mixmkr

Good backup?...or low cost walking foot

Again...not sure if "Sailrite" is "allowed" around here.... but this seems like almost an impulse buy for the holiday pricing now on just the head.  Tempted for a backup.  Does 8mm straight and at $499 seems like a deal.   Wish this guy was a zig zag... 

http://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-111-Head-With-Accessories

Sailrite-111-Head-With-Accessories_1.jpg

There are so many machine brands used, purchased and sold around here many as this are certainly capable.

With that this here has casting like some others and I'm confident they share similar operations and so are clones of something else really.  In that I cannot say anything of specs that they might have, that I could discuss for better or worse.

I would say something similar to your 562 with reverse would be the ticket for your straight stitch usage. You did mention you had a table so its in the running for sure, put it on a spreadsheet or big chief tablet and do some compares.

Looks like a nice aluminum oil pan on the other side there, though I'm not positive if it can exchange with other machine heads if that matters.

I can say constructively just like to see others find the right machine so compare and be patient.

good day

Floyd

this is interesting to me....first because of the price but also because of the stitch length.  My LU562 only does about 6mm (right??) and this extends out to 8mm. 

It is a good-ish price but does not include table, motor or extra feet.

Dya wanna say that you can lift the foot of your LU562 6mm or... ? The LU562 and most if not all other Singer 111 type machines should be able to lift the foot approx 9.5mm - it´s just a question of how it is set up. Sailrite 111 is NOT a clone of the Singers 111. I think they just have "stolen" the 111 term to make the customers belief they have something Singer 111ish.

BRMAX is right, it has an oil sump so the machine has an oil pump and most likely needs ceratain rpm to pump the oil the the oil spots.

If I had to choose between a new Sailrite 111 and a used LU562 I would buy the LU562.

EDIT:

got it - you mean the stitch length (sorry) - well do you need and 8mm stitch length? I most of the time sew 5mm or below and rarely 6mm but of course depends on your project.

Edited by Constabulary

6 mm has been fine.   Sometimes I see longer but I'm not getting any pucker or anything.  Sometimes I just think the longer stitch length just looks better.  I just see that on factory or high quality work 

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

...Singer 111 type machines should be able to lift the foot approx 9.5mm - it´s just a question of how it is set up.

Where can I learn more about this?

Leatherator, download the manuals for the 152 - 155 models - they're free, just do a search - and they will have the nominal settings/adjustments (although these are for walking foot models). The 152 - 154 are set for 10 mm (3/8") and the 155 is 1/2" (I think, I know it has a higher lift than the others). I have mal-adjusted mine to take a thicker leather, but that creates additional problems as the needle bar then hits the leather unless it is also lifted and then you need longer needles and then if you want to sew thinner stuff you have to re-adjust everything back to normal...bit of a pain, really. Much easier to operate it within the constraints it was designed for.

I've used one before. It sewed well enough but it just had a bit of a flimsy feel to it as compared to the older machines I'm used to. I wasn't doing heavy leather or anything but I do think the price always reflects a bit of what you're getting.

Did I miss the first part, what Machine are you "backing up"?  What is the primary machine that you have?  Is it just me or does $500 sound like a lot for a backup machine?  For that kind of money you can get a great used machine with a table from Craigslist.  Plus you may want to get one different than your first machine like a post-bed, or a cylinder-arm setup. 

My backup is a a JUKI LU562.  I have no need for a non walking foot also.  My Craig's list has not had an industrial machine in the last two years....reaching out in a 200 mile radius, that was a "deal" even worth investigating..  I live in western KY.  Basically it's the plastic stuff or the old Singer stuff for home use.  The occasional Bernina of Pfaff or quilt making machines ...again for light duty material and/or the home use.

Edited by mixmkr

My area is hit or miss on CL, very very rarely if your off work and can respond in an hour of them posting you can get a good deal. Lately there have been several decent industrial machines but they are like a pfaff 145 for $1500, anything walking foot they usually want $1000 for (thats with a clutch motor and old table). The ones that go for $600/700 are usually gone then show up a few days later for $1000+.

I will give you the CL trick since your not in my area. You need to search outside the metro areas, and search for misspellings and alternative search terms othe than sewing.  Also people will list the "motor" like GE as the machine name, or they will just say "old treadle" and won't even include the word sewing in the post.  Sure they need work, but sometimes you get lucky.

Theses 9 or so machines were listed as "anyone interested in these"  

IMG_5305.JPG

I think a side loader can be a good choice for the work, that's involved. Although it would be a great idea for a reducer type pulley setup, just because it sounds like some pretty tough corners and certain extra heavy seam areas sometimes on the sails.

I know it can be a benefit in that canvas situation and similar to some leather stacks. So compromising a bit of speed would be worth it for the punch power through the thick stuff, besides your young so working canvas around the table, and not necessarily needing a puller yet! 

Could just keep an eye out for a ready to stitch machine in this instance, and if choosing used, I'd surely hope to hear so to help in anyway possible. Something for the biz part, It also depends some here if one has time to mess with working on a used machine as most do need adjustment. Sometimes in the year we might have time, usually its not the opportune time, as I recall. fwiw

good day

Floyd

On 18/12/2016 at 9:02 AM, Yetibelle said:

I will give you the CL trick since your not in my area. You need to search outside the metro areas, and search for misspellings and alternative search terms othe than sewing.  Also people will list the "motor" like GE as the machine name, or they will just say "old treadle" and won't even include the word sewing in the post.  Sure they need work, but sometimes you get lucky.

Theses 9 or so machines were listed as "anyone interested in these"  

IMG_5305.JPG

Wanty, wanty want, want.

If that lot were within 200km of me I would be there!!

Three 133 darners are interesting, a 29k machine is always good - even if just for parts, but the one at the far end looks seriously interesting.

Also look for Sowing and Sawing machines