Constabulary

Cast Iron Again - Pearson & Bennion / BUSMC A1

Nice looking machine. I love restoring machines, I have a few in the wings waiting. Time seems to be my restraint. I have a Singer 7-33 I've been waiting to restore for 4 years. Sigh. Nice work.

Regards, Eric

A quick shot of the mysterious bobbin winder, a restoration work in progress. The sprung parts which provide pressure onto the bobbin are in a parts drawer, as is the wooden handle knob. Definitely doesn't fit Pearson no6 bobbins (they are too long). The only markings are "No2" underneath and "2 T" on to, straddling the oil hole for the smaller pulley. I've never seen another winder which needs a leather belt!

IMG_20170122_214940368.jpg

I use a handcrank bobbin winder with a leather belt on it to wind the bobbins for my Singer 31-15, Singer 16-41, and Adler 205-64 machines.  It has a tapered shaft to mount the bobbin on, so it would work for some of my other machines too, but they’ve all got their own surface mount winders.  The 205-64 bobbin goes onto a piece of rubber tubing forced onto the smaller of the two tapered shafts.  I set the cone of thread on the floor or in a portable cone stand, crank with my right hand, and feed thread with my left hand.

CD in Oklahoma

20140721_03a.jpg

20161202_01.jpg

Machine551_19.jpg

On 23/01/2017 at 8:57 AM, Constabulary said:

You don´t want to "force" me to sell it, right? No, you don´t - or do you? :huh:

If I bought another machine, there would be 'ructions' in this household.    

I did show the hubby your pictures, but...........

4 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

If I bought another machine, there would be 'ructions' in this household.    

I did show the hubby your pictures, but...........

Tell him that life will be easier for you and him if you get another sewing machine, preferably a cylinder arm walking foot machine. Sporrans and Kilts can be sewn on cylinder arm machines; I've done it. Then the only "ructions" will be the happy sound of machines and gears going tapokita tapokita.

On 2017-01-23 at 3:57 AM, Constabulary said:

You don´t want to "force" me to sell it, right? No, you don´t - or do you? :huh:

I have one of these machines but it is still in the box it came in from a few years ago. Maybe I will make it my next project machine to see how it sews. I specialize in Restoring BUSM No. 6 machines and many parts appear to be the same, at least the screws. Mine has a complete treadle stand which is very attractive in itself.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'll let you know in 2 weeks how I make out with it.

Hey Henry, would be nice to see another A1 "alive". But the parts are totally different, maybe one or the other smaller screw from the #6 may fit but everything else is quite different. The #6 shuttle is WAY larger than the A1 shuttle.

I have two bobbin winders like that.  They originally came with sock knitting machines.  They work well with bobbins with 1/8" or so holes.

...sadly, my A1 did not have clear decoration so I just winged it with a few pinstripes after restoration. I added a handle to the flywheel. The stand still needs my attention.

A1.jpg

Very nice.

NICE - any chance that you have accessories that came with the machine? If so some pictures would be nice :)

Hi,

That's a nice machine you have there. I recently picked an A1 up at an auction but have since realised the shuttle is missing :(

This is probably a long shot but would anyone happen to have one or know where I may be able to source one?

The machine is reasonably complete apart from the missing shuttle. I have spare needles and bobbins. The decals have disappeared long ago I would say. It was used a a sail making firm here in New Zealand.

I can be contacted via my website www.institches.co.nz

Cheers,

Gary