49 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I managed to get hold of a pack of Schmetz 160s a couple years ago. Even with a no.4 needle steady I got a lot of breakages, which was painful at about £2/needle. There was a 3-1/2 size needle, which is pretty much a 180 -- I have some old IVIs which came with the machine. AFAIK there's no current production for the 331 needle class -- we're still using up the last batch of however many millions Schmetz was convinced to make.

The manual suggests using a size 3 needle (nm160) with 18/3 linen for sewing around winkers/blinkers @ 10SPI. Is that a common size thread for that sort of job, or was this one of those weird late Victorian show/dress/fancy harness things?

25 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

The last  time I talked with Schmetz they wanted an order of 10,000.

Sad to hear of your needle breakages, don't forget when you change needle size to adjust the needle follower under the needle plate, correctly adjusted its a whisker from the needle and stops it bending backwards under load, this will reduce needle breakage and also dropped stitches when heavy materials pull across the arm.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:43 AM, Constabulary said:

I´m pretty sure it could (technically) but the largest needle you can find at most dealers is is 230 metric. Some may have larger needles but you barely find them on the "free market" meaning the WWW.

So what needle would you suggest for the 7 cord waxed Irish linen thread , sewing 12 oz. leather?

the old Singer manual test was holding the thread taut at 45 degrees and seeing if the needle slid down it, or I find if the thread is difficult to shove thru the eye of the needle then you need a bigger needle, or if it slops about then a smaller needle.   In the end the machine will sew badly with the wrong needle.

6 hours ago, atexascowboy said:

So what needle would you suggest for the 7 cord waxed Irish linen thread , sewing 12 oz. leather?

Nm300, though you might get away with 280. The test that Singermania suggests is a good one.

37 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Nm300, though you might get away with 280. The test that Singermania suggests is a good one.

Thank you Matt.

I have located a few 300 chisel points and will purchase them.

I just hated to buy the machine and then find out that it wouldn't work for what I needed.  This really brightens my outlook for this machine.

2 hours ago, Singermania said:

the old Singer manual test was holding the thread taut at 45 degrees and seeing if the needle slid down it, or I find if the thread is difficult to shove thru the eye of the needle then you need a bigger needle, or if it slops about then a smaller needle.   In the end the machine will sew badly with the wrong needle.

Thank you Singer.

Seeing as the 7 cord is fairly thick I will go ahead and purchase a pack of the 300s. 

Not knowing anything about sewing I am having the machine setup prior to shipping in order to bypass a lot of headaches .

The above post is the bobbin winder I made for my Pearson # 6.  Had trouble getting it loaded and text didn't seem to get on.  Sorry if I did something wrong  mods.

Edited by catskin

2 minutes ago, atexascowboy said:

Is this a homemade bobbin winder ?

Yes it is.  I started with a winder from a 100 old year old sock knitter .  Made a new top shaft with pully and the part that the other end of the bobbin runs in.  I tried to post 2 pictures from different angles but got a message that I could not.   Will try to post the others on separate posts.

1 minute ago, catskin said:

Yes it is.  I started with a winder from a 100 old year old sock knitter .  Made a new top shaft with pully and the part that the other end of the bobbin runs in.  I tried to post 2 pictures from different angles but got a message that I could not.   Will try to post the others on separate posts.

Thanks. I may have to give it a go.

Tried to post more pictures but got a message that I have reached my limit.  If anyone wants more pictures please private message me your email and I will email more pictures.

Hi all.  We have what I think is a Pearson HM, possibly pre  #6.  The main difference I've noticed is in the shuttle, in that it has a series of open holes and no tension springs except for the one under the bobbin, perhaps to stop the thread loosening off.  Does anyone know which model machine this is, possible date?  Also how the shuttles are threaded?  I was wondering if each hole marks 1/8 decrease in leather thickness?  TIA

S4430007.JPG

S4430008.JPG

S4430009.JPG

S4430010.JPG

S5520001.JPG

S5520002.JPG

S5520003.JPG

S5520004.JPG

S5520005.JPG

S5520006.JPG

S5520007.JPG

S5520008.JPG

S5520009.JPG

S5520016.JPG

Edited by MariaMS
adding more pics

The other machine we have is somewhat the worse for wear, having possibly been involved in a fire at some point in it's life...... thoughts on the model, again possibly a Pearson of some type?  I have a feeling I saw a container which could well hold some of the missing pieces, but I hold little hope of getting it back to a working machine.  I will uplift it from the Livery onto my operating table once the Singer 7-5 has a place to sit, and have a closer look.

S5520010.JPG

S5520011.JPG

S5520012.JPG

S5520013.JPG

S5520014.JPG

S5520015.JPG

2 hours ago, MariaMS said:

Hi all.  We have what I think is a Pearson HM, possibly pre  #6.  The main difference I've noticed is in the shuttle, in that it has a series of open holes and no tension springs except for the one under the bobbin, perhaps to stop the thread loosening off.  Does anyone know which model machine this is, possible date?  Also how the shuttles are threaded?  I was wondering if each hole marks 1/8 decrease in leather thickness?  TIA

S4430007.JPG

BUSM#2.. regular arm length (could be a BUSM#1 .. literature is vague at best)..also take a look at my albums in this forum ..shows restoration of this one pictured...I also have a BUSM #2 long arm

I just pass the thread through respective holes to get the right tension.. hadn't considered thickness sewn..may impact as well.

Screenshot_20220406-000858~2.png

1 hour ago, MariaMS said:

The other machine we have is somewhat the worse for wear, having possibly been involved in a fire at some point in it's life...... thoughts on the model, again possibly a Pearson of some type?  I have a feeling I saw a container which could well hold some of the missing pieces, but I hold little hope of getting it back to a working machine.  I will uplift it from the Livery onto my operating table once the Singer 7-5 has a place to sit, and have a closer look.

S5520010.JPG

BUSM #6 (or HM6)

Early British United model when they started producing the Pearson .. 

Quite a few parts missing which can be expensive (or not available at all) or time consuming to recreate..

I have 3 x BUSM #6's and 1 x Pearson #6 (also worse for wear but still reasonably complete..be a labour of love to restore..the table is sagging! - real strange! )

Screenshot_20220419-152938~3-2.png

3 minutes ago, gordond said:

Early British United model when they started producing the Pearson ..

great, thanks! Any idea of dates for either of the two models?  At the moment I simply have "pre 11900"

Can't recall ... There might be info on this forum..think someone did pinpoint the dates via the serial number ...

Might take a while to search through the forum.. hopefully someone will chime in.

1 minute ago, gordond said:

.think someone did pinpoint the dates via the serial number ...

Where are the serial numbers?  I did track the brass plaque of the supplier  H Oscar Hewwit to around 1910 via Papers past..... there is also a bit on the BUSM on Wikipedia, so I can add that in too for now.  Ta for your help!!!

On the flywheel near the handle..

And also on the head above the needle arm

5 minutes ago, gordond said:

6218?

6218.jpg

Looks legit... Had a search .. couldn't find the date info .. there are a few here that have more info than I do ... see if someone can contribute

7 minutes ago, gordond said:

Looks legit... Had a search .. couldn't find the date info .. there are a few here that have more info than I do ... see if someone can contribute

I got as far as this  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_United_Shoe_Machinery  

so somewhere between 1900 and 1910 possibly.  Unless it is a date - 6/2/18

Edited by MariaMS

Circa 1899 onwards..

Serial number not date related (afaik)..

There is quite an amount of info on this forum to wade through..lol!