Davi

Brown, perimeter stitched belt

Just completed a new belt for my girlfriends dads christmas present.

I definately made a couple little mistakes whilst making it but I can see an improvement over my first belts. Most obvious mistake was that I picked up teh wrong drive punch for the centre belt tounge hole. Id also of liked it if I could of got a more even coat of the brown dye.

Its the first time ive used stitching chisels and they definately improved the look of my stitching but I dont have quite as much of a slant as Id like to have. Going to have to re-watch Nigel Armitages' videos on using the chisels.

Please excuse the photos, Im a terrible photographer. Next year Im going to get a friend whos hobby is photography to start taking all my photos.

97EC7CBE-5509-4F0A-902E-5638AB04C264.jpg

23B80EB2-0498-4BF6-8BB4-F42AAAD613B6.jpg

08B95361-090C-4759-AFF1-6ACC4CF07268.jpg

928CF78E-72CB-4E15-A6EE-37A410EDB26C.jpg

01048EB3-6CB5-480B-8474-12DAB8108904.jpg

2C40528B-FE43-432E-9FDE-13F3601755A4.jpg

Edited by Davi

for the stitching I used the pro-line 3mm spaced chisels, le prevo 18/3 linen thread and 004 needles.

The colouring / finish is pro oil dye, then neatsfoot compound, topped with resolene and then carnuaba on top.

It looks pretty good to me. If you tap those stitches down it will make them lay down and look even better.

Thanks bikermutt. Can they be tapped down now that they've had a coat of resolene on them?

Looks good if i were you i would match up all the holes to the size on the centre hole.

Yes you can tap the stitches down.

I use a clear plastic bag wrapped around my work when tapping stitches down or blocking loops

it helps protect your work and being clear you can see where your hammer is hitting

Hope this helps jcuk

Edited by jcuk
forgot to mention

I call it good, and go with it.

He will be great full, I sure would.

The question made me think of them wood rollers in the glueing of furniture and what have ya, followed with the rolling, removing of air along with compressing.

good day

Floyd

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate the tips.

In the new year I need to make myself another 3 belts, 1 for my dad then 2 or 3 requests Ive had. By the time Ive done those Im hoping my stitching should be a lot more refined.

My next lot of stitching chisels arrived today. 4mm spacing to see how that looks. I wanted to order from teh same place as I did last time, The seller that Nigel Armitage ordered hsi from but they dont seem to stock them any longer apart from a few remaining ones. I ordered what I thought was the same make from an Australian seller but theyre much poorer quality and definately need a damn good polishing. Hopefully theyll work well enough though

Im also going to order some Tiger thread soon. The linen thread was fraying after a few holes due to them being smaller than when Ive used an awl. Because of that I had to do 4/5 shorter runs instead of just 1/2.