I have a BUSMC #6HM but atm barely using it. Also have an BUSMC A1 - just recency acquired (if asking for BUSMC machines in general)

Edited by Constabulary

I have one too but needs a treadle.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.

Well, I have sewn max 20mm leather with it - test wise - thats the max. I was able to get under the foot when a needle guide is installed. I never will sew leather of this thickness regularly. I just hand cranked it and needle went through the leather like butter. I have not the most experience with this machine but some pro´s are, the needle feed only since you have no feed dogs marks on the bottom side and the adjustable presser foot - you can move the presser foot back and forth approx. 10mm.

Also these machines are easy to work with. I have restored mine - totally stripped it, cleaned it, painted it and put it back together and it sewed right away.  I had to adjust just thread tension a bit. You also can adjust some of the wear parts like the needle bar. These machines will probably last for ever if we have no nuclear strike.

I think folks who are using machines like the #6HM are not using them just because of these features. I think it also has a lot to do with the historical aspect and tradition of leather work and / or just the joy of using vintage machines in general.

Modern machines like the 441 clones are for sure more comfortable to use but as I said before - you cannot beat the joy of using vintage machines like this. For me it is a totally different thing sitting in front of a + 100 years old fully functional harness maker machine that generations of leather works / harness makers have used before I put my oily fingers on it. I have to admit I have not used a 441 yet but I have used and tested many other sewing machines of different classes but the older machines always had this certain something you sometimes cannot put in words. Maybe just the joy of seeing, feeling and hearing these old machines when working sometimes combined with a certain smell. Don´t know - maybe just passion for vintage machines?

Maybe others can tell you more....

Edited by Constabulary

I've done about 24mm of bridle with mine, using a pricking foot and no needle steady. Just like my friend above I have no regular need to see such thickness but was curious to see if I could do it.

I run one as well just the head for now. quite common it seems to find them without the treadle base. i will soon be retrofitting a base with servo motor and speed reducer. Once i had done research it seemed they are well known for a very consistent stitch, especially when using varying thicknesses in leather through the same work piece. i have no experience with running other leather sewing machines aside from testing some 441 clones while i was on the hunt for a machine. to my eyes it produces a nice consistent stitch and sure saves time on hand sewing belts :banana:

some things to watch for on used machines from talking with aaron martin harness; is the shuttle and its condition, they wear out where the bobbin thread wraps over them as well as the point on the shuttle. often they are built up with brass/ braising rod and re sharpened (about 650 cad new to replace). also the needle guide plate on the bottom if it has contact marks/lots of wear could be an indication of poor timing with the machine. needles are also scarce to find, but aaron martin does carry them.

all in all I love mine but that could be due a lot to my mechanical background and thoroughly enjoying the clickity clack it makes as I stitch away into the sunset.

cheers,

Matt B

p.s. photo for reference

20161211_131219_resized.jpg

Curious if the shuttles for the #6 will work with a Landis One? They look very similar, both the machine and the shuttle.  I've never even seen a #6, although I've always heard it is superior in a few ways to the Landis One.

@Big Sioux Saddlery i wonder if @Singermania would know. He has a huge collection of machines

I attached a picture of my shuttle for reference if that helps

Matt B

20160330_154400_resized.jpg

20160330_154427_resized.jpg

Thanks Matt, it's hard to tell from the picture. Even though they look very similar, just a little difference in dimensions could make the difference. I have a supply of extra Landis One shuttles, and even of those, some work better in one machine than another, and some don't work in any of them! Once too much material has been worn or taken off the nose, they don't work anymore. Your shuttle looks to be in excellent condition; is it one from Aaron Martin? 

Oh i could believe that would make a difference, seems thats the beauty of these old machines.

This picture i believe is one from aaron martin, when i bought my machine the gentleman i bought it from had a second with a treadle base but wanted to much money in my opinion. He had just sent it to aaron martin to have it repaired so they very well could have replaced the shuttle.

The shuttle in my machine had substantially more wear but the point was still sharp and had not been soldered/ brazed on. That being said i bit the bullet and bought a new one from aaron martin to keep the original one in semi decent shape.

I'm getting the #6 back that came with our ranch when Dad bought it in the 40's.  Can't wait!  I've got a Landis #1 and it's a fine machine, but that particular Pearson has history with me, so it'll be good to get it home again.

John

HI all, whilst I have dozens of No 6 bobbins I've never owned the Landis no 1, there is no doubt that one copied the other, after all the companies were USMC and BUSMC.   I would love to try the Landis no 1 shuttle in a No 6.   Whilst there is a fair bit of slack around the shuttle in its no 6 bed the length to the nose is more critical to pick up the thread.. as you'd imagine.

A Landis no. 1 Shuttle will not work in BUSM No. 6. They are different sizes.

If anyone wants a new Pearson no. 6 shuttle I have new ones in stock. They are $250.00US each and are complete and perfect. I supplied them to Aaron Martin. I also have new feet, rollers (long and short) that go into the front flywheel, needle bar thread tension plates and the thread lock plates (the ones at the top right part of the machine where the thread goes between them). I also have the little springs and screw for the shuttle cover. These are all new stock and are excellent.

Feel free to contact me:

Henry Veenhoven

416-231-1870 or veenhoven@sympatico.ca

Henry,

Thank you for the info.  We definitely have people on this site looking for those parts.    Can you send us a few pics of the new shuttles and other parts you have.  I think the members would like to se them.  I know I would and I don't even own a  #6!

glenn

I have the machine,  but no treadle, grrrr...... But hand cranking works fine though.

I mostly use it for punching holes prior to hand stitching, haha. Don't realy have the need for sewing heavy leather stuff which this machine was designed for I guess. 

My adler 220 does most of my machine stitching.

The Pearson is standing in the corner of my living room. I often hand cranked it for a few seconds just to hear and see it work. Best sound in the world. And the moving parts......wow, I just love it.

Just got back after picking up my new toy - a BUSM  no.6 with treadle, tomorrow I get to find space in my workshop and put it back together then play. I once said I was going to everything by hand, now I have 2 no.6's , 2 45k's , a skiver, powered splitter (as well as several hand splitters) , now I need to enlarge the workshop as no space to work everything ! 

Why not just keep this this thread alive? Putting some picks, clips, issues in it once in a while. Finished work etc...

I would definitely like to see more pics and finished work on these machines. There is not a lot out there on the net.

Or is this against forum rules?

Sandy.

I've been trying to get pictures of my pearson #6 and some of the stitching but so far I keep getting the picturesv th oo big and they won't post. I just changed phones and can't seem to get them to resize. Hopefully I can soon. I really like the stitch quality and simplicity of function as well as the precision you can sew with these machines