I wish I knew more about there but here's a pic of one we have ser#9446 & it has a spring for tension on the shuttle.

Pearson.JPG

Shuttles are different... BUSM#2 smaller and no inner tensioning spring

IMG_20220420_012814833~3.jpg

IMG_20220420_012857896~3.jpg

@CowboyBob Perhaps you can help with this:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/100673-looking-for-help-to-value-items/

There is a Pearson #6 that  the owner would like some help on, amongst other items. 

HS

6 hours ago, gordond said:

Shuttles are different... BUSM#2 smaller and no inner tensioning spring

Any chance of a pic of the inside of your BUSM#2 shuttle without the bobbin?  I'm wondering if the one I have was retrofitted......Also interesting you threaded the tension holes direct from the bobbin.... the domestic transverse shuttles I've seen go around the bar on the opposite side first as it allows the thread to pull off more evenly..... I admit I haven't used our HM much so haven't tried it threaded that way yet - but interested to know your thoughts as per the pic with orange "threading"

8 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

I wish I knew more about there but here's a pic of one we have ser#9446 & it has a spring for tension on the shuttle.

Thanks!! yeah it would be cool to have a database of serial numbers and photos.... but I guess that would be a huge job... any chance of a pic inside the shuttle without the bobbin?

S5520016.JPG

threading idea.jpg

Edited by MariaMS
double up

Threading you have is correct... pretty much standard for these shuttle types... can't recall why I left mine this way ...

At the day job ..will post inner photos later tonight... There was one thing I did spot this morning (remnants of a fitting - not quite sure ) and I will compare against the other #2 shuttle I have.

IMG_20220420_012814833~4.jpg

IMG_20220420_012857896~4.jpg

aaah... now I remember...

BUSM #2 Shuttles compared..but they both work.. the extra outer piece seen is non adjustable.. hardly a tension spring per se..

I have seen a few #2 shuttles over the last decade or so and all are missing this piece

IMG_20220420_190025868~3.jpg

IMG_20220420_185851223~3.jpg

7 minutes ago, gordond said:

aaah... now I remember...

BUSM #2 Shuttles compared..but they both work.. the extra outer piece seen is non adjustable.. hardly a tension spring per se..

I have seen a few #2 shuttles over the last decade or so and all are missing this piece

IMG_20220420_185851223~3.jpg

excellent - great to see the inner spring.  I tried ours out today, but the spring has sharp edges rather than rounded - I found it is an issue when the bobbin is fully wound, as the pressure is so high it causes the thread to jam and pull into itself.  I unwound it a layer and it was heaps better, managed to get quite a stretch of a reasonably tensions row of stitches...... as usual forgot to get pics.... will get net time I am up there.

This is the long arm BUSM#2 housing the complete shuttle.

It will never be restored to concours condition as it too survived a fire at it's  Owaka Wool shed home.. complete with sooty remnants still in it's nooks and crannies. No signs of frostbite or wind damage..lol!  (I haven't been back to Owaka for 20 years ..Riverton was bad enough ..even colder than minus 15 deg C  blast in Denver)

FB_IMG_1560118851242.jpg

BTW .. searching through PC photos today.. unrelated.. stumbled across a  BUSM #2 (web search from some time ago) that is(?) in the Marlborough museum.

Also there was a Singer 97-10 in Wanaka .. museum? . but not the National Transport one ?. .....Edit: was located in the Transport museum ..circa 2009. (courtesy Trevor K ...forum member).

Edited by gordond
Add update

On 4/20/2022 at 8:18 PM, gordond said:

This is the long arm BUSM#2 housing the complete shuttle.

It will never be restored to concours condition as it too survived a fire at it's  Owaka Wool shed home.. complete with sooty remnants still in it's nooks and crannies. No signs of frostbite or wind damage..lol!  (I haven't been back to Owaka for 20 years ..Riverton was bad enough ..even colder than minus 15 deg C  blast in Denver)

What a beauty!!  Nice history too.  DO you know of anyone selling needles for the  BUSM #2 machines in New Zealand?  I only have one - it would be great to start using it more often on the various bits of harness in the Livery, but I don't because of the lack of any spares.

Possibly Sewingtime Auckland.

It uses a 331 system needle.  same needle as the BUSM #6 (Pearson 6)

10 hours ago, gordond said:

Possibly Sewingtime Auckland.

It uses a 331 system needle.  same needle as the BUSM #6 (Pearson 6)

ta.  I'll get in touch with them.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:19 PM, gordond said:

Looks legit... Had a search .. couldn't find the date info .. there are a few here that have more info than I do ... see if someone can contribute

...I have not got 6218 on the Pearson Register. May I have name and location please.

Just out of interest, I have 6280 belonging to Gerry Johnstone from Christchurch, New Zealand