gwitsil

custom head knifes

I'm looking for a custom head knife. to anypne that might know a knbife smith. damascis considered. I will mount hanble material.  MUST HOLD AN EDGE. please email me! witsil58@gmail.com will be buying first of year.  witsil58@gmail.com   thanks witsil leathers.

I'm about to purchase one from knipshield knives. Look him up.

Knipshield knives work GREAT!  He made a replacement knife for my Dixon plough guage and I've been very happy.

There are several knifemakers on this forum, myself included that can make you a headknife. However, it sounds like you are just wanting the steel and plan to do the rest yourself. That is likely to limit your options.

This is a common request from those looking to save money, or those who have something special for a handle in their possession. If it is the latter, many knifemakers will work with you and allow you to supply handle material if it is appropriate to use on a build. If it is the former, than you may have to look a little harder or reconsider your price point. A knifemaker is a craftsman, and I don't know of many good craftsman that are content producing/selling unfinished goods. 

There are a few makers out there that will offer blades, not sure about round knives though. May not throw there makers mark on it considering you would be finishing it up. 

Pop over to blade forums if no  one here can help ya out, bunch more knife makers over there just gotta weed thru all the amateurs. If your looking for a one off style or damascus your gonna pay a decent amount even for just the unfinished blade. 

Another option or two is you can buy damascus or other steels in the correct thickness and size, send it off to get waterjet or laser cut to your pattern, send it from there to a heat treat person, then finish it up on your own. Probably be pretty pricey for a one off as I mentioned previously. 

Just depends on how much you wanna do and how much you wanna learn. Really besides heat treat the handle is the hardest part IMHO.