rvc

Normal Acrylic Paint on Edges?

I've been trying to duplicate the European filateuse method for doing edges. On veg tan I do it more traditionally but I explore this mainly because with chrome tan it seems sometimes like the only good option. Anyway, most of the products needed are acrylic and so basically water based and because I live in Finland there's a period of 4-5 months when I can't order these products because they render useless upon freezing. Sadly no one sells them here so going to a brick and mortar store is not an option. To bypass this I started testing with Fiebing's Acrylic Paint and it gave good results when heated on the edge. It smoothes nicely after the first application and heat and after that I just add more paint and maybe sand it a bit. Skip to today and we have winter again so I can't order even these and so I wondered if I could use traditional acrylic art paint which is readily available. It's a bit thick so I tried to thin it with water and then with Acrylic Resolene and it's ok to apply but it doesn't melt with heat the way the Fiebing's does. 

Does anyone have any idea what is the difference between the acrylic paints meant for leather and the other ones? Is there something I could add to make it more suitable? Maybe something that melts when heated?

Hi there  - here is my 2 cents:

On veg tanned leather - burnish the edges than use acrylic paint on it (for looks), just make sure to choose acrylic pain that is flexible when dry (something like Jacquard Lumiere paints).

On non veg tanned leather the Jacquard Lumiere paints should work. Again - test before you apply on your finished project. Also - what kind of products you try this on ?