mixmkr

Presser foot source

Where are the presser feet available, specifically the middle foot with the "slot", so the thread can be pulled thru, rather than feeding it thru the hole?  Looking for walking feet for JUKI 562/563.

Or...are people just cutting a slot on existing feet?  I guess I can be careful!!  

I guess these Pfaff would work, except they have teeth, that I'd want to grind off...  But that middle foot is what I'm looking for.
PFAFF 145 545 1245 SINGLE LEFT TOE ZIPPER WALKING FOOT SET 40474 & 40475 1/4"

12_c79a4d81-dfba-49a1-8bce-2e71afe3fc4a_grande.jpg

I bought such a presser foot set (left toe presser and slotted inside foot: for standard walking foot machines) from Steve Tayrien, owner of Leather Machine Company (an advertiser here). I keep the inside slotted alternating foot installed all the time, only changing the outer presser foot as needed for various jobs. I don't recall how much they cost as it was a couple of years ago.

I too bought  various feet from Steve at leathermachineco.com.  He has always had time to answer my questions and get me what I needed.  I dont remember the feet being very expensive either.

thx guys.  Will get the 'late" Christmas list together....

The Pfaff 145/545/1245 style feet will not fit the Juki 562/563 or other Singer 111 class machines. They look similar, but the inner presser bar thickness and the needle hole offset are different.

If you can't find suitable ready-made feet, put a Dremel tool and a polishing wheel on your Christmas wish list. A simple metal saw blade and abrasive cloth will do the trick, too.

I had ordered some smooth, left-toed feet from NGO Sew on Ebay for under $20 some time ago.  They're cheap, nice and good candidates for modifications like cutting a slot. If you order two sets you won't feel super guilty if you mess one up.

The actual modification took all of three minutes. Finding the feet, photographing them and typing this post took 30 minutes.

_MG_2711.jpg_MG_2710.jpg_MG_2709.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 9.41.49 AM.png

Edited by Uwe
typo

thx again Uwe.  Yes, those tools are already in the arsenal.... I do an amount of gelcoat repair work also with my various high speed grinders.   I was going to probably just use a hacksaw!!  -D

However, I did buy some off Ebay...another seller.....we'll see.  I notice the Pfaff have different set screw locations too... just used the pic to illustrate the search

Edited by mixmkr

59 minutes ago, mixmkr said:

probably just use a hacksaw!

Depending on the hardness of the foot, the hacksaw may not cut and you just round off the teeth. If a file skates on the surface it is hardened and only carbide or abrasive cutting is going to be effective. Might get it done with a high quality lennox or starrett hacksaw blade, but the blade may not cut anything after. Those little red/maroon cutoffs for the dremel work great for slotting things. You can stack them up for thicker slots. Wear safety glasses. Those little wheels can come apart if you bind them in the slot with wigglelimp wrist....

I cut the slot with an angle grinder fitted with a 1mm stainless steel cutting disc.

I cut the slot with an angle grinder fitted with a 1mm stainless steel cutting disc.