  I have one on the way.  He said that they just grind them down to get an open toe.

Good deal. Bob and his son I think it is do some nice work. There flat foot presser feet are nice as well.

the Cowboy CB4500 has a primary and a secondary tension unit, the primary ie bottom unit is a roller type and needs to be fairly loose or the roller wont turn, get most of your tension form the top unit.   If you pull thread thru the bottom unit and the unit does not rotate it either doesn't have any oil on the pads or is too tight.

There is an open toe inner foot available, we have a couple of bags full, however yes you can slip a cutting wheel in and make your own.....perfectly acceptable in my view.

Singer didnt know that about the tension units. The Steve and Bob videos always show adjusting both tension units in unison together (basically same tension on both). 

Edited by MADMAX22

Wouldn't like to go against what they say, its my own feeling on subject.   However logically if a roller guide unit is designed to rotate and it isn't then perhaps something is wrong.