mengmengbags

Pfaff 335 and clones

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an industrial sewing machine to sew bags mainly, with leather or fabric or a combination of both. I have been working on clones of Pfaff 335 (Havik HA-335-SI, as seen in the 1st picture and HA-335-HE, 2nd picture)  at the bag course I am following, and they both work well for me (although the SI got stuck on me once or twice and the HE is more reliable, according to my bag course teacher as well). Therefore I want to get a Pfaff 335 or a clone if it works as good as a Pfaff 335. After searching a bit on the internet, I came across the following brands for clones:

-Global (My bag course teacher told me not to buy Global though, don't know what reason)

-Typical

-Tysew 

With Havik I can find a dealer nearby but the guy who sells that brand isn't helpful at all. So my question is, does anyone know if these clones are as good and reliable as the original Pfaff 335? or if you know any other brand making clones of Pfaff 335 that work just as good? Really don't want to buy a machine that breaks down often. 

Thanks.

thumb_IMG_1109_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1111_1024.jpg

I cannot imagine why a dealer, locally would not want to sell a machine, especially in the biz to sell.

Maybe you can help clarify "more" how we can help your decisions, its always good to help another spend their money!.

Sounds like Christmas!

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

If the Havik dealer was more keen to replying to my messages, I would have bought one already. I am already reluctant to contact him again, really hate to feel like this if the machine needs to be repaired by him some day. Thats why I am looking for other dealers. 

Found this Typical dealer nearby as well, going to contact him for an appointment to see model TW3-P335. 

Had my eye on the Havik 335-HE model for 1600 euros, pretty much the highest I am willing to pay. 

At one point I thought a Pfaff would be ok for a few hundred euros extra, but if a clone works just the same and as reliable, and is cheaper, why not? 

Oh sorry! I had thought you went to the store, locally.  That issue is tough everywhere believe me, from experience just call in the morning when they have done one cup of coffee.

They will be glued, to the conversation, they actually like messin with machines not the pc or phone even. give them a ring : )

Later

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Are the "clones" as good as the German machine?

The answer is probably a qualified "no". In outright quality terms the Chinese are not quite there yet but there are many qualifications to the answer.

We all see thousands of second hand machines up to 100 years old make their way onto the craft market. Most have done a million miles of sewing in a factory them been passed along to multiple users because many factories upgrade their machines rather than spend money on maintenance. This is a lot of the reason why so many people have problems with second hand machines and have to spend money to get them "right"

We will see a lot of the current crop of Chinese machines make this journey as the basic engineering is pretty sound.

When buying a new machine for craft work things are different as you will not be running the machine flat stick every day with no oiling or cleaning (I hope). At low speeds and low use it is hard to wear a machine out so it comes down to having the machine set up properly by the dealer before you get it.

There are lots of dealers. Visit some and ask them to show you how they set up a machine

Depending on where you are located in the Netherlands, if you are close to Amsterdam, try visiting Andrevo to see if they have anything for you. They also have a selection of second hand machines.
I bought my Global there, know a few people who use the brand and have nothing to complain about it.

Best would be to visit them (or any dealer), you can try the machines and they can answer your questions better because they can show or point out differences directly on machines.

I'd recommend checking with Global Industrial Sewing machines - they're located in Haarlem, Netherlands. They carry new Global brand machines (http://www.globalsew.com/en/cylinderarm-walkingfoot.htm) and also lots of used machines. Global used to own the Minerva factory in the Czech Republic, which Durkopp Adler bought from Global. Certain Global machines come off the same Minerva production lines as the Durkopp Adler versions.