spectre6000

Trying to figure out the basics

I take the back roads, but a lot of them have reduced speed limits now. Still, riding the Bonnie (2005 model, carbies, no computer) takes me back to the 60's/70's. In many ways a much simpler time. And yeah :specool:.

On 20/12/2016 at 10:28 PM, dikman said:

I take the back roads, but a lot of them have reduced speed limits now. Still, riding the Bonnie (2005 model, carbies, no computer) takes me back to the 60's/70's. In many ways a much simpler time. And yeah :specool:.

Last time I drove through SA was a back road to Ceduna and sat in the middle of the road at night doing about 180. The guy I was taking down there was shitting himself as he thought we would get booked by the coppers. "No wukkas mate, the road is dead flat and no trees so we can see about 5km ahead of us. Mind you if a Roo or Wombat walks out we are ed"

I think t

4 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Last time I drove through SA was a back road to Ceduna and sat in the middle of the road at night doing about 180. The guy I was taking down there was shitting himself as he thought we would get booked by the coppers. "No wukkas mate, the road is dead flat and no trees so we can see about 5km ahead of us. Mind you if a Roo or Wombat walks out we are ed"

I think that the Dingo ate your baby!

8 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

doing about 180

Never have been anywhere close to that fast on a road, but I have done a few "one-eighties" on roads covered with black ice over the years....

CD in Oklahoma

14 minutes ago, cdthayer said:

Never have been anywhere close to that fast on a road, but I have done a few "one-eighties" on roads covered with black ice over the years....

CD in Oklahoma

180 kph = ~ 112 mph

Darren only in your wildest dreams could you get your car up to 180kph...hhaha

Umm, tail wind?:lol:

As a much younger person I used to work in the country and regularly sat between 90 - 100 mph (nice big Ford V8). Wouldn't dream of it now, too many other idiots (and police cameras) out there now. Came close to 180 kms/hr on a bike once, scared the daylights out of me 'cos our main roads are, basically, crap! I'm a much more sedate driver now. I guess I've been lucky enough to survive my earlier years and would like to keep it that way.

Black ice? No thanks, you can keep it.

Spectre, you still out there mate? Still waiting to hear from you. You asked a question that, thus far, no one can answer. I guess we still don't understand exactly what the question is?

Edited by dikman

Drop bear got em.:lol:

19 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

Drop bear got em.:lol:

SHHHHHHush we been trying to keep quite about them:(

Yeah, it's an unspoken agreement amongst the media that they don't publicize "drop bear" incidents, otherwise the tourists would keep away in droves. You'll hear about kidnappings, murders, shark attacks , croc attacks (and stoopid politicians) but you'll never hear about drop bear attacks. They can smell tourists from miles away!

Are drop bear hunted similar to the way snipes are hunted?

No you should be safe mate. Can't talk just now the dingo needs another feed..........    

Since you KNOW so much, and can do anything why not just grab you tools and build your own machine. Then it will do everything PERFECTLY EVERY time. You talk about how wrong the machines you've seen pictures of are, if you know how wrong they are you have to know how to make them right.

On 22/12/2016 at 8:24 AM, Singermania said:

Darren only in your wildest dreams could you get your car up to 180kph...hhaha

It was a hire car - next best thing to a Formula One racer

Not sure if this already came up...in this heavy existential conversation over flat bed vs. cylinder arm machines;  but most cylinder machines have table tops that convert them into a flat-beds.  So you then have one machine that can do both.   

It's like Sewing Machine Magic!

I've read this thread 27 times and still don't understand THE question. :huh:

4 minutes ago, gottaknow said:

I've read this thread 27 times and still don't understand THE question. :huh:

This topic is similar to Bill Clinton saying "that depends on what your definition of 'is' is!" To my understanding, the OP wanted to know how to know what he needs to know, in order to determine what sewing machine he should look for, in the event he has a project come up that requires a particular type of machine. This "is" my understanding of what his "is" is.

12 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

This topic is similar to Bill Clinton saying "that depends on what your definition of 'is' is!" To my understanding, the OP wanted to know how to know what he needs to know, in order to determine what sewing machine he should look for, in the event he has a project come up that requires a particular type of machine. This "is" my understanding of what his "is" is.

Got it! In other words, he just needs to be old like us with our combined years of experience. That would be a good starting point. In all seriousness, I think your pinned thread on leather machines is outstanding.

Regards, Eric

5 hours ago, gottaknow said:

Got it! In other words, he just needs to be old like us with our combined years of experience. That would be a good starting point. In all seriousness, I think your pinned thread on leather machines is outstanding.

Regards, Eric

Amen:cheers:

12 hours ago, gottaknow said:

Regards, Eric

If he had half a brain and would listen to advice it may also help.

The OP is beyond help as he wants a machine to sew everthing from silk to saddles at 30 stitches per minute to 4500 spm. Possibly he also wants it to do off-the-arm chain stitch and edge carpets.

How bout if we cross breed a patcher with a blake and make the horn swivel 60% as well........or would we just end up cross eyeddddd :spoton:

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

How bout if we cross breed a patcher with a blake and make the horn swivel 60% as well........or would we just end up cross eyeddddd :spoton:

Stop sharing my secret Research and Development projects you bastard B)

This is one of the most useless threads in the whole sewing machine section. I´d suggest deleting it as there is no sense in it tat all. Or at least close it with an Admin´s comment at it´s end.

Edited by Constabulary

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

This is one of the most useless threads in the whole sewing machine section. I´d suggest deleting it as there is no sense in it tat all. Or at least close it with an Admin´s comment at it´s end.

I agree. However, this thread was not totally useless. It demonstrates the futility of trying to answer existential or theoretical questions about industrial sewing machines that are basically chunks of metal built for specific tasks. To make matters worse, the machines we use to sew leather are big, clunky beasts. Nothing beats hands on experience and actual use and experimentation.

Seeing as how we have explored every nuance of the whys and wherefores of this strange topic, I am closing it. It was both frustrating and fun at times.