Angus1235

Smoothing pebbled leather

I just got some boots which look very nice, but I'm not so keen on the pebbled effect on the surface. Is there a process I can use to 'flatten' the pebbling without causing any shrinkage? I don't mind if it isn't 100% smooth, though it is preferable.

Snapchat-5579653075100795365.jpg

Hi Angus:

My previous life was in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police where we were issued high brown pebbled riding boots.  We were taught to apply several heavy coats of shoe polish then iron the boot with a hot regular electric iron.  The heat flattens the pebbles but can also burn the leather if not careful.  Do not intend to use it to  iron your white shirt for Sunday Church Service.  Get a used iron at a Garage Sale or Flee Market.  Use the point and move in a circular motion approx. 2" in dia. Wipe excess polish while still hot as you go. Using a towel you can support the area of the hose being ironed while shielding your hand.   Use regular paste floor wax to clean boot.  Apply light coats of polish as you would on new shoes.  I kept my boots as a keepsake.  I got them in 1967 for Canada's Centennial and although they have not been overly worn I can bring them up to mirror like finish in no time. I'm sure members of the US military on this site have their own or similar recipes.  Good luck and let us know of the progress.

From the Great White North!!! 

Greenwood

On 16/12/2016 at 4:17 AM, Greenwood said:

Hi Angus:

My previous life was in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police where we were issued high brown pebbled riding boots.  We were taught to apply several heavy coats of shoe polish then iron the boot with a hot regular electric iron.  The heat flattens the pebbles but can also burn the leather if not careful.  Do not intend to use it to  iron your white shirt for Sunday Church Service.  Get a used iron at a Garage Sale or Flee Market.  Use the point and move in a circular motion approx. 2" in dia. Wipe excess polish while still hot as you go. Using a towel you can support the area of the hose being ironed while shielding your hand.   Use regular paste floor wax to clean boot.  Apply light coats of polish as you would on new shoes.  I kept my boots as a keepsake.  I got them in 1967 for Canada's Centennial and although they have not been overly worn I can bring them up to mirror like finish in no time. I'm sure members of the US military on this site have their own or similar recipes.  Good luck and let us know of the progress.

From the Great White North!!! 

Greenwood

Thanks for the help. The tricky bit will be finding a cheap iron :P

I'll try it on some spare pebbled leather first and then the boots and post plenty of photos!