steelhawk

Rubber Bushing For A Holster

I received a holster to duplicate from a customer. The original maker is no longer in business due to illness. It  has a fairly firm rubber disc inside. It looks like it came round, but he drilled a hole in it.

I have two questions for you guys here.  First, does anyone know where I might get the rubber?

Second, what are your thoughts on this kind of holster construction?

Sorry, I forgot to attach photos. It isn't vacuum hose.

HolsterAndBushing.jpg

RubberBushing.jpg

Edited by steelhawk

You can get them a number of places, or f you just need a couple -- from about any auto parts or hardware store (vacuum hose).

It isn't vacuum hose, but I could use that. JLS, what are your thoughts of using it at all?

Many people just use hose.  Many people have done it this way for many years. It works.

Kydex holster makers use a lot of this stuff. Me too.

If you want to pay for a product  here are some choices.  All the other pieces you need are there as well.

http://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=553_639

http://www.shopdiyholster.com/o-rings/

http://www.ifithermoplastics.com/products/spacer

Edited by HBAR

Exactly --- that's all it is.. just a rubber spacer (washer).  Order them, or cut them how thick you want them from a rubber hose (which, as I said, you can get in any auto parts store).

Personally, I think they're a great way to go.  Let the buyer set the tension to the level they want.  But I dont' care for the one in the pic.. I want the tension in the BOTTOM end of the holster.... for a number of reasons...

Edited by JLSleather

A hardware store like Lowes that has assortments of hard to find items.  Usually found  in display boxes stocked by the nuts, bolts, and assorted metal stuff.  Some of the faucet washers may also work.

I've used rubber fuel line cut to the length you need it.  Have them in a couple kydex holsters I've made so I can tweak the retention.  

23 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Exactly --- that's all it is.. just a rubber spacer (washer).  Order them, or cut them how thick you want them from a rubber hose (which, as I said, you can get in any auto parts store).

Personally, I think they're a great way to go.  Let the buyer set the tension to the level they want.  But I dont' care for the one in the pic.. I want the tension in the BOTTOM end of the holster.... for a number of reasons...

Hey JLS,

would you mind elaborating on your preference for the tension unit being at the bottom end?   I've seen it done both ways fairly equally and I'm curious as to your reasoning.  Thanks in advance. 

My question is... How thick do you make the bushing? Give or take.

I also like the idea of putting the tension at the 'bottom end.' I just think it looks better, but I would like to know any better reasons for doing it.

I don't know what the material is for the spacer in your picture, but I use vacuum hose. It took some shopping around to find some that was the consistency I was looking for, most was very hard and gave no compression to adjust fit. I checked numerous hardware and auto supply stores. I finally found what works for me at a local auto parts store. It works with the screws, t-posts, and Chicago screws I use. I buy it by the foot and cut it into the lengths I want.

My picture is not great, but you can see the vacuum hose next to the magazine. The piece in your picture looks to have a greater diameter than vacuum hose.

100_2857.JPG

Ace Hardware would also be a good place for hardware in general.  Almost as good as Fastenal.