13th century dagger scabbard, 2mm veg-tan over a balsa wood core. This was a pain to get right, mostly because I forgot how to get the tip right on the pattern somehow, so I had to throw away a first attempt that was 4mm too tight and wouldn't close at the tip. Also the wood core was 'roughly' cut when it was given to me by the owner, I had to sand it down to its present form and its still not even, so the tooling looks a little wonky now it's around the core. The tooling is based on late 12th/early 13th century finds, applied using tools from the same period and is appropriate for a minor noble or professional soldier. Bit rough and basic, but no better or worse than a number of the surviving examples.

The handle wrap is bound .8mm calfskin over leather and cord risers, I'd never attempted something like this before but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The risers feel present but not uncomfortable in the hand, comfortable in both forward and reverse grips. Got a few old swords that need refurbishing, so got plenty of chance to practice!

Any feedback or critique is greatly appreciated!

il_570xN.1107278754_fwau.jpg

il_570xN.1153882053_na5v.jpg

il_570xN.1107279426_tcco.jpg

il_570xN.1107283428_gtnq.jpg

That is really nice. Great job on that undertaking. 

That is beautiful! Did you emboss the design, or use a perfectly dull swivel knife?

The tooling was done using a brass stylus and a thin bone folder. Normally I have another slightly thicker folder I use to widen some of the lines, but I recently bought a new one at a reenactment market and wanted to test it. Still trying to research 13th century tools, so maybe one day I can use something less primitive!

That looks as good as anything in the reproduction catalogues... and extra bonus kudos for doing it with the period styled tools. That is above and beyond.

Wow looks awesome great job!

Fabulous