Hi, everyone!

I recently purchased a couple of 4 Oz bottles of Resolene and Leather Balm with Atom Wax to add to my extensive portfolio of finishing options... that only include Tan Kote, besides the message mentioned earlier.

My question is: can these products be used together, in different stages on the finishing of one piece of leather? or are they incompatible with each other? I will be dyeing my leather with Fiebing's Pro Oil Dye Dark brown, in case that makes a difference.

I remember reading somewhere here that Resolene can be used as a resist before dyeing. if that's the case, what are the benefits of resisting vs not resisting? With just common sense as my ally, the term "resist" tells me that it's intended to affect the degree to which the rest of the products applied afterwards are absorbed into the leather.

I know that mileage may vary depending on the type of leather used, the conditions under which the products are applied, etc., but it would be nice to know some of the experiences of other members since the combinations for trial and error are just a step away from endless.

Thanks, Everyone!!

Efraín.

As a resist....

Dye your piece say a tan or light brown. Then add the resolene to the areas you want to stay that color. Two coats with ample drying time between. Then add antiqueing paste, gel, or darker stain to the rest of the piece. After buffing off excess, you should be left with a two tone effect. You will get your best effect with the resolene air brushed with a 50/50 water mix.

As to mixing the two, I'm unsure. The redolent will leave a stiff acrylic finish. The leather balm will condition and waterproof the item while adding flexibility. I don't think you would use them in the same piece.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this technique but I have read about it by the experts here dozens of times over. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, Biker... resisting makes a lot more sense now.

Now, about the balm: is it also diluted in water?

Yes u can mix these two together. I have been doing it for several years. I will apply it to the leather before I apply any dye. It will give u a brighter color. after u dye buffet it real good.

4 minutes ago, cowhide said:

Yes u can mix these two together. I have been doing it for several years. I will apply it to the leather before I apply any dye. It will give u a brighter color. after u dye buffet it real good.

thanks for the tip... do they go in any particular order?